• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CA - The rifle was ready, thankfully was not needed

Parrothead

imported post

Hey there, everyone! Parrothead checking in from Fabulous Las Vegas, NV :D! I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to join to share my story after reading some of the others. Mine may not be as scary as others, but it was pretty hair-raising to me at the time. Sorry if it takes a while to tell, but I want to tell it right. This is the story of the only time I ever picked up a loaded firearm with the intent to use it on something other than inanimate targets.

Before moving to Vegas, I lived my whole life in San Diego. My first apartment was a tiny thing - 350 square feet of furnished space all to myself. It was at the top of a very steep hill in a decent communityand on the second floor, soI felt pretty safe. Dad seemed to think the place was nice enough and seeing as how he was California Highway Patrol for 31 years, I thought that was a pretty good sign.

Well, a while after moving in, I got THE INTERNET and got interested in guns again. I had received a .22 rifle (Marlin Mod 60) for Christmas on my 18th birthday and figured it would be fun to go to the range. I cleaned her up all purdy and had fun with paper targets, but aside from that she stayed in a case.

One day I came upon Oleg Volk's website (google him for somegood stuff) and started thinking that maybe it would be a decent idea to actually, ya know, keep it loaded especially as I was the only one in the apartment so nobody else could mess with it. Thereafter I kept it right next to the chair I spent most of my indoor time in (laptop on the left armrest and TV across the room) with a full magazine and one in the pipe, safety on. I knew it was there and that was pretty darn nice. I also made sure at the range that I could empty the magazine in a quick, controlled manner and that the rounds would fit neatly inside of a normal human silhouette target. I know a .22 isn't the greatest defensive weapon,but I was broke, it was what I had, and it's sure better than nothing at all!

Then came the day I actually picked it up with the possibility of using it. I was as usual watching TV and surfing the internet, kicking back and enjoying life when someone knocked on my door. This was the first of only about five times in my several years that someone knocked on my door without me expecting it - gotta love that big hill and second floor :cool:

Before I go further, I should lay out a bit of background. The front of my apartment consisted of a wall with a louvered window (yes, glass louvers that cranked open)and a woodendoor. There was a space between my building and the next which was directly across from mine with the doors facing my apartment's door. The louvered windows were open, but the blinds were closed, so there was no way to see inside my apartment.

So this guy knocks on my door and says (best of recollection from a few years ago and a stressful moment) and says he's there to check on something. I stayed put, but was on guard because I hadn't received any notice and besides, it might be true. I responded that I hadn't heard of anything and he then said that he was there to check the water meter and he needed to come inside. Funny - my utility bill was only for gas and electricity with the water included in the rent. And there was no water meter or any other meter inside my apartment.

My BS meter pegged to redline which is when I got up, picked up my rifle, put the butt to my shoulder (keeping the muzzle down) and switched off the safety. Everything about this seemed wrong and like many accounts of someone trying to gain entry for nefarious reasons. Things only got worse when the doofus started trying to ARGUE with me! Then his story changed to something else I really can't remember - all I can remember was actually raising the muzzle to the door and sighting down the sights because this could get ugly at any time!

One thing I have to note is that this entire time I made sure to KEEP MY FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!!!

I was seriously scared and felt almost certain that some jerk I didn't know from Adam was about to break into my apartment KNOWING THAT I WAS INSIDE and that I was going to have to SHOOT HIM WITH THE FULL INTENTION OFTRYING TO KILLHIM.

Remember, Dad was CHP for all those years. Dad and the Boy Scouts taught me firearms safety and how to shoot, but Dad also taught me something the Boy Scouts never even mentioned. Dad taught me thatIF YOU EVER HAVE TO SHOOT AT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, ONLY DO IT WITH THE INTENTION OF KILLING THEM. DO NOT EVER THINK OF TRYING TO SHOOT A WEAPON OUT OF THEIR HAND OR TRYING TO SHOOT THEM IN THE LEG. SHOOT FOR CENTER MASS AND CONTINUE TO FIRE UNTIL THEY ARE NO LONGER A THREAT.

All this was spinning through my mind at a million miles an hour when the guy finally ADMITTED THAT HE WAS SELLING MAGAZINES FOR SOME KIND OF FUND RAISER:cuss:!!!

I told him that no, I didn't want any and I thought he was being a total jerk by lying in an attempt to get someone to open their door. AND YET HE STILL CONTINUED TO TRY TO SELL ME SOME!!! The rifle stayed up and at the ready with my finger off the trigger A few expletives hurled in his direction at a high volume finally convinced him to move on.

