• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Springfield Area

cvc

imported post

Has anyone had any problems Open Carrying in the Springfield, Nixa or Ozark area?

I don't believe there are ordnances against OCing in this area, just wondering if the police take a different view.

GlockLady

imported post

My concealed carry instructor was a retired Spfld police. He was their firearm instructor for 11 or 12 years. He told us open carry was legal, but not advised in Spfld (it could cause citizens to become alarmed). My husband works with a fellow who is a youngretired policeman (car accident & couldn't pass physical). He told my husband it was legal and that it certainly never bothered him when he saw someone carrying open. He said the advantage to CC was you could get by with going into posted businesses, where you couldn't OC there. We would sincerely like to OC. I think all law abiding gun owners should. I believe once 'the public' gets used to seeing it, it would be no big deal. That is certainly the case with a lot of undesireable stuff! Anyway, with our LEO shortage, it might reduce the growing crime rate!!!!

GlockLady

imported post

I was in my favorite tactical and police supply store yesterday. I asked the man in there what he could tell me about open carry in Springfield. He boiled down what he had heard from LEOs and lawyers to this: It is legal but not advised because someone (anti-gunner) could call the police claiming they felt in fear for their life (if they saw your gun). The police could arrest you in that case and confiscate your sidearm until they could verify ownership. He said his best advice is to ask a lawyer what the repercussions would be. I had heard that advice before.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Glocklady, I'm also from Springfield and I also open carry but I will also get a ccw. matter of fact I am signed up for aug 23, If you and any one ells in the Springfield area want to get together I'm available for coffee or what ever.

And I don't know way they would tell us thats its not advisable, must just be there conditioning that guns should be hidden.

Itis legal and they can only harass us forso long, thats why they have courts.

GlockLady

imported post

Hi Mack 12 ga.

I am always interested in talking with fellow 2nd Amendment practitioners! It may sound overzealous, but my husband and I practically live and breathe our interest in staying sharp for self defense with a pistol. Wehave joined the Marshfield Shooting Club, butwork so much overtime thatwe don't get to the range very often. We do, however, practice with our air pistols every chance we get at home. I got my CCL a couple of years ago, my husband plans to get his. We are of the opinion that all law-abiding citizens with good sense should carry open! ha ha I can envision some anti-gun nitwit crying foul if they saw open carry, just to make their point and get you in trouble. Also, I have heard some say that the element of surprise (CCW) is to your advantage if someone is planning to pose a threat.

Did you hear about the woman (last weekend) at the Walmart parking lot (Kearney & Glenstone) who was robbed at knifepoint? He stole her purse and got away in a burgandy oldsmobile.

You said you open carry. Where/when do you do that, if I may ask? My husband knows one or two guys who open carry around the little towns they live in. They were, however, dressed in their cowboy shooting garb. I'mthrilled you are doing that in Springfield. If a number of us would do that it would be a good thing. The 'public' and crimminals need to get used to seeing people wearing guns.Crime is getting out of hand in this town, and our police force keeps dwindling, so it is likely to get worse. I would be game.

GlockLady

Mack 12ga.

imported post

I live around us 65 and sunshine i have just started carrying openly but am limited due to the fact that i go to places that i cant i.e work, church, but I've been in the grocery store and a little bit around town, thats why i will be getting my c.c.w but i always at least have it in the car.

I will Email youlater when i have alittle moretime, I'm at work ( unarmed ).

later for now Mack

GlockLady

imported post

Mack,

I have replied twice to your email to my private address. Both times they failed to go through. Could your company be blocking them?

GlockLady

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Welcome CGLOCK19

I just got your post, do you O C where have you been in town have you had any problems yet ?? I have been to a few stores in the area and haven't hadany problems as of yet.

I've been talking with Glocklady she is pretty awesome and from the area and rite now the three of us are the only one's in Springfield that I know of,., talk at ya later Mack

CGlock19

imported post

I do not OC myself for several reasons around Springfield. I am somewhat new to carrying alltogether & dont wish to attract attention. I do know of another forum where theres atleast 15 people or more that ccw around springfield. I would like to meet up with some people of the same interest for dinners, camping, gun range & whatever else sounds good.

captainamerica

imported post

Missouricarry.com has a forum with likely a good number of Springfielders (and the surrounding area) that CCW. Their statewide picnic and shoot is in late September (I think).

CGlock19 wrote:
I do not OC myself for several reasons around Springfield. I am somewhat new to carrying alltogether & dont wish to attract attention. I do know of another forum where theres atleast 15 people or more that ccw around springfield. I would like to meet up with some people of the same interest for dinners, camping, gun range & whatever else sounds good.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

A Gun in the House

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no
possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the
shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

As John Steinbeck once said:

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is
too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your
tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes
away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the
Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger
was carrying and
asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded,
"Because they don't make a 46."

