• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Education

GeneticsDave

imported post

From UtahConcealedCarry.com http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17892

[line]
Well, the family and I went grocery shopping tonight (haven't been in two weeks) and the take was HUGE! I could barely fit everything into the cart (I bagged 'cause they were short handed over at Albertson's).

So as we were walking towards the door the checker at the do-it-yourself station says: "Can I ask you a quick question?"
"Sure." I say, anticipating it having something to do with that tool on my belt.
"So how can you just walk around with you gun in the open? Is that legal?" she asks.
"Well, yes. Utah is an open-carry state. You may carry openly after age 18." I reply.

It turns out this lady has her CFP (got it a long time ago) from Doug's Shoot 'N Sports and carries a Glock 45 ACP occasionally. I encouraged her to carry it all the time, she smiled. She mentioned many instances where she has felt threated (leaving the store at midnight and being approached by strangers, etc) and was curious about being able to open carry if you are not law enforcement. So, after a little education and some chit-chat I gave her a card to join UCC (maybe she will be seen here shortly), her name is Debi. She mentioned that Doug's had told her that open-carry was not legal - maybe we need to have a discussion with their instructors
icon_smile.gif

I liked this as it was my first time being approached about open-carry and went very well (I thought). I told her that I wanted the public to know that good guys other than the police carry sidearms too, and hopefully being able to see people with sidearms will help to dispel the feeling of fear regarding guns that seems to pervade our society.
[line]

combatcarry

imported post

Albertsons has a policy that employees can not carry. If they are caught they can be fired.

They don't have a policy against customer carry, including open carry (that I'm aware of).

I've openly carried at the local Albertson's multiple times without any incident. Of course I might get special treatment because I've taught hunter education to some of the employees there. They know open carry is legal... :cool:

GeneticsDave

imported post

Mike wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:
Utah is an open-carry state. You may carry openly after age 18." I reply.

[line]
Did you explain that folks without CHPs may only OC unloaded handguns?
Yeah, I kinda paraphrased the dialog for this posting. I told her with a CFP you can carry with one in the tube and without it with a full mag. She seemed to understand what I was talking about.