• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Howdy folks.

Holo

imported post

Just wanted to introduce myself. My wife and I picked up our first firearms (Ruger 22 bullnose and Ruger 10/22 Sporter rifle) for target practice.

My wife really enjoys target shooting and, to my great surprise, is actually interested in hunting (We're both 25). I've lurked here for about a month now, just reading everyone's stories, experiences, and acquainting myself (and everyone I know) with the open carry laws.

Now, my wife and I would love to meet up with some folks for a get together, but as we're just starting out neither of us own a holster and we only have one pistol (A lowly 22 at that). I'm curious what the etiquette is if we wanted to meet up with you folks but weren't actively open carrying ourselves. Should we wait until we get a second pistol and some decent holsters?

I'm not about to stuff it in my pants, but as I said, I'm new to all this and don't want to step on anyone's toes as that majority of the forum is quite older than we are.

That aside, I'm pretty sure my next handgun purchase is going to be anything that fits into that Serpa holster I saw at DGS in Seattle. What sexy beast that is. Any recommendations for a person new to actually PURCHASING firearms and planning to open carry?

I've talked to a private instructor over at Sam's and I know Agent 47 works at Sam's, so it's probably a good idea to swing by there and pick his brain too.

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy and ask some questions.

Cheers.

Agent 47

imported post

Welcome Holo, good to see another OC'er here. As for your choice of a handgun to purchase for open carry I would advise trying several guns out before making your choice A gun that fits your hand will be a lot more intuitively accurate for you. When a gun fits you it should feel like an extension of your hand, You have spent your entire life learning that when you want to point at something you point at it, no need to sight down along your index finger to make sure. It should be the same way when you have a gun in your hand you look at the target, the gun comes up, you squeeze the trigger and the bullet impacts where you are looking. A good way to check fit is to hold a gun (not in a death grip but firmly ) Pick a target, lock that target in your minds eye and then close your eyes and bring the gun on target when you think you are on target open your eyes. Don't worry if you are not pointing directly at the target what you are looking for is the angle that the barrel is resting at in relation to your sight-line If it is cocked up or down the gun may not be the best fit for you If you are looking parallel right down the sights then hold that one aside and look for guns with similar grip angles. On a side note the 1911's grip angle seems to fit a majority of people exceptionally well and itis mimicked in the Springfield XD as well as the Smith & Wesson M&P. Sams gun shop has quite a few of these guns available for rent and you should try several before making your final choice. As for caliber you will take into account not only what you are comfortable shooting but your wife as well, Bring her along when you are hunting for a gun though it is usually best to get two guns one for you and another one that is fitted for her as it would be very rare that you would both fit the same gun.

PS. I am no longer working at Sams but everyone else there should be able to help you with your purchase,

Good luck, 47

Holo

imported post

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. When we went to buy the pistol, I found a gun that felt perfect in my hand, but the one that felt perfect for her was too "clunky" for me. I'll definitely look into the 1911, thanks for the assist!

G27

imported post

You definitely do not need to be carrying openly at any of our meetings to come join us. I rarely open carry cause I'm wearing a jacket a good majority of the times but that hasn't stopped me from coming, nor do you even need to bring a firearm. It's just about a community of people getting together to discuss something we have a passion for.

just_a_car

imported post

G27 wrote:
You definitely do not need to be carrying openly at any of our meetings to come join us. I rarely open carry cause I'm wearing a jacket a good majority of the times but that hasn't stopped me from coming, nor do you even need to bring a firearm. It's just about a community of people getting together to discuss something we have a passion for.
+1.

Come on out and have a good lunch/dinner and some good conversation. We had one today, but the next one should be May 18th.

Holo

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
For instruction, IMHO it doesn't get any better than at the Firearms Academy of Seattle. The Handgun Safety Seminar that my wife and I attended was superb. If you and your wife want to try a number of different guns, they offer a Handgun Selection Class. The next class date for that is June 8.

I went through all of those, unfortunately, my wife works 12 hour shifts as a nurse through the weekend, so any weekend classes are out for us :('

I did speak to a great guy over at Sam's that I'm going to be scheduling some group handgun safety/training sessions with for my wife, myself and my cousin. Anyone living under my roof has to be educated. :lol:

Thanks for the answers about the meetup guys, I'm definitely interested in OC, but I like to know exactly what I'm getting into. What better way to learn than to talk to people who have first party experience? May 18th should work out well for us, expect two newbies.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome!

