• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot in Hampton Roads?

tapper95

imported post

I have been shooting at Bob's for a few years because of its location, but my membership is up this month and I would really like to find a place that allows me to shoot rifles and maybe even a little shotgun... A&P is not bad, but I grew up shooting at Izaak Walton outside of Leesburg VA and I miss the outdoor 100 yard ranges and all the comraderie of a place like that...

I have been looking at Norfolk County Rifle Range, which is 5 minutes from my house, but doesn't currently have rifle ranges (only pistol)... go figure...

I have also found a place called Lafayette up in Newport News/Grafton area that looks great, but it is over 30 minutes from mi casa so I would be afraid that I wouldn't use it enough... AlthoughLafayette does have a 24 hour indoor 50 yard range if you have (or are) a range officer... With my crazy hours, it might be nice to go shooting at 3 in the morning...

Anyone belong to either one or have any input?

VAruger

imported post

I'm looking to get in at Lafayette myself, looks like a great place to shoot. Other than that, I have been shooting at the marksman on industrial dr.

The last two time I went, there was gun residue in my nose and throat after shooting, I haven't been back. I'm also told their is an indoor range at Superior Gun & Pawn in Hampton, VA. $10 an hour, $100 for yearly membership that gets you to the front of the line quicker with no hourly charge, and free use of the range's rental weapons.

Edit: I believe they have a range at their other locations in VA Beach and maybe norfolk. Also I belive A & P arms in VA beach has an indoor range.

tapper95

imported post

Bob's is $100 (was last year anyway...) and you have to pay for gun rentals and there are only 6 lanes... although I have only waited once in about 20 visits over the lasst year... But I do go at odd times like 2 PM on weekdays...

I thought I saw the membership fees on either Lafayette or NCRR before but they are not posted on their websites right now...

I've been to A&P across from Lynnhaven and it's decent, but I would like something with some outdoors facilities... and Lafayette is not much further than travelling to Lynnhaven for me... A&P did let us turn out the lights on a range to test out my friend's M-4 mounted Sure Fire light...

JimmyN

imported post

C2 is the only rifle range I am aware of in the Hampton Roads area. It is off Princess Anne road, down close to the NC line.

They have 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard ranges. It is fairly new and a very nice facility.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm a member of the LaFayette Gun Club. It costs about $200 for the initial membership, which includes a refundable deposit on an electronic key card. I believe the yearly dues are $150 or $175 thereafter.

The indoor range is open 24/7, but it is 50 FEET not yards, and good only for pistols of standard caliber (no .500 magnums, etc) and .22 rimfire rifles.

The outdoor ranges comprise 25, 50 and 100 yd ranges and a shotgun range. There must be a range officer present in order to use these outdoor ranges. Occasionally one doesn't show for his shift, so it is best to call first.

You have to be an NRA member to apply, and you must also be sponsored by a member who knows you. Call that a good ol' boy system if you want, but this way we don't need to worry about any moles like Sarah Brady or "Dick" Saslaw showing up.:p

OBXMIKE

imported post

JimmyN wrote:
C2 is the only rifle range I am aware of in the Hampton Roads area. It is off Princess Anne road, down close to the NC line.

They have 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard ranges. It is fairly new and a very nice facility.

Love what they've done to the place.....LOTS of improvements since they changed ownership.

Only thing is, it's now as expensive as a round of GOLF! :cuss:

At least the higher rates seem to be keeping the riff-raff and gang-bangers away.......which is a suitable trade-off, if you ask me!

NytoVa

imported post

OBXMIKE wrote:
Love what they've done to the place.....LOTS of improvements since they changed ownership.
Only thing is, it's now as expensive as a round of GOLF! :cuss:

At least the higher rates seem to be keeping the riff-raff and gang-bangers away.......which is a suitable trade-off, if you ask me!

I alwayspurchased both theindoor & outdoor range passes (about $180/yr) from A&P before theysold the Marvinrange to C2.Since A&P allows family members to shoot at no extra charge I always took one of my teens w/ me. A good policy to promote family shooting & win customers.

After C2 bought the rangethey honored my A&P pass but charged $60/yr for children to shoot on my pass. Since they were making huge improvements in the range I had no problem paying an extra $120 for my 2 sons.

However, after looking at the latest price sheet I think they have priced themselves out of the family market. $600 for a yearly pass (25 to 300 yd) and no provision for children. At that price I'll just stick to A&P. About $100 for indoor pistol/rifle and I bring my teens for free. $500 savings buys a lot of ammo.

If you can afford it C2 is a great range. They have made dramatic improvements since buying the place and I found the new staff very friendly.

tapper95

imported post

Thanks for all the info so far... Does anyone know the price of NCRR? I thought I saw it on their site a while ago, but now it is not there...

...and Dutch Uncle, didn't we dine on wings one night last year after a particularly well attended Norfolk City Council meeting? I was the one at the end of the table who got the "Are you a cop?" question from the E-2...

