• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chicago's bloody weekend

imperialism2024

imported post

Clearly they're making it all up. Carrying guns is banned, so clearly it's false reporting. Not to mention the stabbings. Don't those journalists know that the only way people die is by being murdered by handguns... and usually their own handguns?

On a serious note, this is truly sad. But it's what happens when the good citizens are denied the right to keep and bear arms while the criminals' right to do so is protected. It's like what's happening now in Philadelphia... but that's another discussion.

Evil Ernie

imported post

These are all lies. Guns aren't allowed in Chicago, so this isn't happening. LIES!!! It can't be true!!!
So much for "police protection" and "safer streets due to gun laws"...eccch, makes me sick.
Hey, Obama, care to explain what happened this weekend? Are we feeling good yet?!?!?!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

imperialism2024

imported post

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the A-Team."

Sure, they use guns... but they don't hit anyone, so that should be kosher with the Chicago city officials...

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Come on now, guys. We should all be thankful for the gun cuntrol laws. Without them, our weapons might get pissed and open fire on us as well as other innocents all by themselves!

Flintlock

imported post

Clearly what is needed is tougher gun control laws and knife laws. How did that criminal gangster get that AK-47? They should just ban everything and do house-to-house sweeps.. :quirky

[Sarcasm off]

Seriously, these are tragic events. I am appaled about the home invasion stabbings and the poor old guy that got shot outside his house, in particular.

What is it going to take for the politicians to realize that gangs and other criminals don't follow laws? Another 100 dead?Disarming the citizenry is going to get them killed. There is no excuse for this...:cuss:

Flintlock

imported post

Here is another article from the AP. I put the absurdanti comments in bold.
txt_plus_dn.gif

[/b]

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP)[/b] --

An epidemic of gunfire rattled the city during the weekend, with at least 32 people shot and six killed.

Police Superintendent Jody Weis blamed an excess of guns and gangs for the rash of violence.

"There are just too many weapons here," Weis said at a news conference Sunday. "Too many guns, too many gangs."

At the time of that news conference, the toll was 26 separate shootings and four deaths. Later, three more shootings were reported within two hours on the West Side late Sunday and early Monday, resulting in two more deaths and four more people wounded, police said.

The other weekend shootings were scattered all over the city. Police said they included gang shootings, drive-by attacks, and even one case in which someone used an AK-47 to shoot up a plumbing supply store.

Authorities did not immediately say whether any of the shootings were thought to be related.

During the same weekend last year, there were 19 shootings, including four homicides, and 21 shootings were reported during the same weekend in 2006, Chicago police statistics show.

On Saturday, the Police Department issued new statistics showing that the city's murder rate for March was down about 1 percent from March 2007.

DopaVash

Founder's Club Member
imported post

....And guess what happened in my town in Texas?

Police: Father, Son Shoot, Kill Relative's AttackerPOSTED: 4:29 pm CDT April 18, 2008UPDATED: 4:34 pm CDT April 18, 2008
When she started screaming, the woman's brother and father grabbed their guns and opened fire, according to police.One of the robbery suspects was shot and killed in the driveway. Two others escaped with a driver in a getaway car parked down the street, officials said.Justin Holt, 25, said he had to shoot to protect his family."They tried to shoot my sister. They kicked in the door and tried to shoot my sister, so I went after them and tried to get them before they did anything to my sister," he said.Holt said his sister was not seriously injured.Police said that because both Holt and his father fired their weapons, it is not yet known who fired the fatal shot.Holt said another one of the suspects may have been shot, as well.

I wonder if this had anything to do with gun laws....?

swillden

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
What is it going to take for the politicians to realize that gangs and other criminals don't follow laws? Another 100 dead?Disarming the citizenry is going to get them killed. There is no excuse for this...:cuss:
Given the thousands (tens of thousands?) that have already been killed because they couldn't defend themselves, what's another hundred? Or thousand?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So out of the 29 shootings, how many again involved a law abiding citizen having an OK Corral type shootout with someone? How many involved a law abiding citizen doing something irresponsible with a firearm? How many involved a law abiding citizen in any role besides "target"?

I wish I had the clout to drive to Chicago, sit down in a city council meeting with the top law enforcement officials in attendance and a healthy number of media types and calmly explain to them that what they have is a LAW ENFORCEMENT PROBLEM! It is illegal for those criminals to have guns. It is illegal for them to shoot up local businesses. It is illegal for them to perform drive-bys. They had 29 instances where law enforcement and/or the judicial system failed to enforce laws and incarcerate criminals. Doesn't mean LE isn't trying, but they are obviously failing at some level for some reason. Analyzing and eliminating that failure will fix the problem. Another gun law that they will not enforce, that they will not ajudicate, that they will not incarcerate for violating will be as useful as teats on a boar. Dumba$$e$.

Deanimator

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
So out of the 29 shootings, how many again involved a law abiding citizen having an OK Corral type shootout with someone? How many involved a law abiding citizen doing something irresponsible with a firearm? How many involved a law abiding citizen in any role besides "target"?

I wish I had the clout to drive to Chicago, sit down in a city council meeting with the top law enforcement officials in attendance and a healthy number of media types and calmly explain to them that what they have is a LAW ENFORCEMENT PROBLEM! It is illegal for those criminals to have guns. It is illegal for them to shoot up local businesses. It is illegal for them to perform drive-bys. They had 29 instances where law enforcement and/or the judicial system failed to enforce laws and incarcerate criminals. Doesn't mean LE isn't trying, but they are obviously failing at some level for some reason. Analyzing and eliminating that failure will fix the problem. Another gun law that they will not enforce, that they will not ajudicate, that they will not incarcerate for violating will be as useful as teats on a boar. Dumba$$e$.
Part of the crime problem in Chicago is the Chicago PD. It's too busy committing its own crimes to worry about stopping anybody else's.

MetalChris

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
deepdiver wrote:

Part of the crime problem in Chicago is the Chicago PD. It's too busy committing its own crimes to worry about stopping anybody else's.
+1

From what I've read, the CPD is the most corrupt police force in existance today. So yes, I'd say that they most certainly do have a failure at the law enforcement level.

Giustiniani

imported post

I just love this line.

Chicago police are now stepping up patrols in areas that they call "hot zones." Police blame the warmer temperatures for the spike in violence.

I mean, it's obvious that when it's warmer people are more active.. but blame the weather for more violence?

Why don't they blame the guns? :banghead:

Seriously though, what were these people thinking?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't seen the research since criminal psych nearly 20 years ago, but at that time, there was a healthy amount of research that did show a positive correlation between temperature and crime. I only mention that because there is research to back up the PDs assertion to some level. However, I doubt (but I could be wrong) that the weather factor is nearly great enough to account for the bloody weekend.