Rent a few guns, see what you like. You'll get comfortable with one or two...
If you wander down Oly way, drop me a line!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Welcome!

Always good advice. Same goes here, I'm just east of oly if you're in the area.

I suggest renting guns from Bullseye, they rent same caliber guns for ~15$ IIRC. You can pick ANY guns that they have in the caliber of your choice. Range time is another 15$, then figure another 15$ or so to buy some range ammo, and you're set.....

Once you find the pistol that's most comfortable for you, go buy it at Mary's pistols in Tacoma...

Holo

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Welcome!

I've been reading pretty much every post you've made SV, I'll make damn sure we make a special trip out to Olympia to come see you and that boat of yours.

I've always wanted a boat of my own and I love to fish, so I'm definitely jealous.

Nothing beats freedom man.

Also, got a link or an address for Bullseye? I bought my pistol at DGS Seattle and the rifle at Butch's, but haven't heard of Bullseye or the other Tacoma store.

dlnwoody

imported post

Everyone keeps saying go to Mary's to buy guns. How are they with buying guns or trade in. I am looking at tradeing my XD 40 subcompart for a 40 or 357 compact.

Mainsail

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
Everyone keeps saying go to Mary's to buy guns. How are they with buying guns or trade in. I am looking at tradeing my XD 40 subcompart for a 40 or 357 compact.

Although I’ve never sold a gun to Mary’s- I know they do buy them or take them in trade. They are a business, so they will only buy something they think they can resell. I was in this weekend and a man brought in a bird gun, Dan wasn’t interested probably because his customers aren’t looking for that kind of shotgun and he knew he couldn’t move it. They’re a small shop with limited space. I don’t think he’d turn away your XD (especially if you’re looking to apply the trade towards a purchase) unless he already has too many of them in stock. It never hurts to ask though, so take it by.

dlnwoody

imported post

I think that is going to be my return from deployment gift. If they won't take it how is bullseyes. I am running out of places. I know there is Marksman but they lost me as a customer. Thanks for the info.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Holo wrote:
I've been reading pretty much every post you've made SV, I'll make damn sure we make a special trip out to Olympia to come see you and that boat of yours.

I've always wanted a boat of my own and I love to fish, so I'm definitely jealous.

Nothing beats freedom man.

Also, got a link or an address for Bullseye? I bought my pistol at DGS Seattle and the rifle at Butch's, but haven't heard of Bullseye or the other Tacoma store.
Now I'm blushing... :) What did you get from Butch's? I've bought a few guns from him over the years. He has an interesting selection.

Here is Bullseye's website... http://www.bullseyeshooter.com/

I hate fishing funny thing BTW. :) Actually fishing is fun, I'm not a huge fish eater.

Holo

imported post

I got a new 10/22 Ruger rifle with the synthetic stock, a box of overpriced, shitty ammunition (lesson learned, this Aguila crap always get lodged on discharge when a box of Federal at Walmart is 12 bucks), a 30 round clip for the rifle, and a 4x scope.

The son was a little scatterbrained, but the father (who I assume was Butch) took care of us quite well. Too bad I didn't know more about firearms, he was hiring. He had a nice selection of used rifles and handguns, definitely a place to stop buy and browse if you have a few extra hundred to burn.

You know, funny thing about me and fishing. I'll catch it, clean it, and cook it...but I won't touch it with a ten foot pole either. Catch and release unless someone I know eats it.

Thanks for the Bullseye website, I'll check it out.

Nosrac

imported post

I've been testing a few shops since I'm in the market for a new handgun and by far the best by my way of thinking (knowledgable and friendly customer service) is Mary's. I'm going to rent a few and shoot them this morning out at the range. When I buy I'll definately go back and talk with Dan.

I live in Lakewood (AKA "The Hood") but I'm in Oly 2 days a week.

Nosrac

imported post

I'm usually down Tuesday and Thursday mornings but it looks like my schedule is going to be freeing up soon so I may come down more often.

G19,SW M+Pc, Xd9 4" this morning at the range.