• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Display of ABC sticker

eyesopened

imported post

Are there any regulations on how a business that serves alcohol for consumption displays their ABC sticker on the doorway? For example, I walked into a Chipotle while conceal carrying and didn't realize they serve beer and margaritas there. I had not seen any sticker on the door before walking in, and when I left I double checked and there where no stickers on the door. Also went to Taste of Tandoor in Woodbridge and same thing, no sticker or plaque on the door. Most places you can pretty much tell by the appearance they serve alcohol, but I never realized Chipotle did, The Chipotle was on Sudley in Manassas if anyone has been before.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Why would you talk about commiting a class 1 misdemeanor on the internet?:banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

That's true to a certain extent...but I wouldn't post it on a public forum afterwards.

No harm, no foul
or
Loose lips, sink ships

You beat me to it Longwatch

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

This is part of the problem with VA restaurant ban on concealed carry - almost every restaurant serving decnet food in VA serves alcohol and does not notify customers of this activilty!

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
If ever in doubt, whip it out:lol:

Well if you whip it out after you are already in the restaurant, then you are admitting to having broken the law in front of God and everybody. If you realize you are CCing in a place that serves alcohol, I think the best thing to do is just get out of there.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
This is part of the problem with VA restaurant ban on concealed carry - almost every restaurant serving decnet food in VA serves alcohol and does not notify customers of this activilty!
:)

Begging the Captain's pardon,

If "almost every" eatery serving decent food also serves alcohol, do we not open ourselves to having our stern raked by those scaliwag anti-s claiming we're too dumb to realize that notification of this activitywouldn't really benecessary?

Wanting to keep good relations between the ship's company and the lubbers, I just assume any decent restaurant does serve alcohol. Haven't overshot yet.

tapper95

imported post

As a restaurant manager myself, I can tell you, there is no such ABC sticker. You may be confusing it with the business license which has to be posted on teh front door, but that is the same for a restaurant with or without an ABC on premise license.

There is an ABC permit which has to be displayed but you usually would not see this permit anywhere near the front door. Mine is technically in teh dining room/Lounge area, but it is on a wall facing the kitchen. You also have to have ABC managers posted, but my particular restaurant does this with a listing of Managers at the front door that simply says "Managers" and not "ABC managers"...

As the line between casual dining and fast food becomes mroe and more blurred, I would say the best approach is to OC until you know... Or maybe we could get a friggin' common sense law passed... Don't even get me started on the garbage they almost passed this year...

(BTW, If anyone is wondering which restaurant, I'm DesertDoc's boss, but sometimes I wonder who's in charge of who... ;))

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK, so I have an ignorant question -- if you walk into a place you do not know serves alcohol, and upon learning that it does, you immediately exit (even if you return a few moments later OC), you're still a criminal? Isn't this the exact kind of example we want to demonstrate that unreasonably incriminates law-abiding citizens, in the name of catching a criminal?

It's so frustrating, these extreme views. Everyone knows about computers viruses and spywares, etc. So how do you 100% guarantee you prevent every virus and spyware from entering your computer? Shut it off, un plug it, set it in the corner. If you do so, you are guaranteed to never get another virus or spyware on that computer. It's not very useful anymore, but you accomplished your goal - at ANY cost.

It is not useful to society to enact a law that catches one real criminal, but in the process also criminalizes the nondangerous activities of law abiding citizens! Obviously I'm pro-gun, but I feel like this is a middle-ground that should be easily agreeable and recognized by those who might oppose some of the views I share with many members of this forum. Am I just too biased, or are anti's just too extreme? -- or am I?!

tapper95

imported post

longwatch wrote:
You have 3 options to be safe, OC everywhere, dont carry at all, or look up the establishment on VABC license finder.
http://www.abc.virginia.gov/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp?task=retaillicense

Fantastic resource if you want to do your homework on a place you don't know...

I did just think of one ABC sign that is posted on the front door: ABC Application for Permit. If the restaurant is in the process of applying for a license to sell on or off premises, there is a bright colored sign posted on the door during the process. At least this will notify you if a place that was once not serving alcohol is about to change to "ABC On".

