• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tasing Interrupts Basketball Celebration

MetalChris

imported post

(Link)

Tasing interrupts basketball celebration
April 15, 2008
http://www.ljworld.com

Final Four celebration ends in Tasing

For one Jayhawk fan, celebrating KU's big win over North Carolina ended abruptly when he was stunned by a Taser gun. As 6News reporter Jesse Fray explains, it was all over a beer bottle.

Joshua York was ready to celebrate.

Kansas University’s men’s basketball team had just defeated North Carolina in the Final Four, and he was heading to downtown Lawrence to join the crowd.

But his chance to join the approximately 20,000 Jayhawk fans on Massachusetts Street ended quickly April 5 when he was tased twice by a Kansas Highway Patrol trooper on hand to assist Lawrence police with crowd control.

York, 32, was walking west on Eighth Street toward Massachusetts Street. He’d brought a bottle of ale from home.

As he neared the crowd, he made eye contact with a few of the 200 on-duty officers.

“I smiled and held up my bottle, to salute them,” York said.

That’s when things went bad. A KHP trooper approached him.

“Immediately he demanded the bottle,” said York. “I said, ‘No,’ thinking that he wanted to prevent alcohol in the streets.”

York, of Lawrence, saw several other people drinking in the street, so he didn’t understand why he was being singled out.

“Without telling me what it was about, (the trooper) just grabbed ahold of the bottle, grabbed dead hold of it, and I didn’t let go,” York said.

Officers weren’t allowing people to carry bottles or cans on Mass. Street that night, only plastic cups. Lt. Mathew Heffley told York he had to get rid of the bottle or leave the area, said Capt. Dek Kruger, KHP troop commander.

“He decided that he didn’t want either one of those options, so that left no options for us. We had to take some sort of action,” Kruger said. “We would’ve been satisfied just removing the bottle.”

Another trooper approached York from behind and took him to the ground, with the help of a Lawrence police officer, Kruger said.

Heffley stunned York with his Taser twice, once in the leg and again in the back, Kruger said.

“He was tased, and he was tased because he was resisting arrest,” Kruger said. “When he was placed on the ground, he was instructed to place his hands behind his back and he was not cooperating. He in fact was physically resisting the arrest.”

Kruger said Heffley used the Taser because it was a “lesser force” than open hand strikes or blows from a baton.

York calls it a “breakdown of communication.”

He said it makes sense officers didn’t want bottles in the crowd, but he said that was never explained to him until after he was stunned.

“I just didn’t know,” York said. “I thought it was about the alcohol.”

York was arrested for disorderly conduct and booked into Douglas County Jail, where he was held for less than two hours before posting a $100 bond. Charges haven’t been filed against him.

More departments are assigning officers Tasers, which stun a suspect so they can be subdued. Lawrence police were recently issued Tasers in a pilot program.
Click on the link for some interesting comments.

PT111

imported post

I will admit that it was not handled the best but the officer said gime tme the bottle andMr.Yorksaid "No".Secondmistake right there. First mistake was getting into a mass of celebrating fans. :p Mr. York assumed that he was being singled out for discrimination and we all knowwhat assuming does.:celebrate

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, Mr. York, if an officer directs you to put down the bottle, instead of saying, "No" why not say, "Ok officer, but I am confused as I see other people drinking down here. Did I misunderstand? Is alcohol not allowed?"

Then the officer can say, "It's not the alcohol, it's the bottle. We are not allowing cans or bottles down here tonight. Sorry, but you have to give up the bottle."

It could have been really easy and no big deal.

While I don't agree with the amount of force used or the confrontational attitude of the officer (assuming that was the case), York handled himself badly.

DrewGunner

imported post

Officers weren’t allowing people to carry bottles or cans on Mass. Street that night, only plastic cups.

So maybe I'm not reading this correctly...

On the night of April 15th citizen were not allow to carry bottles or cans...?

PT111

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
Officers weren’t allowing people to carry bottles or cans on Mass. Street that night, only plastic cups.

So maybe I'm not reading this correctly...

On the night of April 15th citizen were not allow to carry bottles or cans...?
That is the way I read it and can see why. I know it sounds bad but other than banning drinking totally I think it is a good idea. I know that many events prohibit bottles and I would like for them to either ban chewing gum or charge a $5 deposit on every piece until you prove that you threw it away properly. At least dog poop will wash off your shoes.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Still have to give the LEO the benefit of the doubt here. York handled himself badly. LEOs, other citizens and lots of private property are in a potentially very dangerous situation if someone starts problems and LEOs don't take care of it IMMEDIATELY. It's called a riot. Very messy, very expensive. On the other hand, a too strong armed response they end up with a riot. Bad, horrible situation for LE I would think.

