• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My apologies if this has been asked before

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

Hello everyone,

I was doing a little bit of research on crime rates in cities of similar size in Indiana and Texas. I was under the assumption that Texas was an open carry state, where Indiana was concealed carry only. I have had mylicense to carryfor a couple of years now, and this is my question: Is Indiana truly an open carry state? And if so, is there a special permit, or will my current permit suffice?

My thanks in advance,

Brian Gordon
New Haven, Indiana

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

Your permit is a license to carry a firearm. That permit does not specify what method it permits you to carry, does it? I thought not. Carry how you want, basically.

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
imported post

HMDGLOCK,

On the contrary, my research indicated that Texas is not open carry (the assumption Texas is/was open carry is one I held for a long time based entirely on hearsay), and that Indiana is open carry (where based on my conversations with gun dealers and licensed owners were leading me to believe that Indiana was concealed onlybecause no one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer - the common answer was "You'd be better off carrying concealed."), hence my questions.

On a different note, I know written words at times do not carry their intended tone. With that in mind, if I have offended anyonewho has read and/or responded to my questionswith my apparent lack of understanding, I again apologize.

And, my thanks to all who answered, publicly and privately.

Sa45auto

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
......On a different note, I know written words at times do not carry their intended tone. With that in mind, if I have offended anyonewho has read and/or responded to my questionswith my apparent lack of understanding, I again apologize.

Don't worry, those with thin skins don't stick around here to long.

Read and learn as there are some very knowledgeable folks here.

As for your questions......The only dumb question is the unasked question.

Welcome to the forum. :)

HMDGLOCK

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
On a different note, I know written words at times do not carry their intended tone. With that in mind, if I have offended anyonewho has read and/or responded to my questionswith my apparent lack of understanding, I again apologize.

I don't think you offended anyone, I just wanted to say youwere a little mixed up. That's all.

Sorry if I offended you, I did not mean too.

okkid

imported post

First off hello guys and gals from Washington ST.

I am going to be in the St for a few days and have my CPL for
my St and I know I can CC there, How about open carry or will I just need to CC?

I did not want to ask but I cant find any info on this.

Thanks

tattedupboy

imported post

BGordon42 wrote:
HMDGLOCK,

On the contrary, my research indicated that Texas is not open carry (the assumption Texas is/was open carry is one I held for a long time based entirely on hearsay), and that Indiana is open carry (where based on my conversations with gun dealers and licensed owners were leading me to believe that Indiana was concealed onlybecause no one seemed to be able to give me a straight answer - the common answer was "You'd be better off carrying concealed."), hence my questions.

Indiana does allow open carry, but not in the traditional sense; allow me to explain. Whereas many states out west allow open carry without any license or permit, in Indiana, it can only be done with a permit. Nonresidents who hold a permit that says "concealed" can only use it to carry concealed. Nonresidents whose permits don't specify that they must carry concealed can carry either openly or concealed.

Also, in Texas, the open carry of handguns is always illegal, even with a concealed carry permit. However,open carrying of shotguns and rifles is perfectly legal there, and hasbeen since before the concealed carry law was passed during the governorship of George W. Bush.

Does this make everything clear?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:

Indiana does allow open carry, but not in the traditional sense; allow me to explain. Whereas many states out west allow open carry without any license or permit, in Indiana, it can only be done with a permit. Nonresidents who hold a permit that says "concealed" can only use it to carry concealed. Nonresidents whose permits don't specify that they must carry concealed can carry either openly or concealed.

Also, in Texas, the open carry of handguns is always illegal, even with a concealed carry permit. However,open carrying of shotguns and rifles is perfectly legal there, and hasbeen since before the concealed carry law was passed during the governorship of George W. Bush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question:

If I am a Virginia resident and I have a VA Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun, but, I also have a NH and PA Non Resident Pistol/Revolver Licenseand License to Carry Firearms respectively, would I legally be able to OC in IN? I am asking because I know that some states like Michigan only recognize certain "resident only" licenses. My guess is that I would befine since it is my understanding that IN recognizes all handgun licenses, but, I just want to be sure that I understand how IN works. Thanks in advance!

2nd Amendment..........Use it...........Or, lose it!!:X

tattedupboy

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question:

If I am a Virginia resident and I have a VA Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun, but, I also have a NH and PA Non Resident Pistol/Revolver Licenseand License to Carry Firearms respectively, would I legally be able to OC in IN? I am asking because I know that some states like Michigan only recognize certain "resident only" licenses. My guess is that I would befine since it is my understanding that IN recognizes all handgun licenses, but, I just want to be sure that I understand how IN works. Thanks in advance!