I heard him knock on the door of the apartment next to mine with no answer and lowered the muzzle, then heard him knock onanother doorfarther down before I figured it was safe to go back about my business after switching the safety back to "safe" and placing the rifle back in its place.

I figure there's several good things here. I never threatened him because he was never a specific threat, so the cops never had to be involved in any way. He never knew about what was behind the door, so he couldn't sue over emotional distress or some such BS. I was ready to defend myself, but never had to. Finally, and most importantly in my mind, I didn't have to do what I was prepared to do.

I also realize (getting back into guns again these days) that I still need something better for home defense and I intend to remedy that deficiency before too long with the purchase of a 12ga pump. I wasn't thinking about home defense when I made my most recent purchases - a Yugo AK-47 and a Steyr M95. Both have WAY TOO MUCH OVERPENETRATION!

On a home-defense related note, I just filled out the paperwork for a Hi-Point C9 pistol (9mm semi-auto) yesterday and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I know Hi-Point pistols are controversial to say the least, but I figured it this way - I want to see what's true about them and what's not, it should be fun in the desert for plinking and such, it was only $119.00 (no, that's not a typo), is made in the USA, comes with a full lifetime warranty,and if it proves reliable it can be used for home defense with the proper rounds until I get a 12ga pump :cool:

Thanks for posting all of your stories, allowing me to post here, and for taking the time to read all of this. I would truly appreciate any and all thoughts and critiques regarding my reactions to the jerk of a magazine salesguy.

Have a great day :D!

Decoligny

imported post

Be sure to read through the Hi-Point forum and do the little tweaks to the magazines, and get ahold of a dremel tool and polish the feed ramp. This will eliminate the "problems" the the Hi-Points are noted for.

I have put about 1,000rounds through my C9 and after the tweaks and polish, I have rarely had any FTFs. The rare FTF that Ihave I can attribute to limp wristing.

http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php

Sa45auto

imported post

Parrothead wrote:
Hey there, everyone!  Parrothead checking in from Fabulous Las Vegas, NV :D !  I've been lurking around here for a while and decided to join to share my story after reading some of the others.  Mine may not be as scary as others, but it was pretty hair-raising to me at the time.  Sorry if it takes a while to tell, but I want to tell it right.  This is the story of the only time I ever picked up a loaded firearm with the intent to use it on something other than inanimate targets.

Before moving to Vegas, I lived my whole life in San Diego.  My first apartment was a tiny thing - 350 square feet of furnished space all to myself.  It was at the top of a very steep hill in a decent community and on the second floor, so I felt pretty safe.  Dad seemed to think the place was nice enough and seeing as how he was California Highway Patrol for 31 years, I thought that was a pretty good sign.

Well, a while after moving in, I got THE INTERNET and got interested in guns again.  I had received a .22 rifle (Marlin Mod 60) for Christmas on my 18th birthday and figured it would be fun to go to the range.  I cleaned her up all purdy and had fun with paper targets, but aside from that she stayed in a case.

One day I came upon Oleg Volk's website (google him for some good stuff) and started thinking that maybe it would be a decent idea to actually, ya know, keep it loaded especially as I was the only one in the apartment so nobody else could mess with it.  Thereafter I kept it right next to the chair I spent most of my indoor time in (laptop on the left armrest and TV across the room) with a full magazine and one in the pipe, safety on.  I knew it was there and that was pretty darn nice.  I also made sure at the range that I could empty the magazine in a quick, controlled manner and that the rounds would fit neatly inside of a normal human silhouette target.  I know a .22 isn't the greatest defensive weapon, but I was broke, it was what I had, and it's sure better than nothing at all!

Then came the day I actually picked it up with the possibility of using it.  I was as usual watching TV and surfing the internet, kicking back and enjoying life when someone knocked on my door.  This was the first of only about five times in my several years that someone knocked on my door without me expecting it - gotta love that big hill and second floor :cool:

Before I go further, I should lay out a bit of background.  The front of my apartment consisted of a wall with a louvered window (yes, glass louvers that cranked open) and a wooden door.  There was a space between my building and the next which was directly across from mine with the doors facing my apartment's door.  The louvered windows were open, but the blinds were closed, so there was no way to see inside my apartment.

