• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chased/threatened tonight

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

chevy72blu wrote:
I asked if anyone could recommend me someone in the AZ area for that very topic in my second post. I knew very little about what training was availible when I posted my first message, hence why I asked for advice.
You could hardly do better than http://www.gunsite.com/ in AZ....

XD40coyote

imported post

Well I guess I was really stupid the night I was walking the dog and had to face down a group on not so nice looking youths. Unarmed except for open carry doggy. Open carry doggy would not do his business in his teeny yard, so he had to be walked, including his nightime walk.

So go ahead and flame me too...

Loneviking

imported post

What I found interesting when I started carrying, in my car, is that I grew more tolerant of some types of boorish, bad behavior. If a guy wants to tailgate me, or shine his bright lights in my mirrors---I just get over, out of the way, and let 'em go. And if they want to pull over and start something, well, I'm ready for that too--and since I won't be the aggressor, I'll likely not wind up in too much trouble.

It's just so much easier to let things go when you don't feel threatened because you have a weapon and the training to use it IF you really have too.

Saint

imported post

Ok people... chill out and calm down. Chevy made a dumb mistake. He acknowledged that. All of us have been stupid at some point in our lives. The good news is that he realizes what he did that was potentially dangerous and stupid and is attempting to better prepare himself should he be in a similar situation in the future.

Chevy, glad to have you on the forums. A word of advice to you... A gun is a tool. It is extremely valuable in ensuring you get out of a lethal confrontation alive. However, it is ALWAYS better to avoid the confrontation in the first place. Get a gun, learn to use it with deadly proficiency and carry it daily. But always try to ensure that you can avoid a situation so that the gun will truly be your last resort.

Sa45auto

imported post

Saint wrote:
Ok people... chill out and calm down. ......

Real self defense situations are rare, and new posters usually just sort of slide into the flow, so when you get not 1 but 3 new posters jump in with both feet, with long involved self defense stories, It starts some of us wondering about the reality of things.

Those who have been here awhile pretty much like everyone. We are like brothers and sisters, and like brothers and sisters, we some times like to scrap a little bit.

Our views are all fairly consistent, so we sometimes spend some time arguing about semantics.

I would almost bet (and I know its true for me) that some times if somebody says its white, someone else will say its black and we will use logic, quotes and what ever to make our point.

The next time that issue comes up, we might find ourselves on the other side of the coin.

Then when 3 new guys come along and don't fit the normal mode for new members, some of us little kids, look for a scrap with our new brothers and sisters.

chevy72blu, welcome and just hang on and have fun and don't take anything any of us say to seriously.

PT111

imported post

I would almost bet (and I know its true for me) that some times if somebody says its white, someone else will say its black and we will use logic, quotes and what ever to make our point.
I will go along with most of this except I am not sure about the logic part. :lol: Logic seems to be missing quite often in some of these discussions. :exclaim:I totally agree with the part about if someone says that something is white there will be several saying it is black and it doesn't matter that it is actually red.:banghead:

Sa45auto

imported post

PT111 wrote:
I will go along with most of this except I am not sure about the logic part. :lol: Logic seems to be missing quite often in some of these discussions. :exclaim:I totally agree with the part about if someone says that something is white there will be several saying it is black and it doesn't matter that it is actually red.:banghead:
:lol:I will go along with that.

bohdi

imported post

Chevy - take the time and pick a gun that fits you, not you fitting the gun. Make sure you fire a few different ones, pick them up, feel them in your hand. It's not a cheap endevor, so don't feel rushed to get whatever you can afford NOW. I bought a Glock Model 22 (.40) and while I was initially concerned about handling it the concern now is over all fit, comfort and how the design impacts my aim. The double trigger may be more problematic for you if you have longer fingers and a natural tendency to not use your finger tip. That can be over come by practice, but it's something that I wished I would have known before my purchase. Not that I think it's a bad gun, I do like it, but I think there may be a better gun suited for my hand is all I'm saying. The only way you'll know that is if you goto a range that allows you to rent and you can blow off 20+ rounds to get a feel for what you might want to buy.

Superlite27

imported post

Anyone seen Chevy72blu?

Hmmmmm. Doesn't seem to be around anymore. I wonder why? Maybe it's because of the nice welcome we gave him. Yeah. Good way to win friends and influence people.

I have a great idea. Instead of flaming the hell out of new visitors, let's try including them and giving them good advice.

