• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to put and leave gun outside Kmart(Chambersburg)

hillikus

imported post

So today I decided to stop in to Kmart on Wayne Ave. in Chambersburg to pick something up for my wife and it just so happened that I was OC'ing. On my way to the check out a manager asked me to please put my gun outside and leave it there because I was making some customers and employees scared. I should let you know that I was carrying my bicycle helmet in one hand and the item I was buying in the other hand. I proceeded to tell her that I was on my way to check out and she again asked me to put the gun outside. I informed her that carrying my gun openly was legal whereas putting it on my bike was not. I also asked her where exactly I was supposed to put it outside since I was on my bike. She stood there puzzled for a few seconds and then mumbled a few things and walked towards the front of the store. So again I told her I was on my way to the checkout and then I would no longer be giving Kmart my business. That statement didn't seem all that powerful since I was holding a full $1.29 item in my hand, but I wanted to express that just the same.

So my question is how would you all handle the situation? Thanks in advance.

-H

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hmmm, I'd say you handled yourself well. I know WalMart honors the state laws, but I think K-Mart is anti-firearms, so a letter might not do any good except to say that you're taking your business elsewhere.Which is funny, because I OC in the local Super K-Mart 3-4 times a week and they never say anything, including at the Customer Service counter.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

You handled it fine.

Grace and finesse may work, depending on the exact situation.Emphasis on "may."

Just because its handy, let me use your example. Like I said, you did fine. I'm just exploring whether anotherapproach might yield evenmore results.

1. Agree to leave. Cheerfully. This will almost completely disarm most people. They're expecting an argument. They're expecting indignation.

2. Politely state your case, with even a cheerful tone, and plenty of "I know you're just doing your job."

MGR: "Would you please take the gun outside."

OCer: "Oh! Yes, of course. I'm sorry. Did I causea problem?" (There is a difference between a real apology--a concession of wrongdoing, and a conversational technique of fine manners.)

MGR: "Its scaring some customers."

OCer:"Good heavens. Well, I can understand your concern."

OCer: "I wonder if you could help me with a little problem?"

MGR: "Yes?"

OCer: "Walk with me towards the door and I'll explain."

OCer: "You can see by this (helmet) that I'm riding a motorcycle. I can't really secure a firearm on a motorcycle. I've been a customer for years and really appreciate the great prices.I really need this widget. Do you think it would be a problem if I just paid for this on my way out?"

Then the door is open to a complimentary letter*, or coming back unarmed to clear up that you are a good guy, etc., etc. If you are good enough, you might even be able to salvage it right there on the spot.

*Letter Rough Concept Outline

Dear (manager/owner/etc).

I'd like to compliment you on your concern about the customers. In our world today it seems retail staff just don't care they way they used to.

Your store is always clean. The last time I had a return it was handled very smoothly with almost no wait.

I'm one of the good guys. I have: (whatever credibility points you have--years experience, license, training).

I would really appreciate the opportunity to continue shopping in your store. I am one of your target market/my family buys everything from you/eat there twice a month.

Sincerely,

(Expand on various points to give it some add'l substance)

If this doesn't do it, or phone call in a similar approach, nothing will.

Unless of course you are sure that corporate already has no policy against OC. Then you can just talk to corporate or regional or whatever.

Sa45auto

imported post

Citizen wrote:
You handled it fine.

Grace and finesse may work, depending on the exact situation.Emphasis on "may."

Just because its handy, let me use your example. Like I said, you did fine. I'm just exploring whether anotherapproach might yield evenmore results.

1. Agree to leave. Cheerfully. This will almost completely disarm most people. They're expecting an argument. They're expecting indignation.

2. Politely state your case, with even a cheerful tone, and plenty of "I know you're just doing your job."

MGR: "Would you please take the gun outside."

OCer: "Oh! Yes, of course. I'm sorry. Did I causea problem?" (There is a difference between a real apology--a concession of wrongdoing, and a conversational technique of fine manners.)

MGR: "Its scaring some customers."

OCer:"Good heavens. Well, I can understand your concern."

OCer: "I wonder if you could help me with a little problem?"

MGR: "Yes?"

OCer: "Walk with me towards the door and I'll explain."

OCer: "You can see by this (helmet) that I'm riding a motorcycle. I can't really secure a firearm on a motorcycle. I've been a customer for years and really appreciate the great prices.I really need this widget. Do you think it would be a problem if I just paid for this on my way out?"

Then the door is open to a complimentary letter*, or coming back unarmed to clear up that you are a good guy, etc., etc. If you are good enough, you might even be able to salvage it right there on the spot.

*Letter Rough Concept Outline

Dear (manager/owner/etc).

I'd like to compliment you on your concern about the customers. In our world today it seems retail staff just don't care they way they used to.

Your store is always clean. The last time I had a return it was handled very smoothly with almost no wait.

I'm one of the good guys. I have: (whatever credibility points you have--years experience, license, training).

I would really appreciate the opportunity to continue shopping in your store. I am one of your target market/my family buys everything from you/eat there twice a month.

Sincerely,

(Expand on various points to give it some add'l substance)

If this doesn't do it, or phone call in a similar approach, nothing will.

Unless of course you are sure that corporate already has no policy against OC. Then you can just talk to corporate or regional or whatever.

Some very good thoughts there Citizen.

We should all practice petting a porcupine and remember that right wrong or indifferent there is nothing more disarming (or in this case arming) than good manners.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hillikus,

I'm in Chambersburg too, and have been regularly OCing here for almost a year now. I've never OC'd in K-mart, mainly because I rarely go there, though I do know of anothe local who just OC'd there in the last week or so. He reported a cross look from the cashier, but nothing like you encountered.

If you contact me via PM, I'd very much like to discuss this with you personally.

Aran

Banned
imported post

BobCav wrote:
Aran wrote:
BobCav wrote:
I know WalMart honors the state laws,
By corporate policy, sure. In practice, not so much.
Oh nowthere you go confusing everything with reality! :D
On the other hand, the only thing ever said to me at K-Mart was essentially "Were you carrying a gun last time you were in here, or was it just a holster?"
:p Go figure.