Thread: Military gun of choice under fire

Post imported post

Colt's lucrative M4 contract brought into question.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24229068
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Most interesting. I hope this is not a situation as we have found several times in our history where a few people in the Army procurement office, to maintain their power and influence, insure that our troops do not have the best available.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

The article is biased, but has valid points.

Post imported post

2 things Pointman, it's actually not that dirty powder causes the rifles to jam, but rather the type of powder. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I read about this a couple months ago. The original M16 was designed for one type of powder, then they switched powders, and if I remember right, the bolt had to be re designed. Now with the shorter M4, the issue of powder type again comes up. Again, I don't know too much about this since I really don't care for ARs, so I hope someone who knows more can fill us in. What I do know is that given the right kind of powder, the gas impinged system can go well over 1000 rounds without jamming, provided you don't allow foreign elements into it.

Also, why use an AR10 when you can have a FAL?

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I just don't like the lack of reliability I've had and seen with AR10's. I know that they work if you have perfect mags, perfectly clean/lubed actions, and match grade ammo, but my FAL is far less picky.

About the FAL thing, DSA has been making them in Illinois for about the past 20 years This includes mine. Best ones ever made.:celebrate
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Post imported post

This might be the best of all worlds.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/50...Saiga_308d.jpg

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    This might be the best of all worlds.

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/50...Saiga_308d.jpg
    I've been considering those, but I don't want to add another caliber to my ars... er... I mean collection. Five is probably already too many (.44 mag, .40 S&W, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, & 12ga). Now, if Saiga just came out with an AK in 7.62x54R... Fie on thee, rimmed cases.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Michigander wrote: Guess what I'll be picking up this weekend?

Post imported post

Military gun of choice under fire? When under fire, I want some FIREPOWER!

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/IfK1xjXxaR0&hl=en[/flash]

Atomic Annie. The gun in this video is on display outside the schoolhouse I went to in Fort Sill, OK for artillery training. Most impressive.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    Atomic Annie. The gun in this video is on display outside the schoolhouse I went to in Fort Sill, OK for artillery training. Most impressive.
    Hope to hell that doesn't jam...

Post imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:
    Hope to hell that doesn't jam...
    Hehe, yeah. The hell of it is that cannons do sometimes jam!

If your powder charge fails to burn all the way or you used too small a charge, you can get a "sticker", which is a live shell stuck in the rifling of the barrel. Since the fuse on the shell is activated by the G-forces of firing, that shell may explode in the gun, which means a very bad day. For a conventional shell with a time fuse, you might have time to run and dive into a hole, but I imagine that's not an option with a nuke!

Fortunately, I've never seen a real sticker, if you're using good pwder in the correct segments that shouldn't happen.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Hey, can I get one of those with a larger-than-ten-round magazine capacity? LMFAO

Post imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
    Tomahawk wrote:

Hey, can I get one of those with a larger-than-ten-round magazine capacity? LMFAO
    Well, the ammo's a bit pricey, and there may be local rules against storage of plutonium-core ammo.