As I said above, all York had to do was indicate his willingness to comply and ask for clarification as to why he was apparently being singled out. Would have been no big deal. I'm guessing LE didn't have time to screw around with his non-compliance when he said "‘No,’ thinking that he (LEO) wanted to prevent alcohol in the streets," and pulled away from the officer, so they just dropped his butt. And so what if they were preventing alcohol in the streets. I have been many places where alcohol in the street is an infraction.

This did not happen in a vacuum and anyone who has ever seen sport victory/defeat riots knows that.

expvideo

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
(Link)

More departments are assigning officers Tasers, which stun a suspect so they can be subdued. Lawrence police were recently issued Tasers in a pilot program.
No! They are an alternative to lethal force, not for forcing compliance and subduing suspects! Taser abuse is a serious problem, and it needs to be taken seriously. Police are not supposed to be using a taser against "non-compliance". They are supposed to be using tasers in situations where lethal force is acceptable, but not necessary. They are a life saving tool, not an arrest assisting tool.

Thundar

imported post

Am I missing something? Is there a law against carrying a glass bottle in Kansas?

To sum it up: The victim tried to retain his legal property. We didn't like that so we used him as a tackling dummy. The victim didn't likebeing a tackling dummy. At this point we had a choice, beat him senseless with our batons or tase him. After all our need to ensure that our authority is not questioned (even when we have no authority) is more important than citizens rights. We chose to tase him because that is the easiest way to gain compliance.

Sports celebrations can go bad. Look atwhat just happened in Montreal after the Canadiens victory. 14 Montreal squad cars destroyed. Police attempts to be paramilitary types at celebrations can go bad as well. Ask the Boston Police about the girl they accidentally killed firing tear gas after the Red Sox playoff win over the NY Yankees in 2004. Very tragic.

MetalChris

imported post

Did you guys go to the link I posted? I browsed that forum for about 10 minutes before the nausea got too overpowering. The attitude of the PIGS over there is nothing short of disgusting.

*Edit* This is the link I'm talking about. Oh right, and the "PIGS" comment isn't directed at all LE, only the jackasses who think they're hotpoo just because they have a badge and gun. *Edit*

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Is there a statute that prohibits bottles in the streets? Since when can police make rules on the spot and arrest citizens for non-compliance?

Tomahawk

imported post

asforme wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Is there a statute that prohibits bottles in the streets? Since when can police make rules on the spot and arrest citizens for non-compliance?
It's like the drinking card game A$$hole, where the guy with the taser makes up new rules.

marine dad

imported post

expvideo wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
(Link)

No! They are an alternative to lethal force, not for forcing compliance and subduing suspects! Taser abuse is a serious problem, and it needs to be taken seriously. Police are not supposed to be using a taser against "non-compliance". They are supposed to be using tasers in situations where lethal force is acceptable, but not necessary. They are a life saving tool, not an arrest assisting tool.
+++1111111111111111111111111

stevewonderful

imported post

expvideo wrote:

To sum it up: The victim tried to retain his legal property. We didn't like that so we used him as a tackling dummy. The victim didn't like being a tackling dummy. At this point we had a choice, beat him senseless with our batons or tase him. After all our need to ensure that our authority is not questioned (even when we have no authority) is more important than citizens rights. We chose to tase him because that is the easiest way to gain compliance.

Expvideo & Thundar have expressed my sentiments exactly.

to quote another: I am shocked and appalled at the blatant cop bashing found in this thread. You all know that police officers can do no wrong. They are the shining examples of authoritarian figures we should all strive to be like. Hell, we should GLADLY lay down any and all rights we may have so they are able to "make it home safely"

& Sometimes, a few of you folks seem to forget that the police officers JOB is to generate revenue (the armed tax collector) for whatever municipality he works for. Therefore, ANY encounter will be an attempt, by the police, to find SOMETHING to charge you with. Why give them the chance unnecessarily..

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
asforme wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
It's like the drinking card game A$$hole, where the guy with the taser makes up new rules.
If there was no ordinance against it and just something they made up on the fly then that is a different situation. I was approaching this from the point of view that like in most places I have lived, they have special ordinances in place for certain types of gatherings/public activities.