• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying On Campus

Izzle

imported post

Hi everyone just wasnted to say that this is my first post on this forum but i have been viewing it closely the past few weeks and it has been nothing but helpful for a first time gun owner like yself when it comes to knowing the laws of our state.

I just purchased my first firearm last week (Hi-Point c9) i know its a cheaper gun but i was looking for something cheaper for the first gun and had read nothing but good things about them for the price. Anyhoo my question is about RCW 9.41.290 which states: "Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law."

So my question is why doesn't a college campus constitute a "munisipality" when the definition of munisipality is "An administrative entity composed of a clearly defined territory and its population. A municipality is typically governed by a mayor and a city council or municipal council." Wouldn't you say that a university campus SHOULD fall under this because it has its own police department, governing body, population of students that live on campus, and has a clrearly defined territory?

just_a_car

imported post

It's an interesting point, but there's another RCW, which defines a "Higher Education Institution" which is what they are. There's another one on top of that that gives the Board Of Regents of such institutions the right to make rules regarding the running of the institution; this gives "teeth" to any rules (WAC) that are enforced.

just_a_car