• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Display of ABC sticker

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sidestreet wrote:
I'm glad someone brought this up. Ya' know, years ago (I'm talkin' 30 or more), restaurants (a lot of 'em, anyway) used to have these glowing red neon signs prominently displayed in their windows and storefronts that would read "A.B.C. ON / OFF_____________________________________________________________
I remember asking my Dad what that meant, and he told methat if both "ON" and "OFF" were lit up,the establishment could sell alcohol to take off of the premises as well as sell and serve alcohol for on site consumption. If only one was lit, then that was their only option to sell.
Maybe Grapeshot, Peter Nap, Mike,Longwatch, and some of the other "Virginia (how shall I put this without aging someone and still show respect) Gentlemen" remember what I'm talking about, and can elaborate.

Re: Neon ABC signs
ABC ON = We serve it and you drink it here.
ABC OFF = We sell it to go, carry out.

Some establishments turned off their signs when they were closing for the day.
Others keep their signs on all of the time for the advertising benfits.
And in the "olden days" you could CC in all of these fine emporiums.

We also had "private clubs" where we would bring in our own bottle which was stored in a locker behind the bar and the club would sell "set ups" (soda etc.) or some allowed "brown bagging" wherein the bottle could not appear unwrapped on the table. ABC agents would check these clubs regularly too.

Yata hey

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I remember seeing the ABC ON OFF signs when I was in grammar school. I always asked my dad what they meant, and all I remember is him cracking a joke about having someone who could read on site.

Good to know what they meant.

ODA 226

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Sounds like it is time, in the name of SAFETY and FOR THE CHILDREN to push for a bill requiring that restaurants (at least in Stanislaw's district) post AT EVERY ENTRANCE that they serve alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises . Innocent CHILDREN may walk into these restaurants and not realize that they are surrounded by evil alcohol that will have a curropting influence on their fragile little minds.

I think such signs should be at least 11 X 14 with lettering at least 1" high (anti-gun posting requirement in MO) in contrasting color stating: WARNING - This establishment serves alcohol for on premise consumption. Alcohol consumption has been proven fatal in some circumstances. Enter at your own risk.

They can throw that up next to their gun-free zone signs. And actually, I am not kidding. Since the governor vetoed the means for citizens to legally and easily carry, it is incumbent on the legislature and governor to provide a manner of alerting said citizens that they are entering a restricted zone. The only way for the citizen to know for sure is to have the place posted. And as part of the bill, let's make sure it includes a provision that any CPL holder who enters an ABC establishment which is NOT posted is barred from prosecution, however, the Owners/President/CEO and the General Manager of the unposted establishment are all guilty of committing a class 1 misdemeanor for inciting the commission of a crime by their negligent failure to follow the restaurant posting statute.

Just proposing that law, the public whining of the restaurant owners and Stanislaw will clearly show the double standard they want maintained. It will be a public relations nightmare for them if handled properly on our side.

I would add another proposal to your law, requiring restaurant patrons to don an international orange armband if they are driving a car. Those patrons will be prohibited fom drinking alcoholic beverages. If they attempt to drink said beverages, they will be guilty of a Class 6 Felony.

Any restaurant employee that willingly serves an alcoholic beverage to a person driving a vehicle will also be found guilty of a Class 6 Felony.

Anyway...... After buying my youngest daughter her first rifle last week, (a sweet little Mossberg .22 plinkster that will be painted pink) we went to Silver Diner in Newport News. I entered and saw absolutely NO INDICATION that they served alcohol there.

We sat in a nice booth in the back and THEN I saw beer bottles on display! Oh Sh%T! I immediately took off my over shirt...

There SHOULD be a requirement for all places that serve alcohol to prominently display an ABC licence or better yet, sign outside of the entrance. I could have been charged for CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol even if I didn't know they had an ABC licence! My daughter is 12 and even she said that this CC law is stupid!

marine2000

imported post

I would be careful with what i say out here as the walls do have ears and the eyes can see miles ahead past the horizon...........

Other than that....OC when you are not to sure....considering that it is the LAW now...it's fourth of July...

Exercise your right.