• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling across state lines with gun

Studem

imported post

i think i have an idea but i want to be 100% certain.....

what is the (federal) law regarding traveling through a state with a loaded gun (even if the states do allow traveling in a vehicle with a loaded gun......also what if your CWL is valid in the state you are traveling through?

i hope i asked the question correctly.... cause ill be traveling to virginia (from Florida) and my CWL is valid in all but one state ill be traveling through (GA,NC,VA. validate my CWL South Carolina does not)

but according to OCDO one can have a gun in the vehicle

Sa45auto

imported post

Have you done a search on this site on traveling with a handgun?

IANAL and YOU need to search it out youyself so that you know, but in general, if you can legally posses a handgun in the state that you are comeing from and the one you are going to you can transport that gun through an intermediate state, IF that handgun is unloaded, secured in a box or holster in the trunk or in a part of the vehicle, not accessible to you.

Again that is from memory, so YOU need to find and read the law for yourself.

Have a safe trip.

LEO 229

imported post

I believe there is a website where you punch in your start and end state and it tells you the laws for guns as you enter each one.

It was really cool.

I cannot find my book mark now!!!