• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SPORTSMANS UNWELCOME HOUSE

braveheart

imported post

HELP!!!! I can't purchase a 22 rifle in Idaho because I have Wa id, but now live in Idaho. One store told me to buy rifles that it wasn't a problem. sportsmans told me not only would they not sell me the rifle because my id was out of state but they wouldn't even sell my brother the same rifle who has an ID id. Is it easier to buy from the stores honestly or from someone off the street?? :cuss:

imported post

Go get an Idaho ID, takes only 15 mins or less, they issue them on the spot.

and since you brother was with you, and they knew he was gonna buy it on your behalf, this is considered a Straw purchase which is illegal, and they can lose there FFL, so wait a couple days and send your brother back to buy the gun, and he should have no problems. or go get your Idaho ID, simple as that.

Tyoung

imported post

They can sell a rifle to a non-resident as long as it is a bordering state. Sportsman Horehouse seems to only hire the uneducated. Take your business elsewere.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! Only buy legally and honestly whether from a store, dealer or a private sale.I'd recommend justgetting the proper ID asit will avoid a whole lot of hassles all around.

Gunslinger

imported post

BobCav wrote:
Welcome to OCDO! Only buy legally and honestly whether from a store, dealer or a private sale.I'd recommend justgetting the proper ID asit will avoid a whole lot of hassles all around.
Seems to me like the easiest thing to do, as he's living in ID anyway.

braveheart

imported post

braveheart wrote:
HELP!!!! I can't purchase a 22 rifle in Idaho because I have Wa id, but now live in Idaho. One store told me to buy rifles that it wasn't a problem. sportsmans told me not only would they not sell me the rifle because my id was out of state but they wouldn't even sell my brother the same rifle who has an ID id. Is it easier to buy from the stores honestly or from someone off the street?? :cuss:
thanks for the advise apparently I will need to purhase a ID in both states although it really doesnt make sense your id doesnt always mean thats where you live I think its more about $$$$$ after all we all really know your ssn # should be sufficient

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

braveheart wrote:
braveheart wrote:
thanks for the advise apparently I will need to purhase a ID in both states although it really doesnt make sense your id doesnt always mean thats where you live I think its more about $$$$$ after all we all really know your ssn # should be sufficient

Whoaaaa - SSN cannot be required to buy guns from dealers. See Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act; Stollenwerk v. Miller (E.D.P.A 2006).

Dr. Fresh

imported post

I purchased a rifle from Moscow pawn and another from the Moscow Big 5 with absolutely no issues, and I live in WA.

Tomahawk

imported post

Mike wrote:
Whoaaaa - SSN cannot be required to buy guns from dealers. See Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act; Stollenwerk v. Miller (E.D.P.A 2006).
Must be nice to reference a case which has your own name on it, huh? :dude:

PT111

imported post

If you live in Idaho shouldn't you have an Idaho ID? It's situations like this and people having multiple ID's and drivers license that gives the supporters of the Real ID plenty of ammunition. Every time I hear of someone complaining about they couldn't do something because they didn't have a correct ID or those who talk about not having to have any ID or refusing to show it I think of how it is moving us one step closer to "Big Brother"m implanted chips, tattoos and papers please.

If appears that our pesent system isn't doing a very good job of what it is supposed to so we all know what the next step is.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

"HELP!!!! I can't purchase a 22 rifle in Idaho because I have Wa id, but now live in Idaho. "

"I will need to purhase a ID in both states although it really doesnt make sense your id doesnt always mean thats where you live I think its more about $$$$$ after all we all really know your ssn # should be sufficient"

You're required to update your address within a certain timeframe anyway, and Washingotn will not issue you new ID for an Idaho address. So you're going to see other issues soon enough anyway. The first time you get stopped for a traffic incident, they're going to ask if your address is current and how long you've been in Idaho. and why haven't you changed it.Most states require that you surrender your state ID when you move away, and most states won't issue you a driver's license unless you surrender the one from your old state.

SSN is not identification. It's a number used to track your contributions to a welfare fund. It is greatly over-used, for things which is has absolutely no relevence to, and every effort should be made to head off further abuse of this number as a defeacto national identification. It's not effective, efficient, or secure.

The burdensome regulations imposed upon FFL licensees are a part of what cause your cost, and they are arguably nothing more than security theater, just as the TSA is.

As for: "Is it easier to buy from the stores honestly or from someone off the street??"

If you're trying to get people here to say they would buy guns dishonestly, you're in the wrong place. Private transactions are just as legitimate as buying from a store. Straw purchases are a federal crime. People here are honest and legal, there would be no point in this website and this movement if they were not.

devldogs55

imported post

Which Sportsman's Warehouse did you try to purchase from? I work at the gun counter in Spokane, WA but live in N. Idaho.

Maybe it was me who talked to you??? Looks like you were in our Coeur d' Alene store though.

