• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Derka

imported post

How's it going everyone? I've been reading after I stumbled acrossthe foruma few months ago, but I was just getting used to CC at the time. So on Sunday I popped my OC cherry. I ordered myselfa nice SERPA drop-down holster for my Kimber 1911 the week before and was dying to use it (especially with the price tag on that thing). I had had an airsoft game early in the day so I spent the whole time inWoodland camo.

So there I go, I wore it the whole time I played airsoft, from about 9 am to 3 pm. I got a couple comments asking why I hadn't left it in the car from some of my friends, this after we've had 2 trucks broken into and one catalytic convertor cut off of a rig in the last couple months. We play right off of 200th st in Des Moines, down past the jail next to the golf course, so a lot of people stop and stare at all of our "guns" andask a lot of questions. After airsoft,my girlfriend andIwent shopping at both Fred Meyer and Walgreens in Renton with hardly a glance. I was expecting more, I'm thinking it was the camo.

Finished with shopping, we went to a family B-day party where I got my first negative reaction from, of all people, my Philipino, married into the family, 30 years younger than her husband, "grandma". Her eyes went wide and she got this "oh my god" look on her face before asking, "Is that real?!"

"Of course, why would I carry a toy gun around?"

"Why do you have a gun?"

"For self defense."

"But, why?!"

At this point my jaw just drops and grandpa cuts in with "Leave it alone." and she shuts up cold. I'm pretty sure I could have handled that better, I'm not gonna sugar coat it, I was completely unprepared for a response like that from family who knows, or should, that I have owned guns ever since I was legally able to.

But, on with the day. So after B-day party, we go out to Sizzler in Tukwila and the gun barely rated a second glance from anyone. We had a coupleNational Guard guys at a table across from us who eyed it for a moment, but that was all. All in all, a smooth OC day, but I think camo throws people off.

Shy_Panda

imported post

So you were OC while you were playing airsoft? I have got to admit that it seems a tad bit dangerous. I know that this is going to come across as condemnation, but it is not inteneded to be. I think that a majority of people on OCDO would suggest using an on the hip/waistband holster because it has a more police feel for the average sheeple and less of a military/tactical redneck appearance. That being said, I still want adrop down for my beretta 92 and here is a warmwelcome to the community. Glad that you have had basically all positive experiences thus far.

Misguided Child

imported post

Welcome to the board! I also think the camo would put people off.It looks like you're a military/militia wanna be. But as long as you get away with it it's cool. I think you might have more stops from Police if you keep it up. Mind you, I'm probably treadingthe same ground when I'm on the bike wearing full black leathers and a two tone Sig. And I'd love to get a drop down to watch the faces as I ride by!

Glad you had a good day OC'ing, just one question;

Did you mean FNG, as effin new guy? or is NFG something new?

Alan

Gene Beasley

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
So you were OC while you were playing airsoft? I have got to admit that it seems a tad bit dangerous.
I don't want to stand in judgement either, but the Kitsap Co SO from 2006 incident was the first thing that came to mind.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13512149/

That being said, welcome and glad your day went well (for the most part - I have those family issues as well :().

Derka

imported post

Did you mean FNG, as effin new guy? or is NFG something new?
Sorry, typo. Yes I meant FNG.

So you were OC while you were playing airsoft? I have got to admit that it seems a tad bit dangerous.
It is nomore dangerous than carrying anywhere else. But, on an airsoft field you have to worry about some numb nuts trying to grab it, so I removed the magazine and emptied the chamber while on the field. And then of course there is always the chance that some piece of brush is going to rip the gun out the of the holster while you are running. I've had that happen when I still carried an airsoft sidearm, but of course I didn't have the SERPA at the time. That airsoft sidearm was stolen in one of those truck break ins I mentioned earlier, along with about $300 in other gear of mine. My sole airsoft gun now is a silenced G36C with a 40mm red dot. Impossible to confuse that with a 1911.

I also think the camo would put people off.It looks like you're a military/militia wanna be.

That is a concern of mine. I wear camo every sunday, but beyond that, I dress in jeans andt-shirt. Strange thing is, I am often mistaken for military without camo andwhether I have a gun on me or not. I get questions on about a weekly basis like, "Where did you serve?" and, "How long where you in the army?"and every now and then a, "Would you like our military discount?" It seems like a strange image to be projecting and maybe I could get a little feedback after I meet some more OCers.

I think that a majority of people on OCDO would suggest using an on the hip/waistband holster because it has a more police feel...

I know the dropdown holster is not the most, professional? looking holster. I don't wear it for the looks, I wear it for comfort. As a security guard I wear a few things on my belt: radio, flashlight, gloves, cell phone, multi-tool, and even these things bother me. I don't like the feel of a gun on my belt, and this way, it can't dig into my side while I'm sitting, it rarely leaves my field ofview, is easier to draw (except when sitting), and leaves me a complete range of motion. Only problem is I lose the use of my right front pocket. I use a shoulder rig for CCing, and I guess I could OC with it, but it can get akward over too much clothing, maybe in the summer.

Shy_Panda

imported post

That all makes alot of sense and the clarifications help me understand the situation much better. Again I didn't want to make it sound like I was 'coming down on you' for anything. That isn't what I'm about. After the explanation I feel as though I need to go live in a van down by the river.

Derka

imported post

Don't sweat it, I'm not easily offended. I am actually looking for constructive critizism here, it does me good. I do most things for a reason, maybe not always clearly evident, but I have reasons and sometimes they are right or wrong. The most important thing for me is please, please, if I screw up, let me know! I don't want to do something and get myself in trouble out of ignorance or stupidity. Don't be bashful.

nosliw

imported post

haven't noticed anyone else from Auburn before, whereabouts in the city? i'm southeast, around the bottom of Muck Hill.

Derka

imported post

I'm near 15th NE and Auburn Way. Not familiar with Muck Hill... I've only been in Auburn for about 4 months.

Edit:Unless you're talking about Muckleshoot...