• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chased/threatened tonight

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

chevy72blu

You and your girlfriend need to learn some manners before you both get shot.

STFU and mind your business. don't confront people and if someone is following you, call the police.

chevy72blu

3 years later... Update!

Hey folks!!

I read back through this thread out of curiosity - remembering the sour taste it left my mouth from folks calling me a troll. As I said in the OP, that night sure was a kick in the ass and it completely changed my outlook on things. Since then I've changed quite a bit. It was almost hard to read back through my first post...Man was I stupid. All I can say is, "I didnt know what I didnt know".

For those that are interested in an update:
Read books by Ayoob and Col. Cooper on mindset, tactics, and situational awareness.
Took an NRA "Refuse to be a victim" course.
Bought a Browning HP 9mm, Glock 23, and Ruger SP101 over the course of about a year. Since then I only own 1911's and BHPs now.
I spent 4 days at FrontSight's facility taking a defensive handgun course, graduated, and won the steel competition.
My lady and I got our CCW, taking the course with the most knowledgeable person available in my area.
Joined IDPA and I compete regularly in conjunction with bi-weekly range practice.
Received one on one training in tactics, movement, and even some force on force. I plan to head back to FS for their advanced handgun and 4 day shotgun course in the next year or so.
I CCW every day and I've OC'd a few times.

Above all else, I've become much more aware of my surroundings and constantly stay in condition yellow, calm, and confident. I am now completely unconfrontational, driving and otherwise. I have never drawn my weapon in anger nor had to - due mostly to the fact that I dont make myself an easy mark or involve myself with stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places.

Also, I graduated college, found a great job, and the lady and I are getting married.

I've spend the last few years on local forums, Defensive Carry, and platform specific forms for BHP's and 1911s under different names, though I've lurked OCDO somewhat. Perhaps I'll be a bit more accepted now that I'm not the ignorant, stupid kid I was when I first posted. I have become much more interested in the open carry movement of late and I would like to be more involved.

I want to thank the people who gave me sound advice and and helped me get started down the path that I am on. This forum was a great resource, even if a few members weren't the most helpful.

Stay safe and keep the powder dry!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome back chevy72blu - time does fly when you're having fun doesn't it. :lol:
Glad you took the opportunity to get more involved. Nothing beats experience as a teacher.

Looks like you're getting a really nice start on life too. Congratulations.

carry for myself

Bad idea on egging him on, could have cost you and your gf your lives. tell your gf to stowe the attitude, although they may deserve the finger, you dont deserve the aftermath.

and your best option is always to RUN before using a weapon, just cause you have one doesnt mean you ever have to clear leather. avoid confrontation at all costs and NEVER ask for trouble.

follow those rules you should be allset :)

JayT

What I found interesting when I started carrying, in my car, is that I grew more tolerant of some types of boorish, bad behavior. If a guy wants to tailgate me, or shine his bright lights in my mirrors---I just get over, out of the way, and let 'em go. And if they want to pull over and start something, well, I'm ready for that too--and since I won't be the aggressor, I'll likely not wind up in too much trouble.

It's just so much easier to let things go when you don't feel threatened because you have a weapon and the training to use it IF you really have too.

Welcome back chevy72blu - time does fly when you're having fun doesn't it. :lol:
Glad you took the opportunity to get more involved. Nothing beats experience as a teacher.

Looks like you're getting a really nice start on life too. Congratulations.

Wow... I joined OCDO after any of this began... Sounds like I misses a lot (thankfully most of the drama). I feel weird "welcoming" you back, since I wasn't around during your initial post.

Thanks for the update, and taking the time to educate yourself and then us as well!

@King, I found this to be true for me as well... Whether I'm carrying or not, I am way more tolerant of the stupid-meaningless-crap. I also found that riding on the highways has made me a better driver too... I triple-check my mirrors before changing lanes to be sure I didn't miss a fellow rider...

JayT

M-Taliesin

Howdy Chevy!
I would like to welcome you to this forum, and to responsible firearms ownership. I know you caught your share of flack, and to some extent, I can understand where that is coming from. Not agree with it necessarily, but can understand it.

In my time, I've had my house burglarized twice and held up at gunpoint while performing the routine duties of my job. I never posted about those experiences, but it became readily clear to me that I was vulnerable to unsavory elements in our society. The police response ranged from 20 minutes after having a pistol pointed at my face while being robbed to over 2 hours after one of our breakins at home.

Time passed, but the uneasy sense of vulnerablity remained. Now I own and carry a weapon for the purpose of self defense. But along with owning a firearm comes the responsibility to avoid confrontations like the one you described in your OP. I'd like to offer a couple of insights as to how your experience might have gone differently.

These guys come up behind you, tailgating with bright lights on. You already were armed... with a cell phone. Calling 911 right them to tell them you were being followed by an aggressive driver and would like to know the location of the nearest available officer could have led to a meet at a nearby location. The officer, seeing the situation as you approached, would be in a far better position to see the behavior you described and taken steps to end the encounter without the subsequent confrontation you experienced.

