• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to city council next week

Shy_Panda

imported post

Spokane is just a little bit corrupt and a whole lot of backwards, we are just trying to nip it in the bud.

Following Edit was added

Wish I could make it surf, but I have a final tomorrow and I am far to broke to aford the half tank of gas for a round trip atthis stage of the game.

surfj9009

imported post

deanf wrote:
I thought the general consensus around OCDO (at least in the WA forum) was to pursue these matters on the D.L. (down-low) with the department training divisions, and not to involve the legislative bodies. Why are you addressing the City Council when it seems the problem is about to be solved by the training division?

Sounds good to me. Ooops, wait a minute, oh yeah. Spokane does not have a training division. Officers recieve their training materials either from the BLEA's or the city attorney's office.

I have spoken with several people who confirmed this. People have been getting the run-around for a long time here in Spokane about this.

surfj9009

imported post

Well, that was fun!!! I read my statement, adding emphasis when needed. After my statement, Council Woman Mclaughlin (Spokane Police Advisory Committee) asked if i had a copy of the packet for the chief, I told her I gave one to the clerk and she would deliver it. I added that I tried to call the chief about an appointment to discuss the matter and never got a call back.

surfj9009

imported post

joeroket wrote:
That was it? Was there no open discussion other than that one question?
Nope. That was it. Council usually never does have open discussion. The session went on almost 4 hours, and open forum was last. But it gives me something to follow up on, and I can contact council members individually during the week. This was primarily just to get it into the public record.

I am still planning on getting with the chief about it too.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Sounds like it went well considering some of the current council members. Seems like Spokane is becoming more and more liberal every day. I am suprised that you still haven't heard back from the cheif, hopefully tonight might spur them into action... but I doubt it. Again sorry I couldn't make it.

just_a_car

imported post

Well-done surfj! I personally don't like public speaking and had to fight myself to go in front of the House Committee on Higher Education in Olympia, but I did it. I have a feeling a city council can and probably was just as bad for the nerves; though, you may be much more comfortable in front of a crowd than I....

surfj9009

imported post

nah....I am probably no better than most. Somebody has to do it though. If I ever want to run for congress, I better start practicing.;)

fetch

imported post

surf, you looked good on TV. I do apologize for not making it. My son came over from Ft. Lewis after getting back from Korea.
Think local just run for city council. I did a couple of years ago, and got a couple hundred votes.
The council probably didn't know what you were talking about, or the Ridpath incident. Good job on getting the info put there.

surfj9009

imported post

fetch wrote:
surf, you looked good on TV. I do apologize for not making it. My son came over from Ft. Lewis after getting back from Korea.
Think local just run for city council. I did a couple of years ago, and got a couple hundred votes.
The council probably didn't know what you were talking about, or the Ridpath incident. Good job on getting the info put there.
yeah. I figured that none of them would have a clue what i was talking about, but at least it was addressed. I do know several of them practiced law, so I imagine it will be something a few of them will look into.

Council woman Nancy Mcglaughlin is the only one on the Spokane Police Advisory Committee. I think it is time to start hammering her about this subject:
nmclaughlin@spokanecity.org

As a side note, I met with another guy who got in touch with me today about OC through the posting I put up in the Ron Paul meetup group. He is personal friends with the president of the Spokane Police Guild, and will be having lunch with him tomorrow. He asked for a copy of the packet to deliver to him, to which I obliged. I also gave him a bunch of the pamphlets since he asked for them. He intends to distribute them at the rifle competitions he shoots at. i also gave him a stack to deliver to his buddy at the guild.

We had coffee and talked politics for about an hour and a half today, and I was happy to see that he was CC'ing a .45, so i feel very confidant about his genuine interest in the subject. His daughter does a lot of rifle competitions, and one of her shooting partners is the son of Sheriff Ozzie too, so he occasionally has conversation with him as well.

While I was at the city council meeting, I briefly spoke with a writer from the Spokesman-Review about what I was going to speak about, and I gave him a copy of the packet to review. We exchanged contact info and I will plan on inviting him, as well as the gentleman we met from the Inlander, to the next OC lunch. As you probably know, the Spokesman-Review has been pretty agressive at trying to uncover corruption in this city, with a fairly good amount of success. (Mayor Jim West)
They can be fairly unrelentless at times, so that is a good contact.

Maybe he should be contacted about this Ridpath situation. We should consider it anyhow.

I am rather surprised actually that in 3 weeks I have managed to meet 2 people from the press and gather contact info from them. This could be a very critical part of our success with regards to the training bulletin, and changing the SMC like we have discussed.

Now, it is time to begin working on developing a good press release, because the time may come when we really need these 2 contacts.

I wish my damn DVR would have worked last night! I set it to record the council meeting, but when I got home, I found it did not work. I really did want to see what I looked like on tv.:dude: I suppose I could do a publics record request for it though.

fetch

imported post

surf, they replay the council meeting during the week, tuesday or wednesday. Check ch. 5 listings.
Nancy is the one I contacted about the municipal code changes. She could be of great help.

Yes, now is the time to get everything going, news, council, city att. and
Chief Kirkpatrick.:celebrate

surfj9009

imported post

thanks for the tip on re-broadcasts. I am planning on going to the chiefs office tomorrow, with a follow up on the mayor. she was not at the city council meeting when I spoke, but a packet is supposed to be delivered to her via the clerk. I only have 1 more week in town before I have to leave for 4 weeks.

fire off an email to nancy!!

so, city council again next week for SMC changes it is!!

surfj9009

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Jeez surfj, you're turning into the 'Lonnie Wilson' of Eastern WA. :p (<-- Meant as a compliment for anyone that doesn't get it).
Yeah huh? I wish i didn't have to go back to work sso soon. I feel like I'm just warming up to this. i still want to challenge the ridpath too, but might not have time. i can only focus on a few things at once.:dude: