• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Requirement To Provide ID To Police?

-C4-

imported post

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding furnishing ID to the police? When is it a requirement etc?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
The city of Richmond also has an ordinance that requires you to show id to an officer.
How can they do that? What if you are out jogging or walking you dog and don't carry some ID? What are the nutcases going to do about it? Arrest you?? You could give them a bogus name and address since you have no ID. They're nuts.

Damn I hate to see the Nazi-like behavior by my servants in Virginia.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This should be interesting.

Although not literally true, it would seem they'd first have to pass a law that everyone had to have ID, and then that everyone had to carry ID.

If they left out either of those parts, it could get a little tougher for them.

Of course, if the ordinance only says you have to show it if you've got it, then all an OC'er in Richmond has to do is leave it in the car or at home. Sterile carry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

They did and then decided it was unenforceable. Then they asked the General Assembly for a mandatory ID law which they didn't get. Every time they get a new Chief, this comes up again.

Richmond has many unenforceable ordnances on the books.

Thundar

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I'm having some trouble finding it online now but if my memory is correct (and this was a few years ago), they passed an ordinance that required someone to produce id if asked by RPD. I'll keep looking for it.
I spent some time on Municode and could find nothing about a stop and Identify law in Richmond.

-C4-

imported post

So basically unless your CCWing or Driving, then you don't?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thundar wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I'm having some trouble finding it online now but if my memory is correct (and this was a few years ago), they passed an ordinance that required someone to produce id if asked by RPD. I'll keep looking for it.
I spent some time on Municode and could find nothing about a stop and Identify law in Richmond.

:idea:Lets call it something else.

Stop-and-Demand-Your-Papers law. Or, Your-Papers-Please-Comrade law. That hits the right emotional button.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

peter nap wrote:
They did and then decided it was unenforceable. Then they asked the General Assembly for a mandatory ID law which they didn't get. Every time they get a new Chief, this comes up again.

Richmond has many unenforceable ordnances on the books.
ok, thank you. I'm glad that I wasnt going nuts. I knew that the law existed at some point.

doug23838

imported post

Thundar wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

DITTO. Nothing in municode.

Butlerite

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
Required when operating a motor vehicle or carrying a concealed handgun.
Rosco13
Not trying to be a pain, but when would a LEO ask for your concealed carry permit? Your gun is concealed so he/she would not even know that you have a weapon. Also I know you have read throughout all these threads that you are not required to have a permit to carry open...am I right?

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PA-Carry wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Rosco13
Not trying to be a pain, but when would a LEO ask for your concealed carry permit? Your gun is concealed so he/she would not even know that you have a weapon. Also I know you have read throughout all these threads that you are not required to have a permit to carry open...am I right?
If you bend over or reach for something and someone sees your CCW an LEO can ask for your CHP. I have also heard that police are trained to recognise printing and are much better at spotting a ccw than your average joe. Any LEOs feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, just something I remember reading somewhere.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PA-Carry wrote:
roscoe13 wrote:
Rosco13
No, no permit required for open carry.

If you get pulled over in VA, when the LEO runs your license, it'll tell him if you have a CHP, the LEO may then ask about a gun and the permit if you tell him you're carrying...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

-C4- wrote:
Does anyone know what the laws are regarding furnishing ID to the police? When is it a requirement etc?
There is no such statute requiring folks to carry, let alone furnish ID to police, in VA, any of its localities, nor could there lawfully be such a requirement in any state. See Kolender v. Lawson, summary at http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1982/1982_81_1320/.

The VA AG has opined further that it is not obstruction of justice to refuse to identify yourslef generally to police while being detained even in a valid Terry stop. VA AG Opinion 2002-82, available at http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions/2002opns/02-082.pdf.