• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry...shotguns

SickTag

imported post

I was wondering what the law was for carrying a shotgun. I am most likely getting a new shotgun for my birthday next Friday. I would like to start carrying it in my truck loaded, which I know that I can do, but I was wondering about carrying it to and from my truck. I am not planning on buying a gun carrying case, so is it legal for me to carry it in a non-threating way to and from my truck? I am n ot planning on going great distances this way, just from my apartment door to the truck some 100 feet or so away. The law says:

New Mexico law allows open carry, that is, it is legal to carry a loaded weapon that is not concealed. It is also legal to have a loaded, concealed weapon in a vehicle.

I do have one set of neighbors that live near my car whom used to be a bit of a problem but not so much now that I carry all the time. They are black, not to sound racist, but they try to play the "ghetto thug" card on me, before I started carrying and I don't want them to go calling the cops because I am carrying a shotty to the truck everyday. It was advised by my CC trainer that if you really expect that you have to defend yourself a shotgun would be better then a pistol, to keep it loaded and in an easy place to get to. I wouldn't have to worry about rounds passing through the guy or stopping him or having to shoot him more then once or twice to stop the threat. I know of a guy who carries a loaded shotgun on his dashboard, but he own the property he lives on and is allowed to carry openly his shotgun to and from his car.

Thanks for the read, I would love to hear any opinions or knowledge on this subject.

mserr

imported post

Personally, I think carrying a long-gun out in the open with no case would probably not be a good idea, especially in an apartment complex. Legal or not, some people dont know any better and all they will see is a shotgun in your hands. On another note, it might not be the best idea to display your guns in an apartment complex, seems thing to "dissapear" a lot more than one might in a house. Just do yourself a favor and get a case. I suggest a gun sock, doesnt get in the way and does the job. Just have it in your glove box for the times when you're transferring vehicle to apartment.

SickTag

imported post

Good tip on the gun sock. Found that Wal Mart carries them and they are pretty cheap.

On another note, I am not too worried about people in my complex. It is pretty small and I live next to the apartment manager who is home 24/7 and is into guns himself. Any which way, there is perhaps a couple of shady looking kids that live where I do, but they seem deathly afraid of me for some reason. One weekend my buddies came over so we all could go shooting. I packed up my old military bags, brought my military issued camo machete (it gets thick in the wilds) and I had my old body armor also. I think they think I am some kind of special police or something. lol! Plus all my friends were OCing and one was carrying his Mossberg in a tactical sling.

You have to admit it is pretty funny. These kids think they are hardcore because of all the guns they shoot in video games and they nearly crap themselves when they see the real thing.

:p