Or, you could simply have called 911 and told them you would be heading to the nearest police station or substation, and ask that an officer be available to intercede on your behalf. In either scenario, the situation would have been resolved without the confrontation that could have ended very badly.

Never, ever, pull over to allow yourself to be confronted directly. They had one car and you did too. There are instances when several cars might be involved and they force you to stop. But using that cell phone at the instance a situation develops could slant the outcome in your favor.

Rather than reacting in a manner to escalate the original problem (i.e. flipping them off) it is important to remain calm and think of reasonable response. Rather than pulling over, drive to another location and make a few turns to assess if you are truly being followed. That cell phone and a call to 911 should be the first move once you confirm that you are, indeed, being followed. Ask for an immediate response from the nearest officer and head yourself in his direction.

Using a firearm should be your last choice. When all other options are off the table, and you have no way out of a life threatening situation, that's where the weapon comes into play. But only as your last resort and to save your life. That call from your cell phone to 911 will be recorded and show evidence that you had reasonable cause should a firearm subsequently be required in an incident of this type.

Never, ever, brandish a firearm with intent to scare off a BG in this type of situation because it may simply cause him to draw and fire on you. Keep your cool, but be ready should you need your weapon. You produce your firearm only at the point of decision, when you are ultimately faced with 'do or die' situations. And if you must produce it to save your life or the lives of others, be prepared to fire. It is not a matter to be taken lightly or with caprice. The involvement of a firearm is a deadly situation best avoided rather than engaged. In your story, I see several instances where the confrontation could well have been avoided altogether.

The best handgun is the one you never need to draw. You need to learn how to use your firearm, practice on the range, and develop a healthy respect for what it can do. Knowing your weapon will give you an assurance that you can defend your life is the chips are down. It is a tool that you hope never to use.

I personally carry an XDm .40 cal and believe it to be a good combination of stopping power and compact size. Taking it down for cleaning and routine care is a breeze. It can easily be concealed for CCW.

But the most important weapon you possess is the thing between your ears. Think through situations as they arise and look for any/all alternatives to direct confrontation. While it is nice to be armed with a handgun, you arlready are armed with a cell phone. Grab it before reaching for a pistol where possible. Use that cellphone to avoid a confrontation rather than calling when one has already developed. Leave stupid actions to the stupid people who cause these situations. Remain on a higher level and use your thought process to work through a better outcome.

Finally, learn about situational awareness. In your story, I got the impression your situational awareness came about a bit belatedly. Once you became aware of the situation, you made the wrong moves. You paved the way to make victims of you and your girl friend. The best way to handle this sort of situation is to avoid the confrontation and let the professionals deal with the confrontations. Getting them involved as near the outset as possible can make a huge difference in whether you drive away with a smile while the cops bust guys like this, or being just another couple of bodies found along the road or DOA at the E.R.

Hope something I've said seems reasonable and logical.

Be careful out there.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree with many of these assessments; however, I don't think that but so much rehashing is appropriate at this point. It is a "been there and done that" thing after all of this time.

What I think is desired by the OP is that he start with a clean slate. He's learned a lot and progressed and I see no fault in moving beyond yesterdays old news.

So again I say welcome aboard and thanks for the update.

eye95

I just like it when the main index has the following juxtaposition of words: "Chased/threatened tonight by Grapeshot."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just like it when the main index has the following juxtaposition of words: "Chased/threatened tonight by Grapeshot."

Dats funny, but mine says "Chased/threatened tonight by eye95" - we must be looking at opposite ends of the schtick.

HKcarrier

For anyone new checking out this thread, it's great to see the evolution of a gun owner... from cocky and foolhardy to calm and collected and HIGHLY TRAINED!

Anyways, a tip for everyone. THe best way to deal with the sitaution of someone aggressively tailgating is to signal... pull to the side.. let them pass. Tell yourself they have a medical emergency and are on the way to the ER...

Then forget about it.

HKcarrier

Hehe... I notice stuff like that too... the one that I laughed at was:

Why open carry?: African Americans Open Carrying... :lol:

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
The last time someone stalked me on the highway was in 1993, in Wyoming, around 2:30 am, and he was driving an 18 wheeler. My ex was driving, I was sleeping, so he probably didn't see me and was simply harassing her. She'd tried the usual stuff, including tapping her taillights, slowing down, moving to the right with a signal, but the jerk stayed glued to our tail. I told her to outrun him, as we were the only ones on the road and my car would easily do 130 if we needed to. Unfortunately, she wasn't comfortable going over 90, and the semi could keep up with us, so the situation was dangerous and getting worse.

I told her to open the moon roof while I got out my 1,000,000 candle power spotlight, plugged it in, and popped up through the moon roof. The jerk had been about 10 ft off our tail at 90 mph for the last half mile, so I lit him up for one-half second. He got the message, braked hard, backed off half a mile, and we turned at the next exit and called the state highway patrol.

If I'd have been driving, I'd simply have floored it, leaving him in the dust, and turned off at the next exit. Then again, if I'd have been driving, it's doubtful he'd have taken any interest in us.