• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barack Obama's Slippery Oratory

Flintlock

imported post

Wow. That was a powerful story and I am astounded that he voted against the basic concept of being able to protect yourself in your own home.. What a bafoon. He won't be able to hide stuff like this the closer we get to the election...

And after all that,the p.o.s. governor vetoed the bill !!

At least the legislature has the intestinal fortitude to override it into law.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I knew about the IL vote. He is disqualified from being president as everything in his history indicates that he cannot sincerely take the oath of office. The constitution to him is 2 steps below the communist manifesto. He makes me ill. The people who support him make me even more ill.

sjhipple

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I knew about the IL vote. He is disqualified from being president as everything in his history indicates that he cannot sincerely take the oath of office. The constitution to him is 2 steps below the communist manifesto. He makes me ill. The people who support him make me even more ill.

Change....change....change....

southpark-nightofthelivinghomeless_1176857340.jpg

Sa45auto

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Well, OK deepdiver.....but how do you really feel?

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Wow. That was a powerful story and I am astounded that he voted against the basic concept of being able to protect yourself in your own home.. What a bafoon. He won't be able to hide stuff like this the closer we get to the election...

At least the legislature has the intestinal fortitude to override it into law
Flintlock, you wouldn't believe the half of what a ballsac the governor of Stalinois is. Last year, the general assembly was in overtime for like a month or two arguing budget negotiations and that douche-nozzle and his minions propose a f-ing gun control bill right inthe middle of the whole damn thing! What an asshole.

Flintlock

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

Flintlock, you wouldn't believe the half of what a ballsac the governor of Stalinois is. Last year, the general assembly was in overtime for like a month or two arguing budget negotiations and that douche-nozzle and his minions propose a f-ing gun control bill right inthe middle of the whole damn thing! What an asshole.

I feel for you, I really do. I live in a free state for the most part. I think Iwould go crazy living in Illinois, heck, a couple of years ago I was driving through Illinois and couldn't wait to get out.. Hopefully, the good citizens will prevail over time and freedom will once again be realized.

I am glad Obama's true colorswere exposed and we can see his beliefs laid out on the table. This has to be hammered down in the next several months so that the wishy-washy gun owners know what they are getting.

BarryKirk

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Sadly,

None of the other candidates are worth voting for either. Except for Ron Paul, and possibly Mike Huckabee.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

I feel for you, I really do. I live in a free state for the most part. I think Iwould go crazy living in Illinois, heck, a couple of years ago I was driving through Illinois and couldn't wait to get out.. Hopefully, the good citizens will prevail over time and freedom will once again be realized.

I am glad Obama's true colorswere exposed and we can see his beliefs laid out on the table. This has to be hammered down in the next several months so that the wishy-washy gun owners know what they are getting.
Everytime I drive out of Illinois, I flip the bird behind me as I cross the state line. I always get depressed when I re-enter it later. Maybe I can sue for emotional distress? lol. Anyways, how do you like Gov. Palin? Is she a Democrat or a Republican?

imperialism2024

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Everytime I drive out of Illinois, I flip the bird behind me as I cross the state line. I always get depressed when I re-enter it later. Maybe I can sue for emotional distress? lol. Anyways, how do you like Gov. Palin? Is she a Democrat or a Republican?
Haha, I thought I was the only one who did that... I'd do it when I was going to school in New York state, and crossed back over the line into my home state of Pennsylvania. We're not perfect, but we're not New York.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sa45auto wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Well, OK deepdiver.....but how do you really feel?
Laff, you and ama-gi - great responses.

I've been a little on edge lately about gov't interference due to some business matters. Thanks for keeping me honest guys!

USMC91E6

imported post

Good Evening, Today is a sad day. I just reenlisted a few days ago which will take me to retirement. I had to recite the oath of reenlistment in which a part of it says "To defend the Constitution against all enemies, Foreign and Domestic". I guess what I'm saying is, god forbidding, if he becomes the Commanderin- Chief, would he be violating his Oath of Office if he try to take away law abiding Citizens rights? I think so.

Flintlock

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

Alaska loves Palin. She is a republican and according to polls (if you believe in that sort of thing) she has the highest approval rating of any governor in the country at over 80%. She was just quoted by a Texas newspaper (where she was attending a conference) that she would accept an invitation to be the vice presidential pick by McCain is she was asked. And it alsodoesn't hurt that she is easy on the eyes...

Speaking of politics, I was out having dinner this eveningand in walks our lone U.S.Congressman Don Young. It was an opportunity to access him and and inquireaboutsome thingsbut I usuallylike to leave people alone when they are out to eat, so I let him be...

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Flintlock wrote:
I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Flintlock wrote:

Alaska loves Palin. She is a republican and according to polls (if you believe in that sort of thing) she has the highest approval rating of any governor in the country at over 80%. She was just quoted by a Texas newspaper (where she was attending a conference) that she would accept an invitation to be the vice presidential pick by McCain is she was asked. And it alsodoesn't hurt that she is easy on the eyes...

Speaking of politics, I was out having dinner this eveningand in walks our lone U.S.Congressman Don Young. It was an opportunity to access him and and inquireaboutsome thingsbut I usuallylike to leave people alone when they are out to eat, so I let him be...
I was reading the legislative accomplishments from her web page and I Was impressed. Plus she's a lifetime NRA member. It would be absolutely wonderful if she ran for vice president with McCain. Then if they won, she could run for president later. Yes, she is quite beautiful.