So this guy knocks on my door and says (best of recollection from a few years ago and a stressful moment) and says he's there to check on something.  I stayed put, but was on guard because I hadn't received any notice and besides, it might be true.  I responded that I hadn't heard of anything and he then said that he was there to check the water meter and he needed to come inside.  Funny - my utility bill was only for gas and electricity with the water included in the rent.  And there was no water meter or any other meter inside my apartment.

My BS meter pegged to redline which is when I got up, picked up my rifle, put the butt to my shoulder (keeping the muzzle down) and switched off the safety.  Everything about this seemed wrong and like many accounts of someone trying to gain entry for nefarious reasons.  Things only got worse when the doofus started trying to ARGUE with me!  Then his story changed to something else I really can't remember - all I can remember was actually raising the muzzle to the door and sighting down the sights because this could get ugly at any time!

One thing I have to note is that this entire time I made sure to KEEP MY FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER!!!

I was seriously scared and felt almost certain that some jerk I didn't know from Adam was about to break into my apartment KNOWING THAT I WAS INSIDE and that I was going to have to SHOOT HIM WITH THE FULL INTENTION OF TRYING TO KILL HIM.

Remember, Dad was CHP for all those years.  Dad and the Boy Scouts taught me firearms safety and how to shoot, but Dad also taught me something the Boy Scouts never even mentioned. Dad taught me that IF YOU EVER HAVE TO SHOOT AT ANOTHER HUMAN BEING, ONLY DO IT WITH THE INTENTION OF KILLING THEM.  DO NOT EVER THINK OF TRYING TO SHOOT A WEAPON OUT OF THEIR HAND OR TRYING TO SHOOT THEM IN THE LEG.  SHOOT FOR CENTER MASS AND CONTINUE TO FIRE UNTIL THEY ARE NO LONGER A THREAT.

All this was spinning through my mind at a million miles an hour when the guy finally ADMITTED THAT HE WAS SELLING MAGAZINES FOR SOME KIND OF FUND RAISER:cuss:!!!

I told him that no, I didn't want any and I thought he was being a total jerk by lying in an attempt to get someone to open their door.  AND YET HE STILL CONTINUED TO TRY TO SELL ME SOME!!!  The rifle stayed up and at the ready with my finger off the trigger  A few expletives hurled in his direction at a high volume finally convinced him to move on.

I heard him knock on the door of the apartment next to mine with no answer and lowered the muzzle, then heard him knock on another door farther down before I figured it was safe to go back about my business after switching the safety back to "safe" and placing the rifle back in its place.

I figure there's several good things here.  I never threatened him because he was never a specific threat, so the cops never had to be involved in any way.  He never knew about what was behind the door, so he couldn't sue over emotional distress or some such BS.  I was ready to defend myself, but never had to.  Finally, and most importantly in my mind, I didn't have to do what I was prepared to do.

I also realize (getting back into guns again these days) that I still need something better for home defense and I intend to remedy that deficiency before too long with the purchase of a 12ga pump.  I wasn't thinking about home defense when I made my most recent purchases - a Yugo AK-47 and a Steyr M95.  Both have WAY TOO MUCH OVERPENETRATION! 

On a home-defense related note, I just filled out the paperwork for a Hi-Point C9 pistol (9mm semi-auto) yesterday and I get to pick it up tomorrow.  I know Hi-Point pistols are controversial to say the least, but I figured it this way - I want to see what's true about them and what's not, it should be fun in the desert for plinking and such, it was only $119.00 (no, that's not a typo), is made in the USA, comes with a full lifetime warranty, and if it proves reliable it can be used for home defense with the proper rounds until I get a 12ga pump :cool:

Thanks for posting all of your stories, allowing me to post here, and for taking the time to read all of this.  I would truly appreciate any and all thoughts and critiques regarding my reactions to the jerk of a magazine salesguy.

Have a great day :D !

Just some thoughts;

I know nothing about the validity of the above story, but it reminds me of something I have heard before.

On the old "Packing.org", not long before it went the way of all the world, there were a rash of new posters that posted these long intricate stories, where they almost had to use their gun.

They used a lot of buzz words in a story akin to what you would see in a creative writing class, where the person had done some research, and wanted to show off what they had learned.

It was the consensus that the stories were the work of one or more "wannabees". These wannabees always asked for comments at the end of their stories so that we would stroke their egos.

To make each story look a littl different he or she would alter their typing style by using all caps or all lower case, to much punctuation or to little, but there were always tell tale similarities.

We had a story on the forum, just yesterday, from a new member in Michigan, that had a lot of similarities to the one above.

