• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to store my firearm???

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Well If I attend ODU this fall I will need to store my pistol somewhere so I can go to the range a lot. I called the ODU police department and they do NOT offer a program where I can check in an unloaded firearm in a case with them. That is a big disappointment because now I will need to find somewhere off campus to store my firearm. I called Bob's gun shop as I would most likely be shooting there a lot. The guy at the range told me the whole time he has worked there he has never seen an open gun locker! He said when people get them they keep them for life! Well so I'm screwed on that idea. Where could I store my firearm. I was pretty pissed that the police department doesn't allow people to check in firearms there.:cuss:

dixiehacker

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is a problem that a lot of college students face. It's not just with firearms, but also paintball guns, swords, and all sorts of stuff. My best sugestions would be to keep it at home to start out, then make friends down there. Hopefully one of your friends will have a house or apartment down there, and might let you store it there.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

If I live off campus for sure I will have it with me and maybe even a 12ga. But if I'm on campus I guess I will have to make friends with people off campus first and keep them both in a pelican case that is locked. We will see what happens I still have yet to hear from VT, which is my #1 choice. I believe that down there I can store my firearms at the police dept. We will see what happens with housing and then I can go from there i guess. I wonder if storage places have small lockers that are really cheap? We will see i guess:banghead:

ODA 226

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Well If I attend ODU this fall I will need to store my pistol somewhere so I can go to the range a lot. I called the ODU police department and they do NOT offer a program where I can check in an unloaded firearm in a case with them. That is a big disappointment because now I will need to find somewhere off campus to store my firearm. I called Bob's gun shop as I would most likely be shooting there a lot. The guy at the range told me the whole time he has worked there he has never seen an open gun locker! He said when people get them they keep them for life! Well so I'm screwed on that idea. Where could I store my firearm. I was pretty pissed that the police department doesn't allow people to check in firearms there.:cuss:
See my PM to you.

tapper95

imported post

http://studentaffairs.odu.edu/housing/PDF/ProhibitedItems.pdf

Not only do they prohibit lofts and bed platforms for fire reasons... you can't even have dangerous chemicals...

Believe it or not, I had a full size Tag Team Wrestling arcadegame in my room my sophmore year... You should have seen me and 3 of my Fraternity Brothers hauling that thing up the stairs to the 3rd floor of Roger's Hall... It fit into the closet... I also had a love seat in my room... Yeah, I had my own room that year....

I went looking on ODU's website for info on their Police Dept and couldn't find anything except stories about how one officer takes time out to visit with neighborhood kids and another story about how the Department is the only one of it's kind in the state... something about them being a real department...

Funny thing is, on the interactive campus map, the building that was the safety center (corner of 49th and Hampton) is now called the Alumni Center, and there is no safety center on the map... Unless tehy've moved into a building in one of the garages... I know the parking office did that back in the 90's when they were building all the garages...

vt357

imported post

Get a safety deposit box at a bank either near campus or the range you plan on using. It's not the most convenient but you won't risk getting expelled. Next year get an off campus apartment.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

tapper95 wrote:
http://studentaffairs.odu.edu/housing/PDF/ProhibitedItems.pdf

Not only do they prohibit lofts and bed platforms for fire reasons... you can't even have dangerous chemicals...

Believe it or not, I had a full size Tag Team Wrestling arcadegame in my room my sophmore year... You should have seen me and 3 of my Fraternity Brothers hauling that thing up the stairs to the 3rd floor of Roger's Hall... It fit into the closet... I also had a love seat in my room... Yeah, I had my own room that year....

I went looking on ODU's website for info on their Police Dept and couldn't find anything except stories about how one officer takes time out to visit with neighborhood kids and another story about how the Department is the only one of it's kind in the state... something about them being a real department...

Funny thing is, on the interactive campus map, the building that was the safety center (corner of 49th and Hampton) is now called the Alumni Center, and there is no safety center on the map... Unless tehy've moved into a building in one of the garages... I know the parking office did that back in the 90's when they were building all the garages...
No lofts! That is going to be a change:banghead:That clears up a lot of space for sure in a dorm room.

nova

imported post

I have the same issue at my school (GMU). I'm just finishing my first year here, living in an on-campus dorm. Next semester I'm just going to commute. First, because GMU doesn't allow ANY guns from students (at least Virginia Tech has lockers you can store them in at their police station). Besides that I'm just tired of the "dorm" life and would rather just deal with the horrible commute and parking situation.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Yea I have been at MSU all year and it has been tough not having my truck and all. Next year I will be going to either VT or ODU. GMU is just too close to home for me:lol:plus they do not offer Mechanical Engineering.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I had a similar problem when I was in the Marines. My solution, an indoor storage unit with 24 hour access.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vt357 wrote:
Get a safety deposit box at a bank either near campus or the range you plan on using. It's not the most convenient but you won't risk getting expelled. Next year get an off campus apartment.
So spoiled here in NV. A Safety Deposit Box Vault company opened JUST before Patriot Act took effect, and boxes are handed out with no ID, no SSN, no signature, cash only. The owner advertises and brags about the fact that no LE agency ever "broke in" with a warrant.

