• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

yonder's first OC

yonder

imported post

I have been OC'ing around my house/yard for awhile but didn't want to OC beyond that because in order to ride my motorcycle my jacket would conceal my pistol and I didn't have my NC CHP until today.

Yesterday I needed to run to the Big K real quick to grab something and I didn't think to disarm. Oops. I wasn't concealed when I got there, because the cutest little girl you ever did see smiled at me and said "mommy, why does that man with the funny hair have a gun?"

(regarding "funny hair" - I have a mohawk)

Oops. Completely unplanned, but since I'm already here I might as well go with it.

I made it back to electronics, talked to an associated, they didn't have what I wanted, so I left empty handed. Nobody harassed me.

This was the K Mart on Six Forks Road in north Raleigh.

As I alluded to earlier, I picked up my CHP today. :celebrate So now I don't have to feel weird putting on my riding jacket.

grimstar

imported post

Great to see yet another OC'er in NC...and in Raleigh, no less.

Great story, and yeah, it's always the kids that notice. The parents are usually oblivious. (Well, not all of us...heh)

I haven't carried while riding, yet, as I usually use a paddle holster, and that just doesn't seem secure enough on the bike. I'm looking into getting some custom leather done for my new Bersa mini-9, and if I can get it made the way I want, then I will definitely use it while riding.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what do you ride, if I may ask?

(I'm sure you're going to say a Harley, or some 1800cc behemoth that will make me feel totally inadequate with my little Honda cmx450---the 450 cc version of the Rebel, made in the 80's. :p )

Grimstar

Godscreation

imported post

Congrats on OC! I have been OCing now for a week.
Karate place for sister (2)
Bi-lo(2)
Harris Teeter
Dunkin Donuts
Autozone
Lowe's Home Improvement
Ihop
Shell Gas ($3.43):cuss:

It's weird the only people that have said anything are my friends. Nobody says anything. Probably because they don't notice. If I had to guess I would say:
85% don't notice
10% do notice but don't say anything
5% notice and bring it up.

anyone find this agreeable?

acritical

imported post

I would be surprised if anyone said anything to you in that K-mart, for I frequent that one often while open carrying. Cute cashier that works evenings. :)

Anyway, they never seem bothered by my carrying. Great to hear of another open carry'er in Raleigh. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one. I run into a log of concealed carry people, that feel they must announce themselves, in a positive way, to me when they see me carrying.

I do not mind, but kind of defeats the purpose of concealed carry, when you tell everyone around you that you are carrying.

yonder

imported post

I might be breaking the mold of the typical OC gentleman since my look is rather less than "clean cut". Nobody is going to mistake me for a cop. I've got an eccentric fashion sense.

kiltsheep-clean.jpg

grimstar

imported post

YES! +1 ...+2...+ I don't know how many! lol

The bonny is a sweet bike, no doubt...wish I could afford a Triumph America, I love those.

As far as an eccentric fashion sense, I wish I could see more fashion like that, rather than what I normally see. You know what I mean...baggy pants with boxers, caps on sideways, etc. etc. etc.

And, though I don't have a pic to post at the moment, know that you are not the only one here who wears a kilt! (Now I have to think of really cool gunbelt ideas to go with a kilt...lol)

Grimstar

postscript...just watched the video...beautiful bike. And yes, especially on that vid, it does sound amazingly like the industrial sewing machine I use! But, I dare say it's louder...lol. Maybe that's why I like parallel twins so much...I'm accustomed to the sound!

yonder

imported post

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a southpaw; the reason I'm holding up a cell phone is because that is the camera. The picture is reversed because it was taken in a mirror. This would have been more obvious if I hadn't blacked out the shirt to hide the less-than-tasteful text. I don't want to offend the moderators so this link may be removed if necessary, but if you want to see the original picture, click here (NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED)

yonder

imported post

I don't know much about holsters

I went into the shop, asked for something for a Makarov, and they handed me an Uncle Mike's. I wear it regularly. It's simple, it works well enough for me. I've done a little action pistol-ish training with it. So far so good.

grimstar

imported post

+1 more....a Makarov! I carry a Mak for cc quite often, either in a Fobus paddle holster or a Falco shoulder rig. An excellent piece for the money, almost indestructible. I decided I wanted something with a bit more power, which is why I got the Firestorm mini-9. I just wish holsters for it were as easy to find as they are for the Mak.

Yonder, it sure seems like you and I would have a good time hanging out together. Remind me to buy you a beer if we ever meet up....though not at an OC get together, obviously...I'll substitute coffee or soda, then. :lol:

Grimstar

grimstar

imported post

yonder wrote:
we ought to find a gun-friendly coffee shop :D
With motorcycle parking!

:monkey

And thanks, .40 cal, I've seen the Houston holsters, and will probably get one...but i'm looking for something with a thumb break, and a little more secure attachment than a paddle, for use while riding, and oc'ing.

Grimstar

burninsteeda04

imported post

blackhawk Serpa my friend, very secure and natural draw. comes with the option of both paddle and belt in the package.

Weak 9mm

imported post

I'm a fan of the Serpa myself.

Let me know when you guys go to the coffee shop (And let me know which one it is, lol)! I'm pretty much always around in the Raleigh area and I wouldn't mind getting together with other folks who OC. I actually don't personally know anyone else who does it, and I hate never being able to talk about firearms and OC. Usually I just don't even bring up OCing or firearms around anyone I know, simply because people's reactions vary so much and most "non-gun people" I know seem to become uncomfortable when it comes up and they'll want to change the subject.

I also wouldn't mind going to a range or something with some of you local guys. I have a friend with like 200 acres out in Hillsborough and sometimes I go out there to shoot, which can be quite a bit of fun, but other than him I don't really even know anybody to go to the range with!