• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Down at the pit, got in some range time...

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Well, I went out to 'the pit' to get some practice in, being that I was the only one there, I decided to get in some drills... and I learned a few things. It's the first real time I've been able to put some rounds through it...

1. Holy CRAP is that SA trigger touchy... DA is fine, SA after the first round all but surprised the crap outta me.

2. Recoil is all but non-existent. Trying to reacquire/resight rapidly, from about 10 yards, I was able to get all but 3 rounds, of a 15 rd. mag. inside the rings,spaced at 1" printed out on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Granted, most of them were on the outer rings, but at least it was consistent, and at that size/range, I definitely 'got my guy'.... The holes were CONSISTENTLY hitting one above another, indicating to me that I'm pulling the trigger a little too soon..most of which I account on the unfamiliarity of the SA trigger pull..

3. 2 stovepipes, and one FTF/FTE, W T F ?!? Anyone care to explain how THIS happened? (round discharged, casing failed to extract, new round failed to go into chamber,slide did NOT lock open, I had to drop the mag, cycle the slide, then reinsert the mag and cycle to clear it....

IMAG0037.jpg

4. My holster sucks + I need more practice. Practicing drawing excersizes, I was NOT able to reliably unholster it in a decent amount of time. I have a Serpa, and I usually attempt to withdraw the firearm BEFORE hitting the release button, which locks the firearm IN the holster,lol. It doesn't help that I had to modify the holster in order to get it to work properly.. I'm going to switch to a basic holster with no retention until I can get proficient with one that has a retention feature.. I can only imagine trying to pull out a firearm in a bad situation and all but tearing my belt off trying to get it out :banghead: .

5. Washington Weather, WTF?! It's sunny, no, it's raining, no it's HAILING, oh wait, now it's snowing.. Oh WTF!

6. I need to get a cheap RC truck, and put some paper targets on the back, and have a friend drive it around the pit to simulate a moving target, lol.

All in all, a good day...I found some of my strengths, and realized some of my weaknesses I need to work on.. So , time well spent....

Grenadier

imported post

Sound like you had a good time at least. In regards to the pic, did you look at the cassing to see if the extractor had sheared off the rim. Somtimes that happens, where a strong extractor will rip off part of the rim and leave the casing in the chamber, then the slide returns trying to chamber another round. If that is the case it may have just been a cheap brass case.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

My Jennings .22 would do that until I tweaked the feed lips on the mag, and polished the chamber a bit. Now it is reliable.

Regarding the holster, just get one with a strap across it. You're not going to be wrestling bad guys, retention is mainly between your ears anyhow. A snug holster and a strap to hold the weapon down is all most folks need. That's all I use. Of course the only people who have taken my weapon from the holster have been cops. Maybe I need an OPD proof holster :p

Stealth Potato

imported post

Have you adjusted the retention screw on your Serpa? If it's too tight, drawing smoothly can be a pain. Other than that, yeah, the only thing to do is keep practicing until putting your finger on the button and pressing it during the draw motion is second nature.

TechnoWeenie wrote:
6. I need to get a cheap RC truck, and put some paper targets on the back, and have a friend drive it around the pit to simulate a moving target, lol.
Heh, sounds like a great way to burn through replacement RC trucks. :lol:

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Stealth Potato wrote:
Have you adjusted the retention screw on your Serpa? If it's too tight, drawing smoothly can be a pain. Other than that, yeah, the only thing to do is keep practicing until putting your finger on the button and pressing it during the draw motion is second nature.

Well, I have a PT-92, and the holster was made for a M9/92F, and the tolerances aren't perfect... I need to work on it a bit to get it to slide/lock in perfectly... as it is, there's too much tension on the release mechanism, so it's not releasing properly.....

Stealth Potato wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Heh, sounds like a great way to burn through replacement RC trucks. :lol:

I know an agency that used balloons tied to RC trucks for moving target practice.. worked quite well, from what I heard..

just_a_car

imported post

Grenadier wrote:
Sound like you had a good time at least. In regards to the pic, did you look at the cassing to see if the extractor had sheared off the rim. Somtimes that happens, where a strong extractor will rip off part of the rim and leave the casing in the chamber, then the slide returns trying to chamber another round. If that is the case it may have just been a cheap brass case.
+1 on this as a possibility. Also, if the rim didn't shear, then it could've been that the casing got stuck and the ejector "slipped" off, as it is spring-loaded, but should have more than enough force to hold on to even a stuck case.