I dream about storing a few backup guns there just in case the SHTF and govt comes around to confiscate. Of course, that's probably silly, because if SHTF and martial law is in effect, to hell with search warrants anyway.

And to OP, being killed is worse than being expelled. Keep one close at all times! But don't be obvious about it or even talk about it to anyone. Deep conceal sucks sometimes but suck it up. Good luck to any college who expels the guy who helps stop the next VT. Legal or not, I bet most of your classmates are armed.

tapper95

imported post

If you go the Safe Deposit Box route, check VCDL.orghttp://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html for a list of gun-owner unfriendly banks... Supposedly they don't look over your shoulder when you're going into your box, but why give your money to a business that wants to outlaw all Baretta 92f's?

Image81.jpg

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

timf343 wrote:
vt357 wrote: And to OP, being killed is worse than being expelled. Keep one close at all times! But don't be obvious about it or even talk about it to anyone. Deep conceal sucks sometimes but suck it up. Good luck to any college who expels the guy who helps stop the next VT. Legal or not, I bet most of your classmates are armed.
Highly doubtful. Only about 2-3% of the general population CC. Even tripling or quadrupling that to cover OC and illegal CC it is less than 12%. Of those (based on estimates by extrapolating from available data) less than 25% are college age, and probably much less than 25%. But let's figure high again and just call it 25%. Now, that means that at most 1/4 of 12% or about 3% MAX of classmates are likely to be armed.

I think realistically that only about 5% of the population in permissive carry/licensure state carry a firearm in any manner. I'd think that the 18-24 year old "college age" group probably makes up less than 10% of that demographic. So maybe .5% of 18-24 year olds carry. Assuming that all of them go to college, what percentage is going to risk the consequences of carrying on campus. Certainly a low percentage, say 20% or less? That puts us at .1% of the students armed. Out of ODU's 20,800 students that means somewhere between 20 and 110 students campus wide carry a firearm, legal or not. Not most by far.

(Ok so that is long for no real purpose but it was a good intellectual distraction/break for me at the office.)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

There is no way in hell I am going to carry a firearm illegally concealed for one and secondly against campus regulations. There is no reason for it because getting caught just isn't worth it. Yes the system sucks right now, but I'm a law abiding citizen, so I will just have to wait until I am allowed to CC legally and also for campuses to allow CC on campus.
The only thing I carry is a small kershaw pocket knife(under 3" blade as per college and high school regulation).

C45P312

imported post

I go to ODU and keep all my weapons in my buddies safe. Also, if you're interested, I can get you locker for storage on Camp Allen. But in both cases you'll need me to get your firearm. Nonetheless, it's an alternative. I keep records of all firearms (as should everyone else) that's in my possesion and like I tell my other friends that leave thier weapons with me, I'll be running the gun to make sure it wasn't used in a crime. There's no way I'll be storing a firearm if it's been used in a crime if the owner knowingly knows it or not lol

-Carlo

Just looking out for myself and other firearms

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
There is no way in hell I am going to carry a firearm illegally concealed for one and secondly against campus regulations. There is no reason for it because getting caught just isn't worth it. Yes the system sucks right now, but I'm a law abiding citizen, so I will just have to wait until I am allowed to CC legally and also for campuses to allow CC on campus.
The only thing I carry is a small kershaw pocket knife(under 3" blade as per college and high school regulation).
Right now while I'm on campus I carry a 3-1/4" Buck knife, but after this semester I'm going to upgrade to a bigger blade since I won't be limited to 4" due to the dorm rules. I'll be commuting next year so I'll only need to worry about Virginia's knife laws (anyone care to fill me in there? :lol: )

D

Desertdoc

imported post

I dont know what idiot you talked to at Bobs but they didnt know what they are talking about. Call back ask for Steve or TJ. I know for a fact that they will store your firearm. When i thought i was going to be moving to spain this topic came up. TJ is the one that told me they do store firearms for a monthy fee. Hope this helps.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I will look further into it if I do in fact attend ODU in the fall. I will probably go over to Bob's in person when I go down there the first time and I will try to set something up with them. You guys have been a great help!