• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Voice Recorders

ScottyT

imported post

I searched for a bit and couldn't find any recommendations...

I am looking to buy a SMALL digital voice recorder, and I am on a serious budget -- around $30 would be ok, lower would be great! Anyone got any recommendations? I have been looking on amazon, but I would rather base my decision off of one that one of you might have used!

Those of you that carry one, how do you use it? Do you discreetly turn it on when you see a need for it, do you tell the LEO that you are recording the conversation?

On a side note, I can't seem to find Utah laws relating to recording conversations, if anyone in the beehive state knows where I can look, please let me know.

Flintlock

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I searched for a bit and couldn't find any recommendations...

I am looking to buy a SMALL digital voice recorder, and I am on a serious budget -- around $30 would be ok, lower would be great! Anyone got any recommendations? I have been looking on amazon, but I would rather base my decision off of one that one of you might have used!

Those of you that carry one, how do you use it? Do you discreetly turn it on when you see a need for it, do you tell the LEO that you are recording the conversation?

On a side note, I can't seem to find Utah laws relating to recording conversations, if anyone in the beehive state knows where I can look, please let me know.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html

Utah Code Ann. § 77-23a-4: An individual legally can record or disclose the contents of any wire, oral or electronic communication to which he is a party, or when at least one participant has consented to the recording, unless the person has a criminal or tortious purpose in making the recording.
Under the statute, consent is not required for the taping of a non-electronic communication uttered by a person who does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that communication. See definition of "oral communication," Utah Code Ann. § 77-23a-3.
Unlawful interception of communications, including disclosure of the contents of a communication with reason to know of the illegal origin, is a felony — except that when the communication consists of the radio portion of a cellular telephone call, it is a misdemeanor. Civil liability for unlawful interception can include the greater of actual damages, mandatory damages ranging from $50 to $1,000 depending on whether it is a first or subsequent offense, $100 per day of violation or $10,000. Utah Code Ann. § 77-23a-11 (1999).
Installing a hidden camera or audio recorder to tape a person in a "private place" without consent is a misdemeanor. Utah Code Ann. § 76-9-402. A "private place" is a place where one may reasonably expect to be safe from intrusion or surveillance. Utah Code Ann. § 76-9-401.

ScottyT

imported post

Thanks flint! I actually just found a guide, but it didn't quote the actual laws. It appears Utah is a "one-party" state, meaning I can record any conversation I am a part of! One more reason to love Utah!

codename_47

imported post

Guys, you need to understand that there are 2 concepts at work "wiretapping" or recording conversations taking place in PRIVATE. And plain fields doctrine or actions taking place in public.

The ONLY restrictions are on actions taking place in private, where one party must be notified. Private means in a house, phone call, etc...

If you are outdoors, in a car, or whatever, your right to privacy is degraded at best or nil. Meaning...you can record whatever you want. If you don't like it, go indoors to your private area.

I would NEVER let anyone know I am recording something, lest they try to make the recording go away.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Are they video and audio recording you without your express permission or knowledge? Probably.

What's good for the goose...

I turn mine on whenever I sense (a la spiderman) a possible confrontation developing. Even with citizens. Even with employees of businesseswho seem to be making up their own rules to stroke their own ego.

Sometimes I make it obvious. I'll ignore what ever their statement is to me while I make a show of pulling it out and turning it on. Then I'll point the mic in their direction and ask them to "identify yourself for me please". Usually, whatever cr@p they were trying to force then becomes a "nevermind".