• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going around town in the truck

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I am new here obviously and am 19. Anyways my mom is pretty anti-gun, but I am going to educate her on guns and provide her with statistics. Hopefully I will have a handgun soon and if not, I will have one the day I turn 21, which is coming up here in a year and 6 months. Anyways when I am traveling in my truck in VA, how would I open carry? Do I need to make sure the gun is not chambered and sitting in the passenger seat or something like that? Could I just have it holstered at my side not chambered?

Thanks guys! Oh yes, I am looking at getting a Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm as my first handgun :D

WhatTimeIsIt?

imported post

I also drive a pickup and I leave it on my right hip. It remains fairly visible and I do not like to handle my weapon more than necessary. I always keep a round chambered, but that's up to you.

Neplusultra

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Gun stays on my hip with a round chambered. An unloaded gun is an expensive paper weight IMO.
Just noticed I quoted you eyesopened, I'm actually address the OP.

I would keep it in the holster unless you get pulled over. If you were to get into an accident a loaded gun bouncing around the cab would not be good. If you get pulled over put the gun on the passenger seat or up on the dash more than an arms reach away (or just make sure that it's in plain sight on your hip) and keep both hands on the steering wheel in plain sight. Notify the officer that you are open carrying. I also make a "W" with my thumbs and forefingers which some police will understand as the sign for a weapon in the vehicle. If he knows you're not trying to hide anything and trying to make him comfortable there should be no problem.

If I am CC I don't say or do anything unless asked about it.

Edit: Actually I remember now of a report of a police officer being killed by a loaded shotgun in a car that was overturned. A wrecker was righting the car and when it landed rightside up the gun went off and killed him. He was standing perhaps 20 feet away.

mkl

imported post

" If you get pulled over put the gun on the passenger seat or up on the dash more than an arms reach away"

I wouldn't think removing your gun from a holster and doing anything with it is the right thing to do while a cop is/has pulled you over.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

That is a good way to get the cop to run up to your window with his gun drawn. AFor example I could actually be reaching over towards the glove box to pull out a gun. I would think leaving it on the hip and notifying him when he gets to the window that you are OC would be better. Obviously keep hands on the wheel so the officer doesn't believe that you are going for the gun until he tells you to grab liscense and registration.

If he asks for it should I slowly draw it out and point it towards the passenger side, release the clip, then rack it back to clear the round from the chamber?

Neplusultra

imported post

mkl wrote:
" If you get pulled over put the gun on the passenger seat or up on the dash more than an arms reach away"

I wouldn't think removing your gun from a holster and doing anything with it is the right thing to do while a cop is/has pulled you over.
The idea is that you do it before he gets out of his vehicle and only if your seat "conceals" the gun too much. I sure as hell wouldn't suggest doing so as he is walking towards your vehicle :)

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
That is a good way to get the cop to run up to your window with his gun drawn. AFor example I could actually be reaching over towards the glove box to pull out a gun. I would think leaving it on the hip and notifying him when he gets to the window that you are OC would be better. Obviously keep hands on the wheel so the officer doesn't believe that you are going for the gun until he tells you to grab liscense and registration.

If he asks for it should I slowly draw it out and point it towards the passenger side, release the clip, then rack it back to clear the round from the chamber?
Again the idea is that you put the gun in plain sight and have your hands on the steering wheel when he approaches. You surely would not unholster when he is approaching of when he can see what you're doing. I would do it as soon as I stopped the vehicle and then put both hands on the steering wheel.

As far as what you do next I would say just do what he tells you to do and nothing more. Always keep your hands in sight and if he asks you to exit the vehicle open the door using the outside handle.

eyesopened

imported post

Since you posted in the VA section, by law we do not have to notify the LEO that we are armed concealed carry or open carry. I'm sure some LEOs would appreciate be notified, but it is your discretion.

vrwmiller

imported post

mkl wrote:

I agree. If I am being pulled over, I am not touching the firearm, no matter where it may be.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

But is it ok to carry it in a side holster and leave it there if I was pulled over? I don't think it is so smart to be fiddling with it when the LEO is behind you. Anyways I guess my question is is on the waist considered an open carry in the car?

Neplusultra

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
But is it ok to carry it in a side holster and leave it there if I was pulled over? I don't think it is so smart to be fiddling with it when the LEO is behind you. Anyways I guess my question is is on the waist considered an open carry in the car?
There was some debate about this awhile back. It is OC IMO but if you are concerned that it's too concealed and there might be an issue put it on the seat but NOT while the cop is out of his vehicle. If he's still in his car he's not going to see what you're doing so as long as your hands are on the wheel, where they should be, there shouldn't be a problem. But you need to do what you are comfortable with.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I don't like to wear mine while I'm driving. It will wear a hole in the seat over time. I have a one size fits all holster on a strap that I hang over the headrest on the passenger side.

It's visible but the first thing the cop will look at is the shotgun and rifle in the rack.

I haven't gotten a moving violation in more years than you've been on earth ...but I get pulled for stickers once in a while. Never had a problem.

