• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun free zones WORK!

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Here's a short statistic I did about Seattle and Chicago.

Chicago has some of the worst anti-gun laws in the country... 'Everything' is illegal, unless you're a cop...

Hmm.....

Not only are concealed carry permits issued in Seattle (King county, really), but open carry is completely legal WITHOUT a permit.. I wonder how Seattle crime statistics stack up to Chicago..

Chicago Population: 2896016
Seattle Population: 563374

Homicides in Chicago :

2004: 448
2005: 449
2006: 467

3 yr. average of 455

Homicides in Seattle :

2004: 24
2005: 25
2006: 29

3 yr. average of 26 per year.

Being that Chicago has 5x more people than Seattle, I'll artificially inflate Seattle's crime to correlate with the population... so, Seattle has a population equivalent of 130 (5x26) homicides per year.... While chicago has 455.. There are more than THREE times as many homicides in a 'gun free zone' than there are where you can not only carry a firearm concealed with a permit, but carry a firearm OPENLY even without a permit...

"Gun Free Zone" = 455 Deaths per year.
"Gun Friendly Zone" = 130 Deaths per year. (Adjusted for populatino)

Yeah, it's the guns killing people....

swillden

imported post

I agree with you, but unfortunately these statistics aren't convincing. It's easy to argue that Chicago's gun laws are a response to its violent population, not the cause of the violence, and that the reason Seattle doesn't ban guns is because Seattle doesn't have a serious problem with street violence.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

It's meant to show that

A. 'Gun Free Zones' don't work.

and

B. 'pro-gun' areas aren't higher in crime just because guns are present, and surely doesn't mean that it's the 'wild west' where gunfights break out at the drop of a hat....

I can't say that 'Gun Free Zones' increase violence, but enacting the laws to establish them sure as hell doesn't decrease violent crimes. So at this point, giving guns to law abiding citizens would, at the very LEAST, not hurt anything....

imperialism2024

imported post

It's getting tough to explain Philadelphia, though. In theory, the gun laws are almost as unrestrictive as in the rest of the state. In practice, the LTCF process is and has been almost may-issue, and gun owners are being scared out of the city... but the "unrestrictive" gun laws are still there.

Huck

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
It's getting tough to explain Philadelphia, though. In theory, the gun laws are almost as unrestrictive as in the rest of the state. In practice, the LTCF process is and has been almost may-issue, and gun owners are being scared out of the city... but the "unrestrictive" gun laws are still there.
What would help in Philly would be for the mayor, city councel, and police chief to focus on nailing the criminals instead of attempting to make honest citizensinto criminals.

swillden

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I can't say that 'Gun Free Zones' increase violence, but enacting the laws to establish them sure as hell doesn't decrease violent crimes.
Hopefully the USSC will get rid of the DC Gun Free Zone and we can have some real statistics to demonstrate that banning guns doesn't decrease violent crime -- and maybe we'll even see that banning guns increases violent crime.