• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle conveyance

GatorGSXR

imported post

So waiting on my permit and i ride a motorcycle. I feel comfortable carrying my glock in my car. I've talked to a cop and was told that my fitted ( non snapping) holster was even considered not being directly accessible for car carry and i didn't have to put the gun in the glove box. How do you feel about that? Second on my motorcycle without a permit where can I carry my gun? Saddle bags? Backpack, if i have to take it off to get to the gun and its in a hoslter. The cop said that the backpack was ok and would even be good if i had to stop to buy ammo as long as it didnt show the gun when i stopped at the store. Whats the verdict?? Thanks

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

GatorGSXR wrote:
So waiting on my permit and i ride a motorcycle. I feel comfortable carrying my glock in my car. I've talked to a cop and was told that my fitted ( non snapping) holster was even considered not being directly accessible for car carry and i didn't have to put the gun in the glove box. How do you feel about that? Second on my motorcycle without a permit where can I carry my gun? Saddle bags? Backpack, if i have to take it off to get to the gun and its in a hoslter. The cop said that the backpack was ok and would even be good if i had to stop to buy ammo as long as it didnt show the gun when i stopped at the store. Whats the verdict?? Thanks
What state do you reside? Different laws for different states you know.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Just wanted to be sure - not all postings to a particular state section actually refer to that state - particularly from new posters. BTW - welcome aboard.

"I feel comfortable carrying my glock in my car. I've talked to a cop and was told that my fitted ( non snapping) holster was even considered not being directly accessible for car carry and i didn't have to put the gun in the glove box. How do you feel about that?" I am hoping that you are not actually carrying without a permit but referring to safe and inaccessable storage. A holster of any kind does not qualify.

"Second on my motorcycle without a permit where can I carry my gun? Saddle bags?"
Perhaps - if not loaded, in locked case and in locked saddle bag (hard bag?) and ammo stored in other side.

"Backpack, if i have to take it off to get to the gun and its in a hoslter."
No! A backpack is no different that a coat - you are wearing it - it would be concealed on your person.

"The cop said that the backpack was ok and would even be good if i had to stop to buy ammo as long as it didnt show the gun when i stopped at the store. Whats the verdict?? Thanks" LEO's (law enforcement officers) do give bad advice sometimes and this is very bad advice. What do you think would happen if you went riding on your bike and had an accident, injured yourself and the paramedics or LEO found your weapon in your backpack?

My advice:

Do not put yourself at risk of violating laws - learn the laws of your state and other states in which you may travel. Get your permit and do not have a weapon with you unless it is stored properly according to those laws - some states like Va allow open carry. Wait for your permit and work for positive changes in the laws.

Never take anyone else's advice, no matter how well intended, where you are the one at risk of losing your rights, money or freedom.

Research the laws on Florida by clicking on the state in question at OCDO home page http://www.opencarry.org/

Yata hey

Hotshot718

imported post

First off, get yourself a copy of Jon Gutmacher's Florida Firearms: Law, Use and Ownership. He's a lawyer who does a lot of gun cases. see his website at http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com. Second, visit here to look at the statutes themselves:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0790/titl0790.htm&StatuteYear=2007&Title=%2D%3E2007%2D%3EChapter%20790
As far as your questions, this is what I advise.

So waiting on my permit and i ride a motorcycle. I feel comfortable carrying my glock in my car. I've talked to a cop and was told that my fitted ( non snapping) holster was even considered not being directly accessible for car carry and i didn't have to put the gun in the glove box. How do you feel about that?

That's fine. As long as the pistol is "securely encased", which I take to mean, "If I can't make it go *Bang* in whatever I'm carrying it in". Most LEO's do prefer to find it in a snapped holster, though. At least, the ones I encounter do. And I have a kydex fitted holster as opposed to a snapping one too. Before I had my permit, I just stashed it in a gun rug under my seat. Never a problem.

Second on my motorcycle without a permit where can I carry my gun? Saddle bags?

Gun loaded or not, saddlebags are fine, locked or not. Though for security's sake, get a lockable one. Hate to find your saddlebag has been opened and the gun is missing.

Backpack, if i have to take it off to get to the gun and its in a hoslter. The cop said that the backpack was ok and would even be good if i had to stop to buy ammo as long as it didnt show the gun when i stopped at the store.

Ask your buddy why he's trying to get you arrested. A backpack is still carrying it on your person, same as if you had a fannypack or purse. Only private vehicle is covered by law if you do not have a CCW.

Hope it helps!