67GT390FB

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I don't like to wear mine while I'm driving. It will wear a hole in the seat over time. I have a one size fits all holster on a strap that I hang over the headrest on the passenger side.

It's visible but the first thing the cop will look at is the shotgun and rifle in the rack.

I haven't gotten a moving violation in more years than you've been on earth ...but I get pulled for stickers once in a while. Never had a problem.

peter, it wouldn't be a sticker like this would it?

51JV5KF30RL._SL500_AA250_.gif

Bullbuster

imported post

I drive around with it on my right hip as well. I leave the arm rest up to make it more visible from the passenger side. If I didn't then it would be blocked from view and thus not making it visible as per the law.

tapper95

imported post

One point better than on the steering wheel, I roll all windows down unless it is raining or freezing and place my hands on my window sill (Seriously inclement weather I would only roll my own window down). If anyone is riding with me, I advise them to keep their hands in plain sight.

The key is, once the officer exits his vehicle, you better have your hands in clear view and do not move. People talk about having your license and registration ready, but if the officer is approaching, stop and wait for him to tell you what to do. If you have to make a reach to a back pocket for a wallet or a glove box for a regisration, tell the officer what you are about to do. Being young, it also wouldn't hurt to tell the officer that your parents told you to do all this in case you got pulled so he doesn't think you are used to being detained by the police... ;)

Also, don't forget that there may be two officers... If you are looking for one to exit his car on the driver's side, there may already be one coming up on your passenger side, and if this is the case, they may be looking for someone that they feel they need to worry about... What if your car matches the description of an APB?

I haven't been pulled in years, but back when I drove less intelligently than I do now, I got let off with a warning more times than I got ticketed because I was polite and did everything possible to let the officer know this was going to be a simple and routine traffic stop.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I drive slow now anyways. I got one speeding ticket and I will not go more than 5 over. I do have a rather large lifted red F150 w/ 35's on it though. haha What a pain getting through drive throughs! I put a CB radio where that tray on the dash was or else I could have just put it there. I have a bench seat also but I always have the arm rest down as per my custom center console in the back seat w/ two 10's. :lol:

Anyways my dad told me we are getting a .22 Beretta pistol when I get home and we'll go from there. I'll learn to shoot and proper safety skills on the .22 before moving to the Beretta PX4 storm 9mm. They don't make a holster for the .22 that is cheap and why carry a .22 pisol anyways?:lol:When I travel around with the .22 I will probably just have it in a locked case to go to the range in. Other than that it may sit in the front seat.

tapper95

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I drive slow now anyways. I got one speeding ticket and I will not go more than 5 over. I do have a rather large lifted red F150 w/ 35's on it though. haha What a pain getting through drive throughs! I put a CB radio where that tray on the dash was or else I could have just put it there. I have a bench seat also but I always have the arm rest down as per my custom center console in the back seat w/ two 10's. :lol:

Anyways my dad told me we are getting a .22 Beretta pistol when I get home and we'll go from there. I'll learn to shoot and proper safety skills on the .22 before moving to the Beretta PX4 storm 9mm. They don't make a holster for the .22 that is cheap and why carry a .22 pisol anyways?:lol:When I travel around with the .22 I will probably just have it in a locked case to go to the range in. Other than that it may sit in the front seat.
I was actually thinking about suggesting a .22 to start with... My first shots were with a .22 revolver, a .22 rifle, and later a Ruger Mark II .22 which is a fantastic line that Ruger now has up to either Mk III or IV, I haven't kept up... anyway... .22 is the way to go at first. It allows you learn the real mechanics of aiming, trigger pull, and basic gunhandling... Plus you can shoot all day long for what 10 minutes of most other ammo costs...

I'm definitely not a Beretta guy, but I say "Shoot what you like"...

My only handgun for10 years now has been a Smith Sigma in .40 S&W and I boght it because I could afford it. My Dad has a solid collection so I can pretend I have more firearms than I really own...I own a couple rifles and aRemington 870, but I plan to buy either a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 (not sure yetwhether it will befull or compact size...) or a Kahrin .40... I've shot them both at Bob's where I currently have a membership so I know I like the way they feel and shoot... Go to a place that rents or loans guns with your membership and try out ones that you are interested in... I tried a couple Glocks just to say I tried them and actually found that even though I shot them well, I actually did not like them...

If I had the money right now, I would buy the M&P in full size, the Kahr (either a CW 40 or a KP 40) and then a Ruger .22, because I feel that any decent collection shoudl have a good .22 for plinking and they are great for small game if you are so inclined...

eyesopened

imported post

Don't make fun of the .22, it will kill a person. Here is a story of a dumbass, that misuseda .22 and in the end killed his wife: http://www.khqa.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=112401

I don't care if you're shooting a 50AE if you can't hit the broadside of a barn... Shooting is about target placement, not the size of the bullet or how many rounds you can shoot before reloading.

If you haven't done so already, I would take a training class. It's easier to learn the fine points at the beginning, versus having to correct bad habits down the road.