• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My apologies if this has been asked before

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pro2A wrote:

So basically a LEO legally can stop me if I am OCing and ask to see my LTCF permit?

Absolutely NOT.

The only reason that you can be detained is with probable cause.

Open carrying of a firearm is no more reasonable suspicion of possession without a license, than driving a car is reasonable suspicion to pull you over for driving without a license.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
BGordon42 wrote:
HMDGLOCK,

On the contrary, my research indicated that Texas is not open carry (the assumption Texas is/was open carry is one I held for a long time based entirely on hearsay), and that Indiana is open carry (where based on my conversations with gun dealers and licensed owners were leading me to believe that Indiana was concealed onlybecause no one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer - the common answer was "You'd be better off carrying concealed."), hence my questions.

On a different note, I know written words at times do not carry their intended tone. With that in mind, if I have offended anyonewho has read and/or responded to my questionswith my apparent lack of understanding, I again apologize.

And, my thanks to all who answered, publicly and privately.

Indiana does allow open carry, but not in the traditional sense; allow me to explain. Whereas many states out west allow open carry without any license or permit, in Indiana, it can only be done with a permit. Nonresidents who hold a permit that says "concealed" can only use it to carry concealed. Nonresidents whose permits don't specify that they must carry concealed can carry either openly or concealed.

Also, in Texas, the open carry of handguns is always illegal, even with a concealed carry permit. However,open carrying of shotguns and rifles is perfectly legal there, and hasbeen since before the concealed carry law was passed during the governorship of George W. Bush.

Does this make everything clear?
This is not true according to the ISP. They told me a concealed license from another state is the same as from Indiana in that you can OC or CC with it. A Michigan licence states it's a concealed pistol licence, but we can OC or CC in Michigan and was confirmed bythe ISP Sgt. that responded to my question.