• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Forest Carry

Flintlock

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Yes, maybe useless was astronger wordthan I meant asI wasn't trying to be confrontational. Ihave had a run-ins with some 4-legged critters and have had the gun in the pack, seconds away from access...I like your holster set-up but I thought the whole discussion was that it was supposed to be concealed per law.. Isn't that essentially openly carried?

It's hard to see but there is a panel that opens on the side. The holster can be rollrf into the inside of the pack. Just a tug brings it out in position to draw. Atlantic Leather charged me 12.00 to add the side slot.
Ohhhh, I see.. That's a pretty neat set-up, I like it. :cool:

Flintlock

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
If I can dig up the CD I stored them on I'll post one. Really great phot conditions, with the sunlight and the snake in the open and all.
Absolutely, if you can find it, please post one! That sounds like a really cool experience.

savery

imported post

Thanks guys - I knew I was ok to CC (i have a permit) in the national forest, but the wilderness areas kind of confused me.

When I'm hiking, two things that are always coming with me are a gun and my amateur radio handheld. I've been carrying in my pack - agreed, it's not the preferable way to carry, but i'd rather have it there than nowhere.

The safepacker looks awesome - like a place for binoculars, a camera, maps, gps - to most folks on the trail, anything but a gun holster!

I just hope that they open up national parks to carrying. That would open up a lot more opportunity for me....

Tomahawk

imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:

That is a really cool video, thanks!

The one I saw would be a "yellow phase" timber rattler, much like the one we've all seen on Revolutionary War flags.

From what I read timber rattlers differ from western rattlers in that they don't rattle very much, but ifone does rattle and it's looking at you, it's telling you to back off, because you're about to get F'ed up. No arguments from me. "Don't Tread on Me" indeed, I sure got that message!

What a magnificent animal.