• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry around SW Virginia

Bubba Ron

imported post

sniper65 wrote:
I have tried to educate anyone and everyone I talk to about guns and the number one thing I try to convey is, If I lay a gun on a table and no one picks it up, whether it is loaded or not, it will not hurt or harm anyone ever. Not that I would do that by the way. But like I said it would lay there not hurting anyone or anything. Now if someone comes along and they have it in they're mind to harm others or do themselves harm then it is in they're mindset to do it. It isn't the fault of the gun. It takes intent to do harm. The gun is just a means to do it, just like a club, car or bow and arrow. People put way too much attention on the guns used in crimes, it shouldn't be there. It should be on the people that used the gun in the crime. You hear all the time about people screaming about this guy used a gun to kill someone, you never hear that same group screaming ban all cars because that guy drove his car to the guys house to kill him. Simple facts are that cars kill many more people every year than guns do and you don't hear them saying ban all cars.
Hello Rev. Carl,

I too have a huge problem with the words "gun violence". Even some pro-gun people use this term and it really bugs me. There is no such thing, if there were there would also be knife violence, car violence, baseball bat violence, even swimming pool violence - plus many more!! Welcome to OCDO, if you're ever close to the Tidewater area, let us know and we'll schedule an Open Carry Dining Out....

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Howdy,

First post...My name's Ryan. I'm a senior (sorta...I'm in my 4th year of many) at Virginia Tech and when off campus I mostly open carry. I'll admit I do it out of laziness because I'm skinny and wear shirts that don't really allow for truly concealed carry, I just forgo trying and skip straight to open.

I guess that puts me in the "Open carry around SW Virginia" group.

No problems today at the gas station or Red Robin in Christiansburg.

Yesterday I was in the hippie store in Blacksburg (Homebody) with my girlfriend and encountered nothing but kindness while open carrying.

I'm firmly convinced no one notices...

sniper65

imported post

Hello Ryan, first let me say welcome to the group. I am sorry for not posting sooner. I was very busy trying to deal with a few medical problems with my son. Anyway again welcome aboard. Please take every chance you get to help educate people in a proper manner about the gun rights that you enjoy in Virginia. The chance we have here isn't enjoyed by some other states and we should practice all the OC we can.
Take care and God Bless
Rev. Carl

cmbf117

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Howdy,

First post...My name's Ryan. I'm a senior (sorta...I'm in my 4th year of many) at Virginia Tech and when off campus I mostly open carry. I'll admit I do it out of laziness because I'm skinny and wear shirts that don't really allow for truly concealed carry, I just forgo trying and skip straight to open.

Yesterday I was in the hippie store in Blacksburg (Homebody) with my girlfriend and encountered nothing but kindness while open carrying.

A lot of people notice, they just don't say anything. Have a friend watch people around you as you do the same. You'll get shocked/dirty looks from some people, but like I said, nobody usually says anything. The best ones are the guys that have that "omg I didn't know you could do that!" look on their face as they blatantly follow your hip with their eyes. :lol:

But occasionally someone does comment...though, I've never gotten a negative comment. For example, I went tothe ABC store on south main by the Kroger for some libations a day or two ago, and the clerk commented on my Glock. He was surprised at the laws regarding OC/CC, especially since he was given a concealed weapons charge for having a walmart airsoft pistol in his car when a cop stopped him. :shock:

EDIT: BTW,if you ever wanna meet up and talk shop, gimme a PM. :)

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

cmbf117 wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Howdy,

EDIT: BTW,if you ever wanna meet up and talk shop, gimme a PM. :)
Will do. Hoping to get back home to Suffolk sooner rather than later, but I just bought a beater car that I've got to get registered Monday since the kind folks at the DMV refused to do it today w/out my girlfriend there since her name was also on the bill of sale...

Be here next year?

cmbf117

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
Be here next year?
No, I'm washing my hands clean of VT in a week, though I'll be here for the next few weeks before I actually go home. Any time would be fine though, aside from Monday (last exam) and Saturday (grad. commencement). :)