Bubba Ron

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
Thanks for all the info so far... Does anyone know the price of NCRR? I thought I saw it on their site a while ago, but now it is not there...
I have a 3 year NCRR membership, and I don't know if anything has changed lately. I do know you have to be an NRA member and a VSSA member besides the NCRR membership. I'm not particularly fond of that, I requested they change the requirement of VSSA to be either a VSSA or VCDL member - but that was a no-go because the VSSA is the state branch of the NRA. I have never received anything from VSSA - in my feeble opinion, it's just another source of money for the NRA :X

I think there is contact information for the NCRR officers on the NCRR website, try giving them a shout.

Eeyore

imported post

Another option for peninsula-dwellers is the Marksman in Newport News (http://www.the-marksman.com/). Close to Ft Eustis, so good discounts for military and LEOs. 8 lanes, or maybe 10. Glock fans should rent and try their Steyr M9-A1. Smaller rental selection than Superior's VB location.

Military types and LEOs can use the range on MCCS Camp Allen. Obviously a very professional operation, clean and well lit. 20-minute safety course required for range privilege card. Interesting stable of rental guns. Rifles permitted (within a certain muzzle velocity) http://www.mccscampallen.com/shooting_range.htm

bayboy42

imported post

The Marksman stinks!!! My wife bought me a 1-year membership there and I tried deligently to get our $ back after about 3 months of horrible conditions. She knew it was close and reasonably priced...I wouldn't have expected her to know all the other qualities of a good range but just want other OCDO folks to be aware. Also I've seen Bob's mentioned on this list....keep in mind that some of the employees there are not very open carry and/or VCDL friendly (search OCDO for more info). I'm not a member but the best place I've visited has been Lafayette by a long shot!!

thnycav

imported post

I just go out in my backyard and setup my targets. I also fire off my horses back. I bet there is not too many ranges you can do that.

vtme_grad98

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
The Marksman stinks!!! My wife bought me a 1-year membership there and I tried deligently to get our $ back after about 3 months of horrible conditions. She knew it was close and reasonably priced...I wouldn't have expected her to know all the other qualities of a good range but just want other OCDO folks to be aware. Also I've seen Bob's mentioned on this list....keep in mind that some of the employees there are not very open carry and/or VCDL friendly (search OCDO for more info). I'm not a member but the best place I've visited has been Lafayette by a long shot!!

Bob's is also the shortest indoor range that I know of in this area. I believe Bob's is either a 10 or 11 yard range. Superior in Virginia Beach is 15 yards, with an amazing selection of rental guns. A & P is 25 yards. The only real issue I have ever had with A & P is that they always seem to have at least half of the range tied up for some class or another. Superior has a wait at times as well, but they at least have chairs and a sofa to sit at while you wait.

Personally, I won't spend one cent at Bob's after I listened to the owner say "They need to outlaw that open carry crap" right in front of me one day.

tapper95

imported post

For me, Bob's was a choice of convenience and familiarity since I live a little over 5 minutes away unless the downtown tunnel backs up, and I had shot there before...

One of my biggest concerns is that I will pay for a membership and then not use it because it is not convenient... I'd love to have enough property to set up a range and use it as I please...

...but that's a whole seperate thread... Why can't I draw from my holster? Really, some dumbarse shot himself in the foot? How rapid is rapid fire anyway? Heck, ammo's getting too expensive to empty amag just for testosterone's sake... But can I practice a shoot down drill? And what about the old apple on the head trick? How can anyone become the next Wild Bill if you can't even practice... ;-)

Table

imported post

Airfield Shooting Club in Wakefield. Outdoor 50M/100M. 1 Skeet field, soon to be one Trap.

NCRR doesn't have Skeet, just trap.

For shotgun, Oceana Skeet and Trap Range recently reopened. Skeet, Trap, 5-Stand and Wobble.

If you have kids, join the Airfield 4H Swamp Shooters. Youth instruction in rifle, pistol, shotgun and even archery.

tapper95

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
tapper95 wrote:
I have been looking at Norfolk County Rifle Range, which is 5 minutes from my house, but doesn't currently have rifle ranges (only pistol)... go figure...
NCRR does have shotgun in: skeet, trap, and tactical. Check out http://www.ncrr.net

Does tactical shotgun mean what I think it means? I can actually shoot it the way I would use it in a self defense situation? That's something I have never seen at a range outside of a top level training facility like Blackwater or Gun Site.Some ranges will let you check patterning on a short range, but in my experience they are pretty strict about it since it has the potential to destroy anything used as target holders...

Bubba Ron

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
Does tactical shotgun mean what I think it means? I can actually shoot it the way I would use it in a self defense situation? That's something I have never seen at a range outside of a top level training facility like Blackwater or Gun Site.Some ranges will let you check patterning on a short range, but in my experience they are pretty strict about it since it has the potential to destroy anything used as target holders...
Yep, moving and shooting from behind cover, or through barrels, or prone, and very different targets. Some targets, went hit, will also throw up a clay. We did a walkthrough and we're told that you'd need 86 rounds - if you didn't miss.... I've never shot it, we stopped in to use the range and they were setting up the tatical shoot in the back.