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Anybody see this article?

http://tinyurl.com/438ch4

:banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss:

Laws alone can't stop violence: Obama

April 25, 2008Recommend (10)

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political

In a sit-down interview with the Sun-Times, White House hopeful Barack Obama said Thursday he has been following with great concern the gun violence that has plagued the city in recent weeks.

"The news has just been heart-breaking," Obama said after a speech to union members at McCormick Place. "I've asked my staff to contact the Chicago Police Department, and I'm going to put in a call to the mayor just to find out just what is accounting for this huge uptick."

RELATED STORIES Cops ask for help in South Side slaying Daley calls for City Hall summit to curb gun violence SWAT on patrol after bloody weekend 37 shot in city over weekend 31 shot, 2 stabbed during weekend violence

Obama said elected officials can help by restoring federal funding to put more police on the street and passing more gun-control legislation, such as better background checks for gun purchasers. But laws alone can't change things -- some parents have to get more involved in their children's lives, he said.

"Children have to be taught right and wrong, and violence isn't a way to resolve problems," Obama said. "Kids have to be kept off the streets at night. A lot of these kids, unfortunately, they might not have parents at home who are helping to give them guidance."

Obama, who had trouble with gun owners in Pennsylvania and other states, said he has never supported a blanket ban on handguns but favors letting local officials enact gun regulation appropriate for their areas. Banning guns has not always proven effective, he said.

Q&A with Obama
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama sat down with Sun-Times Political Reporter Abdon M. Pallasch on Thursday to discuss the rash of gun violence in Chicago that included the killing of five people in one house on Wednesday:

Sun-Times: Have you been following the news of all the gun deaths?

Barack Obama: The news has just been heart-breaking. I've asked my staff to contact the Chicago Police Department. and I'm going to put in a call to the mayor just to find out just what is accounting for this huge uptick.

S-T: Is there anything the federal, state, or local government can do?

B.O.: There's a bunch of things we can do. I've already said as president I want to restore [federal] COPS funding, which will put police on the streets. Additional police improves public safety. New York has seen a huge drop in crime over the last decade, more than even other cities, and part of it is they've got more cops than anybody else per capita. We've got to help local communities put more police on the streets. We want to make sure we provide state and local government with the targeting information they need, the technology they need to make sure police are going to the places most at risk for gun violence. We've got to tighten up our gun laws. I've said before we should have a much tougher background check system, one that's much more effective and make sure there aren't loopholes out there like the gun show loophole. [Or] The Tiahart Amendment [requiring destruction of gun-purchase records.] Here's an example of something common-sense: The ATF [federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms] should be able to share info with local communities about where guns are coming from, tracing guns that are used in criminal activity. It's been blocked consistently in Congress. As president, I'm gong to make sure we know if guns are being sold by unscrupulous gun dealers not abiding by existing laws. We should know about that.

Finally, we've got to deal with the underlying social issues that are causing this gun violence as well. You've got gangs of young men who are lost, who are involved in the drug trade. Starting early with early childhood education, improving our K-through-12 education, having after-school programs or summer-school programs so we are providing pathways for young people to move in the right direction.

As president, we've got to be able to help local communities put those programs in place.

S-T: In Gary [Ind.,] and in Beaumont, Texas, you talked about parents doing a better job parenting. Is that applicable here?

B.O.: Absolutely. That's what I refer to when I say we've got to get to the underlying problems here. Children have to be taught right and wrong and violence isn't a way to resolve problems. Kids have to be kept off the streets at night. Transmitting those values is important. A lot of these kids unfortunately they might not have parents at home who are helping to give them guidance. Their communities themselves are wracked with violence. They're seeing it every day going down the streets. The role of the community, the churches, other institutions, instilling a different sensibility in our young people -- that's got to be part of the solution as well.

S-T: The Washington, D.C. [handgun ban] case before the U.S. Supreme Court you were asked about at the debate -- have you have a chance to look into that more?

B.O.: My view continues to be that the constitution, I believe, does provide a right to bear arms; but that local communities, and state governments, as well as the federal government, have a right to common-sense regulations and firearm ownership [rules.] The truth is, obviously, the ban here in Chicago, the ban in D.C. is not keeping the guns out of our cities, and so I'm interested in just figuring out what works and I'm confident we can come up with laws that work and that pass constitutional muster and don't infringe on the rights of lawful gun owners whether it's in Downstate Illinois or rural Montana.

S-T: As a state legislator, you voted against a bill which would let people with orders of protection [against others] carry guns and another that would have barred municipalities from punishing people who kept guns in their homes. Why?

B.O.: I felt that [the first one] was a precedent for conceal-and-carry laws. There has not been any evidence that allowing people to carry a concealed weapon is going to make anybody safer. [The second one] is relevant to the D.C. handgun issue. I wanted to preserve the right of local communities to enforce local ordinances and this would have overturned municipalities being able to enforce their own ordinances. We can argue about whether the ordinances work or not. But I wanted to make sure that local communities were recognized as having a right to regulate firearms.

S-T: But you don't want to take a stand on the D.C. gun-ban law?

B.O.: I don't like taking a stand on pending cases.