• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military gun of choice under fire

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Most interesting. I hope this is not a situation as we have found several times in our history where a few people in the Army procurement office, to maintain their power and influence, insure that our troops do not have the best available.

Michigander

imported post

2 things Pointman, it's actually not that dirty powder causes the rifles to jam, but rather the type of powder. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I read about this a couple months ago. The original M16 was designed for one type of powder, then they switched powders, and if I remember right, the bolt had to be re designed. Now with the shorter M4, the issue of powder type again comes up. Again, I don't know too much about this since I really don't care for ARs, so I hope someone who knows more can fill us in. What I do know is that given the right kind of powder, the gas impinged system can go well over 1000 rounds without jamming, provided you don't allow foreign elements into it.

Also, why use an AR10 when you can have a FAL? :cool:

rangefun.jpg

Michigander

imported post

I just don't like the lack of reliability I've had and seen with AR10's. I know that they work if you have perfect mags, perfectly clean/lubed actions, and match grade ammo, but my FAL is far less picky.

About the FAL thing, DSA has been making them in Illinois for about the past 20 years This includes mine. Best ones ever made.:celebrate

imperialism2024

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I've been considering those, but I don't want to add another caliber to my ars... er... I mean collection. Five is probably already too many (.44 mag, .40 S&W, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, & 12ga). Now, if Saiga just came out with an AK in 7.62x54R... Fie on thee, rimmed cases.

Tomahawk

imported post

Military gun of choice under fire? When under fire, I want some FIREPOWER!

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/IfK1xjXxaR0&hl=en[/flash]

Atomic Annie. The gun in this video is on display outside the schoolhouse I went to in Fort Sill, OK for artillery training. Most impressive.

Tomahawk

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Atomic Annie. The gun in this video is on display outside the schoolhouse I went to in Fort Sill, OK for artillery training. Most impressive.
Hope to hell that doesn't jam...

Hehe, yeah. The hell of it is that cannons do sometimes jam!

If your powder charge fails to burn all the way or you used too small a charge, you can get a "sticker", which is a live shell stuck in the rifling of the barrel. Since the fuse on the shell is activated by the G-forces of firing, that shell may explode in the gun, which means a very bad day. For a conventional shell with a time fuse, you might have time to run and dive into a hole, but I imagine that's not an option with a nuke!

Fortunately, I've never seen a real sticker, if you're using good pwder in the correct segments that shouldn't happen.

I_Hate_Illinois

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Hey, can I get one of those with a larger-than-ten-round magazine capacity? LMFAO

Tomahawk

imported post

I_Hate_Illinois wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Hey, can I get one of those with a larger-than-ten-round magazine capacity? LMFAO
Well, the ammo's a bit pricey, and there may be local rules against storage of plutonium-core ammo.