In that story the poster had seen a woman being beaten. He had stopped and the mear sight of his holstered gun had sent th bad guys scampering off. It closed with the tell tale, "How did I do?"

Again these are just thoughts.

In closing, I just want to add;

Isaiah 29:4 w25-36,

...thy voice shall be, as of one that hath a familiar spirit...

Humm. Are we feeding a T?

Parrothead

imported post

Decoligny- Thanks for the tips on the Hi-Point :) I'm already on the forum over there, so I've read a few of them, but I'll do some more research tonight.

Sa45auto- I'm sorry if I gave the impression of being a troll, but I was completely unaware of the trolls you describe. I don't know what I can offer for credentials, except to say that I use the same username on www.hipointfirearmsforum.com, www.gunandgame.com, www.f-16.net, and I have my own small space on the internet - www.parrotheadjeff.com. I've already got a post up on my blog about the AK-47 and one up on gunandgame.com about the Steyr M95. I'll be posting to the blog shortly about the Steyr as well. I hope that checking some other places I've posted and comparing the writing styles might lessen your concern about me being a troll. If there's anything else I can do, please let me know via PM.

That said, the story you read above is the honest truth the best I can tell it. The writing style is the way I write. The all caps was emphasis at 2:00 AM. Please notice that I make no claims of scaring the guy off in any way and went out of my way to say that he never saw the gun and that I was happy about that.

The request for comments is there because it was an honest request, not some means to stroke my ego. If I could have done something better, I'd like to know about it and after reading everyone else's stories I figured that people around here would have an idea of what might be better.

Since I'm planning on carrying my Hi-Point (at least out in the desert)and probably some other handgun in the future, I'll be sticking around the site and hope to chat with both of you at some time in the future.

MetalChris

imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
Just some thoughts;

I know nothing about the validity of the above story, but it reminds me of something I have heard before.

On the old "Packing.org", not long before it went the way of all the world, there were a rash of new posters that posted these long intricate stories, where they almost had to use their gun.

They used a lot of buzz words in a story akin to what you would see in a creative writing class, where the person had done some research, and wanted to show off what they had learned.

It was the consensus that the stories were the work of one or more "wannabees". These wannabees always asked for comments at the end of their stories so that we would stroke their egos.

To make each story look a littl different he or she would alter their typing style by using all caps or all lower case, to much punctuation or to little, but there were always tell tale similarities.

We had a story on the forum, just yesterday, from a new member in Michigan, that had a lot of similarities to the one above.

In that story the poster had seen a woman being beaten. He had stopped and the mear sight of his holstered gun had sent th bad guys scampering off. It closed with the tell tale, "How did I do?"

Again these are just thoughts.

In closing, I just want to add;

Isaiah 29:4 w25-36,

...thy voice shall be, as of one that hath a familiar spirit...

Humm. Are we feeding a T?

My guess is...yup!

Dad and the Boy Scouts taught me firearms safety and how to shoot, but Dad also taught me something the Boy Scouts never even mentioned

Funny two of these recent posts mention the Boy Scouts...I guess it could be a coincidence, but something tells me it isn't...

Parrothead

imported post

USAF_MetalChris,

What do I have to do to not be considered a troll? What do I have to do to show that I'm not that person who wrote the other posts? Have you considered that maybe I'm actually telling the truth?

The reason I mentioned the Boy Scouts is that they did teach me to shoot along with Dad. Troop 610 in Poway, California. Mataguay Scout Reservation in Santa Ysabel, CA. .22 bolt action rifles, shotguns, and black powder.

Sa45auto

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
.....Funny two of these recent posts mention the Boy Scouts...I guess it could be a coincidence, but something tells me it isn't...

The samething struck me, and it also struck me that the references, were in a context or phrasing that was incongruent with the way a scout or former scout talks. (I am an old scout)

I like a good story, probably more than most, but.........

Parrothead

imported post

USAF_MetalChris,

I can understand being a cynic ;) I hope that postings later on in these forums might show that I'm who and what I say I am.

Sa45auto,

I don't know what you mean about someone not writing or talking like a Boy Scout. I'm 31 years old now and it's been quite a while since I put on a Boy Scout uniform. As for my writing style, please check the links I posted earlier. Aside from not being in Scouting for many years now, my writing style has evolved over the past few years based partly on what I've read (meaning incorporating parts of a style I like) and also what I must write on a daily basis. I work for a large telecommunications company in the data repair department doing second level technical support. I have to note every trouble ticket in as clear, complete, and correct manner as possible. I try to leave very little out of my notes there and I tend to do the same when writing anywhere else.

