• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where

glock1741

imported post

I attempted to open carry today and my wife got extremely upset stating that if she were walking down the street and saw a gun on my hip she would call a LEO, to which I replied, "that is as much your right as it is mine to carry." After further discussion I realized that for obvious reasons, she holds the trump card and chose not to argue anymore. Does anyone know where I can find the regulations and/or provisions for Wisconsin that outlines the open carry so that I can easily "show" her that, "HEY, IT'S MY (and your) RIGHT." It makes me upsets me that if someone disagrees with anothers religous belief that the state will tell them, "You have to deal with it, it's their right to practice freedom of religon," but then turn around and not lift a finger to help those of us whom legally obtain a firearm to carry it. The cost for us to "DEFEND OURSELVES," is essentially all ours, who's standing up to those "uptight" people and saying, "You have to deal with it. It's their right to keep and BEAR arms." I also spoke to a LEO whom told me that he would prefer that concealed carry be passed, it will make his job easier due to frivalous calls of "a man with a gun" and that he doesn't disagree with our right to keep and bear arms. With this, I would just like to say, anyone who can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. If I can win the battle at home I can attempt to carry elsewhere, but I need to prove that I am NOT breaking the law and that IT IS MY RIGHT. Thank you to all and working together, we'll keep our consitutional rights, not only for carrying, but for those issues that are controversial. We are all americans and I stand by my freedoms like I stand by my flag, with PRIDE.

Agent1187

imported post

Unfortunately, in Wisconsin, there is not law specifically stating that we CAN open carry, rather there are no laws saying we can't (Besides the purpose of a law is to prohibit an action, rather than allow). Basically, you are stuck fighting a stigma, rather than simply exercising a right. Even my long time girlfriend (who is quite gun friendly, and can even outshoot me with a pistol) was quite taken aback when I told her of my plans to open carry. Maybe it would help if that LEO you spoke with would talk to your wife and explain that it's entirely legal...

UTOC-45-44

imported post

glock1741 wrote:
I attempted to open carry today and my wife got extremely upset stating that if she were walking down the street and saw a gun on my hip she would call a LEO, to which I replied, "that is as much your right as it is mine to carry." After further discussion I realized that for obvious reasons, she holds the trump card and chose not to argue anymore. Does anyone know where I can find the regulations and/or provisions for Wisconsin that outlines the open carry so that I can easily "show" her that, "HEY, IT'S MY (and your) RIGHT." It makes me upsets me that if someone disagrees with anothers religous belief that the state will tell them, "You have to deal with it, it's their right to practice freedom of religon," but then turn around and not lift a finger to help those of us whom legally obtain a firearm to carry it. The cost for us to "DEFEND OURSELVES," is essentially all ours, who's standing up to those "uptight" people and saying, "You have to deal with it. It's their right to keep and BEAR arms." I also spoke to a LEO whom told me that he would prefer that concealed carry be passed, it will make his job easier due to frivalous calls of "a man with a gun" and that he doesn't disagree with our right to keep and bear arms. With this, I would just like to say, anyone who can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. If I can win the battle at home I can attempt to carry elsewhere, but I need to prove that I am NOT breaking the law and that IT IS MY RIGHT. Thank you to all and working together, we'll keep our consitutional rights, not only for carrying, but for those issues that are controversial. We are all americans and I stand by my freedoms like I stand by my flag, with PRIDE.

There have been divorces for less...

No offense, but she needs to get a reality check.

My wife was a little bit leary in the beginning due to the fact that she didn't want LEO approaching. She got use to it, doesn't care anymore. She feels that I can carry myself thru LEO stops due to the experiences that I have had with LEO's.

I wonder why she is so against OCing ? What's her angle and reasoning ?

TJ

smithman

imported post

As I understand it, you can legally do whatever you want in America, subject to two restrictions:

1) The equal rights of others

2) Laws prohibiting certain activities

Maybe have your wife try to convince you that OCing is violating one of these two things. She won't be able to justify that OC is illegal.