Is this a Beretta 92FS we're looking at? I think it is, due to the long exposed barrel, but it may have bearing on some people's experience with the firearm and helping to solve the issue.

Edit: I have had terrible connection problems and had written this prior to you mentioning it was a Taurus PT-92... but I wasn't too far off. ;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
This is a real good reason why I carry a WHEEL GUN!!!!
Clearing jams is something all semi-auto carriers needs to practice, a lot and usually never do. When I lost some of the dexterity and strengthin my hands, my ability to grip theslide on my 1911properly for clearing jams was degraded and I switched to a 44 Special wheel gun (eqaul stopping power). Most jams are caused by mag issues. Cheap mags can kill you. Meggar is my choice for replacement, since they make the majority of manufactures mags.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:
This is a real good reason why I carry a WHEEL GUN!!!!
Clearing jams is something all semi-auto carriers needs to practice, a lot and usually never do. When I lost some of the dexterity and strengthin my hands, my ability to grip theslide on my 1911properly for clearing jams was degraded and I switched to a 44 Special wheel gun (eqaul stopping power). Most jams are caused by mag issues. Cheap mags can kill you. Meggar is my choice for replacement, since they make the majority of manufactures mags.
Agreed, here's a good system to go through: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu2.htm

TechnoWeenie

imported post

joeroket wrote:
What kind of ammo were you using? Were you rapid firing when you had the FTF?

Cheap Winchester, 100 Rd. box... 18$/100 I figured it was cheap, but who cares for range ammo, right? :D

No, I was taking about 2 seconds between shots, fired, pulled the trigger again, and got a *CLICK*, I thought it didn't strike the primer, or it may be a slow burn, so I held it there for about 30 seconds, manually cocked the hammer, then fired again, another *click*... let it sit for another few seconds, retracted the slide, saw it, then took the pic....lol

I have to correct a statement about there being a stovepipe, I got ONE stovepipe, not two.. (I actually had to think bout it,lol) and it wasn't even a 'real' stovepipe, just a FTE, it lodged HORIZONTALLY between the barrell and the slide, keeping the slide open, as opposed to vertically.... Don't know if it matters or not, but that round was fired WITHOUT the mag in place...

joeroket

imported post

Could be a weak spring but if that were the case I would expect alot more FTF's than he had. I have this problem with my SW9F but only with low grade ammo during rapid fire. The FTE's could be caused by a poorly fit extractor or bad extractor spring. I doubt it is the ammo, even though it is cheap winchester they still have pretty good qulaity control, they just shave the cost with lower grade bullets and powder.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Well, I got a nice $1100 tax return coming may 2nd.. I think I'll buy a new pistol, then send THIS one back to taurus for them to work over ;)....

Gotta love the lifetime no questions asked warranty...

:D

I'll probably put another 100 rounds through it early next week.... See how things go then... To note: the mags do look a little... 'experienced'.. heh... they're both original taurus mags, 15 rds. instead of the current 17 rds. The pistol was made in 1994, and is near mint condition, barrell was spotless, slight marks on the barrell from the slide, but otherwise almost LNIB...

just_a_car

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Well, I got a nice $1100 tax return coming may 2nd.. I think I'll buy a new pistol, then send THIS one back to taurus for them to work over ;)....
Since you're considering buying a new pistol, might I suggest taking a look at GLOCK? My reason being, you need a firearm that will go bang all the time, every time.

Don't believe it can do that under adverse conditions without going kaBoom!?.... Check this out: Glock 21 Torture Test

MetalChris

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Since you're considering buying a new pistol, might I suggest taking a look at GLOCK? My reason being, you need a firearm that will go bang all the time, every time.

Don't believe it can do that under adverse conditions without going kaBoom!?.... Check this out: Glock 21 Torture Test

Or better yet:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/new_products/xd45_122005/

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Lifes to short to carry an ugly gun!:D

Trigger Dr

imported post

The ONLY reason this one won't go bang every time is that it may not be loaded (very unlikely)

Attachments

• 44Tracker4SS.jpeg
    44Tracker4SS.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 154