So, is there any other sort of way I can show I'm not a troll who's just hungry for love and affection??? In all seriousness, I'd like to set the record straight. Tell me how. If not, please at least address me in your replies rather than just postulating to the internet that something seems fishy. I figure any forum member deserves the basic respect of a direct answer, especially when they're new to a forum, don't know many if any of the members, and may not know the unwritten rules.

Over on F-16.net, we get our fair share of newbies who come out and in their first post either say that the F-16 sucks, the F-22 sucks, or that America sucks in which case we ask them to back it up or will counter their arguments with facts. They'll also start asking questions about nuclear weapons or the way the consent system on the F-16 or another jet works to enable their use. Another favorite topic for first posts that generates suspicion is when someone starts asking all about radar cross sections and stealth materials etc. The usual response will be something humorous, but with a reply to the person who posted telling them that these topics are not normally discussed due to OPSEC (operational security) concerns and it's done in a polite manner. At least that's how I and my buddies the admins over there do it.

If I broke some sort of unwritten rule around here, I am sorry for causing anyone offense.

The request for comments was a true request for any positive or negative feedback on the situation and how I handled it. If I had for example screwed up by switching the safety off for example or by not telling the guy I had a gun and to leave me alone, I would have welcomed those comments along with any that said I did right. I'm of the opinion that I did the right thing in the situation I posted. I just wanted the opinions of anyone else who knows more and/or might have found themselves in a similar situation.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Parrothead wrote:
BobCav,

Thanks for the assistance with that post :)
No problem. The bouncers at the door and big and intimidating, but once inside you'll see we're a great bunch. Passionate about Truth, Justice and the American Way... (cue Superman music)

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Guys ... Parrothead has contacted me and provided his full contact info including name, address and phone number. They all check out.

You may doubt his story if you wish, but he isn't a troll.

PS. Welcome aboard Parrothead !!! People here are cautious but once you are a part of the forum, you will find that there isn't a better group of pro-gun enthusiasts anywhere on the internet!!!
:monkey

XD40coyote

imported post

Parrothead, don't worry about it, this forum is a tough one sometimes, you just gotta ignore the crap when it occurs. Alot of emotionalism going on around here, and macho posturing, or whatever it all is. I have noticed it from the start and I just try to ignore it.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Parrothead, don't worry about it, this forum is a tough one sometimes, you just gotta ignore the crap when it occurs. Alot of emotionalism going on around here, and macho posturing, or whatever it all is. I have noticed it from the start and I just try to ignore it.

That's funny, I never really noticed it until now. (lol)

Boy, I'm glad I never got any of this crap from yall.

Sa45auto

imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
......Boy, I'm glad I never got any of this crap from yall.

Real self defense situations are rare, and new posters usually just sort of slide into the flow, so when you get not 1 but 3 new posters jump in with both feet, with long involved self defense stories, It starts some of us wondering about the reality of things.

Those who have been here awhile pretty much like everyone. We are like brothers and sisters, and like brothers and sisters, we some times like to scrap a little bit.

Our views are all fairly consistent, so we sometimes spend some time arguing about semantics.

I would almost bet (and I know its true for me) that some times if somebody says its white, someone else will say its black and we will use logic, quotes and what ever to make our point.

The next time that issue comes up, we might find ourselves on the other side of the coin.

Then when 3 new guys come along and don't fit the normal mode for new members, some of us little kids, look for a scrap with our new brothers and sisters.

Parrothead, welcome and just hang on and have fun and don't take anything any of us say to seriously.

Tomahawk

imported post

Fact is, you can never tell if any given forum member is a complete phony. For all you guys know, I could be some super secret service agent from MI6 with a double-oh number, or whatever.

The mods can get my IP and figure out where I usually post from, and some of you have met me in person, but what does that really tell you? And those of you who haven't even met me don't know nuthin'.

So if I come on here and tell some BS story, maybe it's true and maybe it's not. Without a police report there's no way for you to tell one way or the other.

So any story you hear only on the net should be treated as a hypothetical.

nitrovic

imported post

Parrothead wrote:
Over on F-16.net, we get our fair share of newbies who come out and in their first post either say that the F-16 sucks, the F-22 sucks, or that America sucks in which case we ask them to back it up or will counter their arguments with facts.
You'll get the same here. Some here think America sucks, cops suck, gov't sucks, wear tinfoil on your head because "they" are spying on us, blah blah blah. Welcome though, and good luck....:banghead: