• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone go to ODU?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Just wondering if anyone here goes to ODU? I am looking at transferring there in the fall and am trying to find out what are some good places to shoot down there? Also if anyone wants to go to the range during the school year. My dad is buying a .22 pistol when I get home in a couple weeks so I can get good with that before moving up to a Bertta PX4 Storm 9mm sometime.

Thanks!

tapper95

imported post

I went to ODU and still ive in the area... search this forum, I started a thread on places to shoot in Tidewater just a few days ago...

Short list:

Bob's Gun Shop- 10 mintues from ODU, 6 lane indoor pistolrange (I think it is a little over 30 feet long) above a well stocked gun store. Decent gun prices, high prices for ammo and accesories... $100 per year last year whenI bought my membership and you can rent about 15-20 different handguns for a $6 or $7fee to try out different weapons. If you purchase a gun from Bob's they give you a one year membership.

A&P Arms (started out as A&P Pawn, I guess guns made 'em more money...) Locations in Hampton, Norfolk (down Little Creek Rd, 5-10 minutes from ODU) and Virginia Beach (across from the anti-gun Lynnhaven Mall). I've never been to Hamton or Norfolk locations, but VA Beach is mostly range with a small retail gun store. lanes up to 25 yards for handguns andrifles. Not sure about prices since I have gone twice in 5 years, but I remember them being reasonable.

Lafayette Gun Club -Newport News/Grafton- over 30 minutes from ODU in the middle of the night with no traffic... (not bad if you are going to use their 24 hr indoor range) hours, if too many people play pinball in the tunnel with their cars... Fantastic facilities from everything I have heard, but you've got to be sponsored by a member to joinand I think there is a joining fee in addition to the annual dues.

Norfolk County Rifle Range - 20 minutes from ODU in no traffic... but those darn tunnels can make the trip 3 times that during a rainy rush hour... Good facilities, but I think they only have pistol, .22 rimfire rifle, and shotgun... no rifle, probably thanks to encroachment... They do sponsor a lot of IDPA matches and always have a booth at the gun shows in the area.

C2 - Formerly the A&P outdoor range. Located in BFE Virginia Beach... If you hit the Carolina line, you've gone too far...45 mintues from ODU in good traffic, but you can go shooting and then pick strawberries in Pungo... Decent facility when A&P owned and ran it, from what I hear it is constantly being upgraded and is fantastic now... but you pay a premium price for it.

If you're really looking for a cheap place to shoot, there are stillsome neighborhoods in Norfolk that gunfire goes realatively unnoticed in... 2 mintues from ODU... check out Lambert's Point Indoor/Outdoor range covering several blocks around 35th street right before the underpass heading down Hampton Blvd... but in addition to Eye and ear protection, I would also recommend body armor and having all your backup magazines loaded before you enter...

Just kidding... that area is nowhere near as bad as it was back in the 80's and early 90's, but I still wouldn't go walking down there at night...

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Yea I don't plan on entering any sketchy areas at night or in the day time for that matter! I'm kind of hard to miss with the F150 that I drive:lol: I'll definitely look into those places if I end up going there. The hardest thing will be figuring out what to do about the gun when I am on campus. At the MSU police department here in Lansing, they will store it for you if you bring it to them unloaded in a locked case. I'm assuming that ODU police will do the same. We will see I need to call them and ask

tapper95

imported post

I think ODU will do that too, as will most schools... Check the website, and then make a phone call to the Safety Center to check their procedures...

I didn't have any firearms until I had moved out of the dorms... although when I got my first, I was living in a house that was more "on-campus" than most of the dorms... It was on 46th street right across from the Technology building... We used to go the range and then clean them on the front porch... I remember a student's Dad pulled up and parked infront of our house while we were cleaning one day and said: "I guess the car will be safe here."

tapper95

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
I never went to ODU but we used to cheer for them at football games;

WE DONT DRINK
WE DONT SMOKE
NORFOLK! NORFOLK! NORFOLK!

:p

That all depends on your accent... Locals, also referred to as Norfolkians, would pronounce it to the fullest extent of the joke...

I, however, hail from New York, via Northern Virginia, and now live in Portsmouthso I have that "CNN non-accent" thanks to all the accents cancelling eachother out...

Anyone who hasn't heard a South-Eastern Virginian pronounce Norfolk, let me know, and I will give you the phonetic spelling...

Neplusultra

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
I never went to ODU but we used to cheer for them at football games;

WE DONT DRINK
WE DONT SMOKE
NORFOLK! NORFOLK! NORFOLK!

:p

That all depends on your accent... Locals, also referred to as Norfolkians, would pronounce it to the fullest extent of the joke...

I, however, hail from New York, via Northern Virginia, and now live in Portsmouthso I have that "CNN non-accent" thanks to all the accents cancelling eachother out...

Anyone who hasn't heard a South-Eastern Virginian pronounce Norfolk, let me know, and I will give you the phonetic spelling...
Very good point, I didn't think of all the Yankees reading this. It's a Southern thang.

C45P312

imported post

I still go to ODU. Gradute this Dec 08. Finally. BS in Communications with my minor in Marketing. Don't know yet where I want to go for my MBA.

I shot mainly @ Bob's and A&P Arms. I still have 7 free range passes to A&P and 1 to Superior, so I'll be going there before I start going back to Bob's.

I'm more of a long range type of guy. In the process of my Class 3 permit. First suppressor I plan on getting is for my Savage .22LR

-Carlo