• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Crime Victims Rights Week 2008

possumboy

imported post

Taken from a PDF on Victims rights: http://ovc.ncjrs.gov/ncvrw2008/pdf/resource_guide.pdf (page 40).

How many are not victims because of carry - either OC or CC? Somewhere around 2.5 million reported.

I included the entire selection. OC would probably not prevent Identity Theft, Neglect, and Drunk Driving.

Crime Clock
Homicide -One person is murdered every 31 minutes.
Rape - One person is raped every 2.7 minutes.
Assault -One person is assaulted every 7.2 seconds.
Theft - One home is victimized by theft every 2.3 seconds.
Burglary - One home is burglarized every 9.1 seconds.
Domestic - Violence One woman is victimized by an intimate partner every 1.3 minutes.
One man is victimized every 6.7 minutes.
Child Abuse and Neglect - One child is reported abused or neglected every 35 seconds.
Drunk Driving - One person is killed in an alcohol related traffic crash every 29 minutes.
Identity Theft - One person becomes a victim of identity theft every 8.7 seconds.
Elder Abuse - One elderly person is victimized every 2.7 minutes.
Hate Crime - One hate crime is reported to the police every 73 minutes.

XD40coyote

imported post

YeahI saw something about this and wondered if any of these advocates even think about carrying to protect themselves. Same as me wondering the AARP's stance on older people arming themselves, esp if they are crippled in some way. My parents are members, soI can look at the stuff they get sent, though I don't look often. But I haven't seen anything about "vulnerable elderly vs young thugs intent on robbing them,etc" that has anything about armed elderly people.

I have never been a victim of a violent crime even after living in a crappy area of Baltimore( can thank the "open carry dog" and my wits for that), but I surely wouldn't want to end up a victim to be starting to think about carry after the fact. The concept of carry has been in my mind since I was a teenager, and my family is not even the gun owning types. Suppose my watching "Death Wish" movies made me think about it?