• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shop paints 'Hello Kitty' theme on real weapons

Pointman

imported post

This one was too odd to pass up. The link contains the CNN interview.
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Gun_shop_paints_Hello_Kitty_themes_0219.html

A gun supply shop in Wisconsin is painting and decorating guns to look like children's toys, and many police officers are concerned. "If somebody points it at an officer, he could hesitate," Bryan Soller of the Arizona Fraternal Order of Police told CNN, "in which case he could get shot or, even worse, the officer could react and take the life of a child."

Sgt. Manny Mendoza of the San Bernadino County Sheriff's Department in Barstow, CA warned that "now we’re at the point where anything that looks like a gun, no matter what color, is considered a firearm, and we will act accordingly to defend ourselves and the public."

Jim's Gun Supply of Baraboo, Wisconsin, which boasts on its website that "we adhere to the highest legal and ethical principles in the conduct of all aspects of our business," primarily offers the customized guns in camouflage patterns. However, it also provides a selection of items in shocking pink, including one with a Hello Kitty logo on the stock, as well as other garish and historical replica designs.

The DuraCoat product used on the guns was originally designed to prevent corrosion. There have been concerns in the past that it could be used by criminals to make real guns look like fakes, but these candy-colored designs that might prove irresistible to children create new worries.

The owner of Jim's Gun Supply, Jim Astle, defended his business in a statement to CNN. "Over 75% of them are law enforcement," he argued. "They're buying them for their wives so they'll go to the range and shoot with them. ... Paint doesn't make it any more deadly than black."

Edit: I noticed there's no sling on either of the guns. Match shooters understand why there should be.

Attachments

• Hello_Kitty.jpg
    Hello_Kitty.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 434

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

WOW,

Can I get one with HE-man on it. he was my favorite. and then ooohh ooohhh maybe I could get a small pistol, all blue, with papa smurf on it (get it, it's my small BUG, "Smurf." Haha) That would be AWESOME. And then we could make it mandatory that all the bad guys carry guns with skeletor on them so we know who they are....

*Sarcasm off*

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Someone made the point to me that painting the tip is really the only Illegal thing about it. A painted tip would more insinuate a fake gun rather than the over-all color.

expvideo

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
Someone made the point to me that painting the tip is really the only Illegal thing about it. A painted tip would more insinuate a fake gun rather than the over-all color.
There's nothing illegal about that that I know of. :D

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Maybe a state thing? I dunno. Either way, I can see the grip about that specifically, but the rest of it? meh.

Prophet

imported post

Maybe kids shouldnt point guns (real or otherwise) at cops to begin with...then there wouldnt be a need to get shot. Just sayin.

On a side note, i could see getting my girlfriend a pretty pink pistol...i mean...if she likes it and will get her to shoot why not.

As for me...hmmm...maybe my old College colors

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All this Guff about mistaken real guns for fake, fake for real: what about Airsoft? Those look EXTREMELY really (well, some of them) so whats to stop an LEO from pumping some kid full of lead cause he's playing with his buddies?

imperialism2024

imported post

DopaVash wrote:
All this Guff about mistaken real guns for fake, fake for real: what about Airsoft? Those look EXTREMELY really (well, some of them) so whats to stop an LEO from pumping some kid full of lead cause he's playing with his buddies?
Because those aren't real guns, and therefore cause no danger whatsoever. See, only real guns can be confused, because they're evil. Fake guns can't, because they're fake and therefore not evil. Make sense yet? It's just like how a pistol grip or a high-capacity mag makes the bullets more powerful in a gun, and then every night whispers into the ears of mentally disturbed children that they need to shoot up schools, eventually dragging the kids along to the school for the purposes of having a hip from which to "spray". How about now? :uhoh:

Pointman

hsmith

imported post

While I don't think they should be banned, I don't believe it is good to allow children to play with "fake" guns.

I believe it diminishes the teaching of the respect one should have for real firearms, especially at a young age.

Huck

imported post

hsmith wrote:
While I don't think they should be banned, I don't believe it is good to allow children to play with "fake" guns.

I believe it diminishes the teaching of the respect one should have for real firearms, especially at a young age.

My brother, friends, and myself played with fake guns when we were young and we all grew up respecting realfirearms. We respected real firearms because our parents taught us about them, including the difference in how one handles a toy gun and a real one.

By age 7 or 8 we all had real ones anyway. (My first was a Winchester model 67a, bolt action .22)

LEO 229

imported post

The companies that manufacture guns that look like toys are not doing the people any favors.

This is simply more justification for the police to draw down on people with obvious toy guns (well, since you cannot tell any more they are not so obvious) and this gets people upset.

PT111

imported post

I see nothing wrong or illegal with decorating any gun whatever color or pattern you want to. Really look at some of these tacti-cool guns that some of you fellows run around with and compare them to the Hello Kitty model and I really can't choose which one looks sillier. As for macho colors it is all in what some one wants to think is macho, usually it make them look more like some teen age geek trying to impress his other buddied whild playing dungeons and dragons.

I think this thread shows that guns are not toys are should not be treated like toys but we also run into are toys guns toys or guns and how should we treat them. Shouldchildren play Cowboys ad Indians pretending to shoot and kill each other? Does that teach safety or agressiveness? I don't have the answers but I think the red tip on toy guns is a mistake and it would be easy to get fooled by someone waving a toy gun around whether it looked real or not.

LEO 229

imported post

What kid hasn't played cops and robbers. Or cowboys and Indians.

I used to play Army at age 16 and 17 with my friends in the back 40 and we had fun.

We never had a problem or encounters with adults since we lived in the country. There were very few adults even there to watch over us so nobody complained but then our guns were not so realistic. :D

I did have a kid point a gun at me one day in my neighborhood and he was all alone. He was not out playing with his friends and I though the gun could be real. His mom came out and I approached after he lowered it.

I gave him a serious "What For!" and how it was wrong to point guns at strangers. Scared the crap out of him and his mom chimed in to back me up. I was pleased she did that and it made an impression on him.

Pointman

imported post

I think we're missing something. Criminals don't use Hello Kitty guns. Criminals don't even open-carry, generally. The last thing they want is a pink AR-15.

LEO 229

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I think we're missing something. Criminals don't use Hello Kitty guns. Criminals don't even open-carry, generally. The last thing they want is a pink AR-15.
What better way to be armed than to make others think it is just a toy and fashionable!! ;)

Point to be made is cops now have to worry about guns that look like toys too.

Pointman

imported post

Leo: Maybe you should get your emoticon put on the outside of your duty pistol grip toward the bottom, and the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant on the other.

NOTE to others: I'm funnin' with LEO, not making fun of him.

Attachments

• LEO229.jpg
    LEO229.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 189

LEO 229

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Leo: Maybe you should get your emoticon put on the outside of your duty pistol grip toward the bottom, and the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant on the other.

NOTE to others: I'm funnin' with LEO, not making fun of him.
I want tomake mygun yellow like the Simpsons? :lol:

Then people will not take me so seriously!!