Fortunately, all of your permits are good in Indiana as long as you're not an Indiana resident (the moment you become a resident, however, they become invalid and you'll need to obtain an Indiana license in order to be able to carry legally within the state). Indiana recognizes permits, both resident and nonresident, from every state and foreign country. So, to answer your question, since your NH and PA permits don't specify "concealed," you can openly carry your sidearm if you choose. If you only had the VA permit, then no, because the permit specifies "concealed."

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:

I have a question:

Fortunately, all of your permits are good in Indiana as long as you're not an Indiana resident (the moment you become a resident, however, they become invalid and you'll need to obtain an Indiana license in order to be able to carry legally within the state). Indiana recognizes permits, both resident and nonresident, from every state and foreign country. So, to answer your question, since your NH and PA permits don't specify "concealed," you can openly carry your sidearm if you choose. If you only had the VA permit, then no, because the permit specifies "concealed."

This is why I like this site so much.......Thanks Tattedupboy! Just wanted to make sure I understood. Have a great day!

2nd Amendment........Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

pro2A

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
BGordon42 wrote:
HMDGLOCK,

So basically a LEO legally can stop me if I am OCing and ask to see my LTCF permit?

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pro2A wrote:
So basically a LEO legally can stop me if I am OCing and ask to see my LTCF permit?
I would say yes. Since a license is required to OC in IN, they are not out of place asking to see it if they observe you OCing, unlike KY, where no license is required.

In KY, you have no duty to show a license/permit to OC.

BTW, welcome to ocdo Pro2A. ;)

pro2A

imported post

I figured sooner or later I would make my way over here. :)I've been "loitering" for a while now.

You have really opened me up to OCing Greg. :DI do it a whole lot more now. I still CC depending on the situation, but over all its OC for me now. I am surprised about the lack of response that I get from people. When I do, its positive. I went up to get my PA state inspection for my car. I was lingering around in the bay while they worked on my car talking to the mechanic. Eventually the mechanic inquired about my firearm, and we had a good talk about PA OC and CC laws. He lives in MD, so he wasquite interested about it, and the difference in laws between the two states. I gave him a flyer and was on my way. I've passed State Troopers before going into Sheetz once. They looked right at it but didn't bother me in the least bit.

ralphb72

imported post

tattedupboy wrote
I...Nonresidents who hold a permit that says "concealed" can only use it to carry concealed. Nonresidents whose permits don't specify that they must carry concealed can carry either openly or concealed. ...

Never heard that one before, please provide the source for that information, sounds like something someone heard at a gun shop because their aunt's second cusin is a police officer who once sat in on a legislative session who heard an intern say that is what the law means.

gnbrotz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ralphb72 wrote:
tattedupboy wrote
I...Nonresidents who hold a permit that says "concealed" can only use it to carry concealed. Nonresidents whose permits don't specify that they must carry concealed can carry either openly or concealed. ...

Never heard that one before, please provide the source for that information, sounds like something someone heard at a gun shop because their aunt's second cusin is a police officer who once sat in on a legislative session who heard an intern say that is what the law means.
Perhaps he's referring to IC 35-47-2-21:
IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

This would seem to imply that if your home state's license requires you to conceal, then you are bound by the same provision while in IN. This would also imply that VA license holders would be obliged to OC while in restaurants that serve alcohol (assuming the statute applies as I've suggested).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

gnbrotz wrote:
ralphb72 wrote:
tattedupboy wrote

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

This would seem to imply that if your home state's license requires you to conceal, then you are bound by the same provision while in IN. This would also imply that VA license holders would be obliged to OC while in restaurants that serve alcohol (assuming the statute applies as I've suggested).
I have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL), my state allows open carry with or without a CPL, that is, with a CPL we don't have a duty to conceal when we carry. So can I open carry in Indiana even thought the wording on my permit states concealed?

tattedupboy

imported post

Venator wrote:
gnbrotz wrote:
ralphb72 wrote:
tattedupboy wrote

IC 35-47-2-21

I have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License (CPL), my state allows open carry with or without a CPL, that is, with a CPL we don't have a duty to conceal when we carry. So can I open carry in Indiana even thought the wording on my permit states concealed?
"According to the terms thereof" refers to the license; as I said earlier, if your out of state license specifies "concealed," that is how you must carry while in Indiana, and the statute clearly spells this out. Whether or not your state gives you the option of concealing is irrelevant, because Indiana law specifically says that out of state licenses are to be recognized according to the terms of the permit, not according to whether the state allows you to decide how you want to carry.