Maybe this way, instead of alienating potential members, we could actually INCREASE THE NUMBER OF FIREARM ENTHUSIASTS.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Nah..... That's no fun. Let's continue the practice of insulting anyone with a low post count as if they are worthless in order to make ourselves seem more important.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Pointman wrote:
I've never done anything stupid in my youth, never. Wait. I got that wrong...:lol:

Welcome. If you decide that you really will carry, take a class first if you can; you'll learn how to stay out of trouble and defend yourself in one shot. If you don't mind reading a bit, check out The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery volume 6 (Amazon $17). Massad is kind of annoying since he's his own ad for himself, but there is a lot of good information. One great thing is grip method--you'll find the strongest grips only work well with Glocks ($700) HKs ($1000) and Ruger P80 and P90 series ($550) (plus specific Kahr models and a few others). Some of his stuff is bunk, but on the whole he's pretty good when it comes to defensive methods.

Glocks are light and easy to shoot; they always work. Ruger is cheap, mid-weight, and the P80/90 series is really comfortable; decocking/safe lever is a bit hard to reach. HK is super accurate, heavy, costly, and has a lot of hard-to-find parts; it's the bells-and-whistles gun. Light is nice after a day of carry (the gun doesn't get lighter as the day goes on), and S&W makes the AirLight ($800) in 5 and 7 shot revolvers chambered for both .38 Special (light recoil) and .357 Magnum. Unlike an auto-loader, revolvers work when someone is on top you.

The forum on OpenCarry is another good source of information. Trying to read it all is overwhelming, but there is a lot of good stuff and good people.
I noticed you didn't add the XD or any 1911 veriant in there. The XD is light, accurate, and comfortable, and the 1911 is very thin, and perfect for concealment IMO.

Pointman

imported post

Rabbit: You're right. I finally looked at the new XDs on Friday. They're like a cross between Glock and HK, so for some it's the best of both worlds.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Anyone seen Chevy72blu?

Hmmmmm. Doesn't seem to be around anymore. I wonder why? Maybe it's because of the nice welcome we gave him. Yeah. Good way to win friends and influence people.

I have a great idea. Instead of flaming the hell out of new visitors, let's try including them and giving them good advice.

Maybe this way, instead of alienating potential members, we could actually INCREASE THE NUMBER OF FIREARM ENTHUSIASTS.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Nah..... That's no fun. Let's continue the practice of insulting anyone with a low post count as if they are worthless in order to make ourselves seem more important.

if somebody comes on board and one of their first posts is, "OMG, listen to the stupid I did to some stupid people and they did something stupid, so I'm going to open carry now," they deserve the replies they get.

Superlite27

imported post

if somebody comes on board and one of their first posts is, "OMG, listen to the stupid I did to some stupid people and they did something stupid, so I'm going to open carry now," they deserve the replies they get.

Good point. Although, I would suggest trying to patiently educate them so their next post could possibly contain "OMG, listen to the smart I did since I've learned better" instead of just burning them for the stupid.

Then they just leave to continue their heathen ways.

SickTag

imported post

There is this urban myth going around, mostly started by hollywood that a gun vs multiple BGs is going to really stop someone in their tracks. Most of the time, shooting someone will NOT stop them. If you ever take a defensive shooting class, you will learn that you will most likely be over come by a single target with 5 to 6 shots in them then anything. They also teach you that a person can travel 21' in 1.5 seconds it takes to register what is happening and you will most likely be injured or killed in your own self defense. If shooting in defense worked so well they wouldn't teach you to put 4 to 6 rounds center of mass and then 1 to 2 to the head if they are still coming after you. With 3 unknown to be armed or not guys you are best to not stop, call the cops while you are driving and give your location so a cop can pull them over. Stopping at all is a very bad idea. Also brandishing your gun at all is a crime. Even if it is just to scare off some punks. You also might pull it to scare them but they will pull to use theirs if they have them. Also never take anything into a fight that can be taken away and used on you.

Personally, I would keep a gun on me at all times. I have had a hispanic want to be gangster harass me. I was parked waiting for my wife and I had my new born daughter in the car when some guy came up to my truck talking crap like he knew me. I pulled my gun and chambered a round and told him to back the **** away. I now always have a round chambered, you might not get a chance to when it comes down to it. Also I had my newborn in the car and I will do whatever I have to to protect her.

Remember you can only use your gun or pull your gun if you are "scared," "felt endangered," "threatened," etc... These are words to remember. Any which way do what you must to to be safe. If you get in trouble with the law over it, be sure you are alive first and foremost. Never give away any information about any kind of confrontation to the cops if you are detained.

Lesson One: STFU and ask for a lawyer, ALWAYS.

Just a few things to consider with carrying a gun. Pros and Cons.

IdahoCorsair

State Researcher
imported post

Last time Chevy posted was the 19th... and only ever posted in this thread. We either annoyed him enough to 'scare' him off (which would be unfortunate) or we 'caught' a troll red-handed (which would be good).
Who knows?