• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Support Students for Concealed Carry w/ NRA in Fredericksburg on 4/24

blackoak88

imported post

The University of Mary Washingtonchapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus welcomesBrent Gardnerfrom the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action - Grassroots Division to Combs Hall, room139 at 6:30pm on Thurs, April 24, to speak to interested people about concealed carry, self defense, and related topics followed by a Q&A session. The goal of this event is to educate those in attendance about concealed carry laws on college campuses and other issues pertaining to self defense. The event corresponds with the week long Students for Concealed Carry on Campus nationwide empty holster awareness protest. This event is in no way, shape or form meant as an aggravation; it is intended for educational purposes. Students, faculty and interested members of the public are welcome and encouraged to come. Contact me,Logan Metesh, at TMetesh@umw.edu or by phone at 313-410-5961 for more info or to let meknow you'll be there. This is open to everyone and I'd love to have some of you there to show support!

blackoak88

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
I may show up for this. If I do, I'll be sure to open carry.

Please please DO show up and please please DO open carry! It kills me thatprivate citizensare allowed to carry on campus, but the instant I start paying tuition, I go from private citizen to student and my right is taken away. Load of BS.

Anyway, I really hope to see you there. Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!

blackoak88

imported post

If anyone is planning on going, please send me a PM so I am aware. Thanks!

blackoak88

imported post

I just spoke to a reporter at the Free Lance-Star and they will be covering the event tonight. He was particularly interested in the notion that it is legal to both CC and OC on campus. Show them it's legal! Come support this!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I got back home about a half hour ago. Met Logan and a few other students there at Mary Washington. Turn out was a little light but altogether there were fivestudents, two NRA-ILA reps, one students boyfriend (who carries open but not tonight), one reporter, two college faculty (I assume), and myself. I was the only one carrying. After the NRA talk, I stayed around a while and spoke with the others (except the faculty, they stayed to themselves) and as I was leaving the Fredericksburg Star reporter talked to me for a short while. He asked why I was there. I said I was there to support the students in thier efforts. Told him my wife is a student at GMU and I worry about her safety on campus as she is just a wee girl. Several other questions but I don't want to type here all night. I just hope I represented the carry community well. We'll see when the article is written.

Oh yeah, told the students about this site, so I hope to see some them posting here in the near future.

Logan, it was a pleasure to have met you and your friends tonight! Very nice people and I wish them all the best. Perhaps I'll be able to help out with your efforts. Let me know.

blackoak88

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
I got back home about a half hour ago. Met Logan and a few other students there at Mary Washington. Turn out was a little light but altogether there were fivestudents, two NRA-ILA reps, one students boyfriend (who carries open but not tonight), one reporter, two college faculty (I assume), and myself. I was the only one carrying. After the NRA talk, I stayed around a while and spoke with the others (except the faculty, they stayed to themselves) and as I was leaving the Fredericksburg Star reporter talked to me for a short while. He asked why I was there. I said I was there to support the students in thier efforts. Told him my wife is a student at GMU and I worry about her safety on campus as she is just a wee girl. Several other questions but I don't want to type here all night. I just hope I represented the carry community well. We'll see when the article is written.

Oh yeah, told the students about this site, so I hope to see some them posting here in the near future.

Logan, it was a pleasure to have met you and your friends tonight! Very nice people and I wish them all the best. Perhaps I'll be able to help out with your efforts. Let me know.

One of the faculty you saw, the man, was our chief of police. After everything was done, I asked him what his personal stance was on students carrying and he would not give one.

Anyway, thanks so very much for coming. It was very nice to meet you and check out fredericksburg.com for the article tomorrow!

blackoak88

imported post

I picked up a print copy of today's paper and the article is on the front page above the fold! Too cool!