Why would you want a Washington ID over an Idaho one anyways???

FYI. Federal law states that you must have the paperwork for a HANDGUN done in the state that you are a resident of. If you have a WA state ID - you are a WA state resident for the purchase. Therefore you would have to purchase the handgun in WA or pay for it in Idaho and have the firearm transfered to a dealer in WA. We do this fairly often between our Spokane and CDA stores.

Also, you are required to have current address on your drivers licence for the purchase. If you don't, some government issued proof is required instead. I.E. your vehicle registration, CPL/CWP, Hunting/Fishing license...

apjonas

imported post

HELP!!!! I can't purchase a 22 rifle in Idaho because I have Wa id, but now live in Idaho. One store told me to buy rifles that it wasn't a problem. sportsmans told me not only would they not sell me the rifle because my id was out of state but they wouldn't even sell my brother the same rifle who has an ID id. Is it easier to buy from the stores honestly or from someone off the street??

There is no ID state law that prohibits the store from selling a long gun to any OOS resident who is otherwise qualified. Neither are they compelled to sell to even a qualified buyer (unless the reason is prohibited by law – race, sex, religion….)

Go get an Idaho ID, takes only 15 mins or less, they issue them on the spot.

Absolutely. If you are an ID resident then you ought to have at least one ID ID (I like that!)

and since you brother was with you, and they knew he was gonna buy it on your behalf, this is considered a Straw purchase which is illegal, and they can lose there FFL, so wait a couple days and send your brother back to buy the gun, and he should have no problems. or go get your Idaho ID, simple as that.

If this is true, you dodged a legal bullet. However, sending brother back later does not make it any less a straw purchase. It isn’t that difficult to do what you desire quickly and legally. Are there other facts/factors than you have not disclosed?

They can sell a rifle to a non-resident as long as it is a bordering state. Sportsman Horehouse seems to only hire the uneducated. Take your business elsewere.

Antiquated info Bob – the contiguous state rule went away a loooong time ago. The state statutes that reference it are permissive not prohibitive. I think most such statutes were repealed after the change in federal law.

Well stated.

Mike

Super Moderator

You are correct however, your case does not control outside of the Eastern District. It could be that others may have to refight the battle especially in states that demand SSN for LTC (whether OC or CC) calling it a “recreational license” subject to 42 USC 666. And there is nothing you can do (other than moving your business elsewhere) if the merchant insists upon it.

I purchased a rifle from Moscow pawn and another from the Moscow Big 5 with absolutely no issues, and I live in WA.

Q.E.D.

FYI. Federal law states that you must have the paperwork for a HANDGUN done in the state that you are a resident of. If you have a WA state ID - you are a WA state resident for the purchase. Therefore you would have to purchase the handgun in WA or pay for it in Idaho and have the firearm transfered to a dealer in WA. We do this
fairly often between our Spokane and CDA stores.

Actually it is not illegal to purchase a handgun in another state. It is illegal to sell one, however so the point is really moot. If you did purchase a handgun in another state, the only restriction would be that you could not bring it into your state of legal residence, any of the other 48 is fine (subject to local laws, etc.)

devldogs55

imported post

563 wrote:
so wait a couple days and send your brother back to buy the gun, and he should have no problems. or go get your Idaho ID, simple as that.

FYI, you just advised this person and his brother to commit a Federal Felony.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

apjonas wrote:
Mike

Super Moderator

You are correct however, your case does not control outside of the Eastern District. It could be that others may have to refight the battle especially in states that demand SSN for LTC (whether OC or CC) calling it a “recreational license” subject to 42 USC 666. And there is nothing you can do (other than moving your business elsewhere) if the merchant insists upon it.
Actually, you could sue the gun dealer because the gun dealer is an agent of the government when it runs gun transfer checks, and so it must aslo comply with Section 7 of the Federal Privacy Act,Yeager v. Hackensack Water Co.[/i][/b], 615 F. Supp. 1087, 1090 (D.N.J. 1985) (holding that a privately owned water company executing government mandated water rationing must comply with Section 7 when eliciting citizens disclosure of SSNs), and, the dealermust specifically provide a meaningful[/i] Section 7(b) warning. Greater Cleveland Welfare Rights Org. v. Bauer, 462 F. Supp. 1313 (N.D. Ohio 1978)(establishing the “meaningful” standard for Section 7(b) warnings).

apjonas

imported post

I am not familiar with your references but will take a look. Thanks for the information.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I went into Sportsmans here in Salt Lake this last Saturday, after the GOP Convention (Political activism and OCing ),with my shoulder holster (S&W 4006) AND my Serpa (Kimber)on the hip. I walked right by and associate that I actually believe to be the manager and we said our Hi's in passing.

I was there for about 10 min......NOTHING

Sure, it has NOTHING to do with a purchase of a firearm but I was NOT thrown out for OCing or EVEN confronted

TJ