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sounds like it is time, in the name of SAFETY and FOR THE CHILDREN to push for a bill requiring that restaurants (at least in Stanislaw's district) post AT EVERY ENTRANCE that they serve alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises . Innocent CHILDREN may walk into these restaurants and not realize that they are surrounded by evil alcohol that will have a curropting influence on their fragile little minds.

I think such signs should be at least 11 X 14 with lettering at least 1" high (anti-gun posting requirement in MO) in contrasting color stating: WARNING - This establishment serves alcohol for on premise consumption. Alcohol consumption has been proven fatal in some circumstances. Enter at your own risk.

They can throw that up next to their gun-free zone signs. And actually, I am not kidding. Since the governor vetoed the means for citizens to legally and easily carry, it is incumbent on the legislature and governor to provide a manner of alerting said citizens that they are entering a restricted zone. The only way for the citizen to know for sure is to have the place posted. And as part of the bill, let's make sure it includes a provision that any CPL holder who enters an ABC establishment which is NOT posted is barred from prosecution, however, the Owners/President/CEO and the General Manager of the unposted establishment are all guilty of committing a class 1 misdemeanor for inciting the commission of a crime by their negligent failure to follow the restaurant posting statute.

Just proposing that law, the public whining of the restaurant owners and Stanislaw will clearly show the double standard they want maintained. It will be a public relations nightmare for them if handled properly on our side.

Xeni

imported post

I've OC'd to that Chipotle's, the one over by BR and the one on Prince William County Parkway. Even with the long lines (that depending on the ability for the customers in front of you to order correctly) that you'll encounter I've never had a situation where anyone had an issue with the holstered display of my firearm.

I know they sell beer but maybe one day I'll try the margaritas. =)

As a general rule unless I already know for a fact that they aren't an ABC facility, I OC. But, then again I OC *everywhere*.

sidestreet

imported post

I'm glad someone brought this up. Ya' know, years ago (I'm talkin' 30 or more), restaurants (a lot of 'em, anyway) used to have these glowing red neon signs prominently displayed in their windows and storefronts that would read "A.B.C. ON / OFF".

I remember asking my Dad what that meant, and he told methat if both "ON" and "OFF" were lit up,the establishment could sell alcohol to take off of the premises as well as sell and serve alcohol for on site consumption. If only one was lit, then that was their only option to sell.

Now, I don't know if that is exactly correct, but it made sense to me, and since Dad said it, it"had" to be so.

Maybe Grapeshot, Peter Nap, Mike,Longwatch, and some of the other "Virginia (how shall I put this without aging someone and still show respect) Gentlemen" remember what I'm talking about, and can elaborate.

I'm not sure it was a law that they had to display that type of sign, but I think it was probably great advertisement, and on one hand that might be a good sign for persons wanting to carry, either way.

What say you, my good fellow "Virginia Gentlemen"?

Bubba Ron

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
(BTW, If anyone is wondering which restaurant, I'm DesertDoc's boss, but sometimes I wonder who's in charge of who... ;))
OK - that does it - we're doing an Open Carry Dining Out in YOUR joint - but only when John is working - so we need a schedule and directions....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sidestreet wrote:

I remember those signs. Still see one occasionally; but not in NoVA.

I always understood them to be advertising.

My favorite places. Parking lots always full of beat up Mercuries and pick up trucks. Signs that said "Shirt and Shoes Required" (I know that if they have to tell their clientele to wear shirts and shoes, its my kind of place!) Half the time there'd be some sort of hound in the front seat of the truck.

Yes, sir. Nothin' like the South.

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
sidestreet wrote:

I remember those signs. Still see one occasionally; but not in NoVA.

I always understood them to be advertising.

My favorite places. Parking lots always full of beat up Mercuries and pick up trucks. Signs that said "Shirt and Shoes Required" (I know that if they have to tell their clientele to wear shirts and shoes, its my kind of place!) Half the time there'd be some sort of hound in the front seat of the truck.

Yes, sir. Nothin' like the South.
Even better are the places that will serve you with no shoes or shirt. I know there are still a couple in the Northern Neck, and at least one in Front Royal. Never taken advantage of it, though.

danbus

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
tapper95 wrote:
OK - that does it - we're doing an Open Carry Dining Out in YOUR joint - but only when John is working - so we need a schedule and directions....

Thursday would be best.

I'm down.