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with
monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner
when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you
have your pistol. Are
you expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting
trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE
PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

I was once asked by a lady visiting if I had a gun in the house. I said
I did. She said "Well I certainly hope it isn't loaded!" To which I
said, of course it is loaded, can't work without bullets!"

She then asked, "Are you that afraid of someone evil coming into your
house?" My reply was, "No not at all. I am not afraid of the house
catching fire either, but I have fire extinguishers around, and they are
all loaded too." To which I'll add, having a gun in the house that
isn't loaded is like having a car in the garage without gas in the tank.

I'm a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment! If you are too, please
forward.

kb0tpz

imported post

I live in springfield mo also and open carry all the time I am looking to meet up with others in the area that do the same, I also have a small security company,

When I have carried openly I have had no problems at all with anyone calling the police due to seeing a person with a gun.

Thanks,
kb0tpz

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Just got back from the Greene County Sheriffs office ( had to get finger printed for my c.c.w lic.) and got a chance to talk to a deputy about open carry in the state .

He had basically told me that it was legal and any officer that responded to a man with a gun would just be asked for ID and if every thing checked out then they would be sent on there way.

Now with that being said I know allot of you would say they don't have a right to stop you and ask for your ID, and I agree, but I just put in for my c.c.w and wasn't going to stand there and piss them off, it would be to easy for them to lose my application.

But the point that I'm making is that they did confirm that it was legal and you are not going to jail ( at least not with that one ) he also talked about the proper way we cold make there job a lot easer by turning on the light in the car and putting your hands on the steering wheel so they can see them and to turn off your engine this will tell them that you are cop friendly and that will go a long way on how they treat you (maybe).

It was a pleasant talk with him although he was saying that if you have your c.c.w then you should go ahead and conceal so that the sheeple wont be alarmed and they wont have to respond to a man with a gun call. but I believe that the more we carry in the open the more the sheeple will get used to us carrying and the phone calls will stop.:cool:

GlockLady

imported post

I agree, Mack.

I know where the Sheriff and deputies stand, but wonder about the police. I know most (if not all) police support the 2nd Amendment, but the chief does not. That might influence how the police would have to handle an open carry call.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

Just checking in to see if we have any more open carry people out there in Springfield, Its been awhile sense I have written anything here.

Hope we can get some more people in Springfield involved in open carry

g4373

imported post

New to the site here. I signed on because I was looking for the rules. Mostly because I was told that having a cc permit now prevents you from open carry. I got that from a man that worked in a tactical store here in town. I still don't believe him by the way. Anyway, I'm open to either form of carry. I'm 6'5 and 270lbs. It's not that easy for me to completely conceal as far as hip holsters go. Jackets or shirts don't always cover and I don't want to break the law. Anyway, glad to be here and see so many 2nd amendment people. By the way, Willard man here.

opencarryinmo

imported post

I WOULD LIKE TO GET A GROUP STARTED HERE IN THE SPRINGFIELD MO AREA THAT SUPPORTS OPEN CARRY, I DO OC HERE IN SPRINGFIELD MO AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. WE HAVE TO USE OUR RIGHT OR LOSE IT FOREVER!!!!! IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

Mack 12ga.

imported post

IOPEN CARY ON AND OFF, I ALSO HAVE A CCW, WHO EVER TOLD YOU THAT YOU CANT OPEN CARY JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A CCW PERMIT IS DEAD WRONG.

AS ONE OF MY OTHER POST SAYS, I TALKED TO DEPUTY SHERIFF ABOUT OPEN CARY AND WAS TOLD IT IS LEGAL HERE IN SPRINGFIELD, BUT BE PREPARED TO HAVE A MAN WITH A GUN CALL AND OFFICERS RESPONDING TO CHECK IT OUT, HE ALSO SAID JUST BE POLITE AND HELPFUL AND THERE SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM.

AND I NEVER WORRY ABOUT WHETHER MY GUN GETS EXPOSED WHEN I DO CARY CONCEALED DO TO THE FACT THAT ITS LEGAL HERE TO OPEN CARY.

I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS OPEN CARY HERE IN SPRINGFIELD AS OF YET BUT I ALSO DON'T SPEND TO MUCH TIME WORRYING ABOUT WHAT MIGHT BE, SO GO AHEAD AND EXERCISE YOUR 2ND AMENDMENT RITES.:cool: