• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passengers and CCW Driver Question

bradco

imported post

Is this the ruling in CT as Well, I got this from an insert from Arizona regarding passengers in a vehicle with a Driver that has valid CCW and is carrying concealed.

"Having a CCW permit and wearing a gun in a vehicle puts your non-CCW permit passengers at risk for being arrested for carrying concealed without a permit."

buketdude

imported post

bradco wrote:
Is this the ruling in CT as Well, I got this from an insert from Arizona regarding passengers in a vehicle with a Driver that has valid CCW and is carrying concealed.

"Having a CCW permit and wearing a gun in a vehicle puts your non-CCW permit passengers at risk for being arrested for carrying concealed without a permit."
I don't think so....i have driven with my gun out openly with passengers or even with it in my glovebox...plus concealed...plus CT does not issue a concealed carry permit and makes no mention of it in the general statutes......its just a "permit to carry"...so unless you gave them your gun and they were carrying it....but then again...i know the law says something about being "loaned the gun outside of the presense of the owner"........

bradco

imported post

No I would never even let anyone touch my Gun outside of the range, and it is always on my person concealed as even though the permit says to carry from what I have read and heard if it causes anyone alarm I can risk my permit so that is a no no

buketdude

imported post

bradco wrote:
No I would never even let anyone touch my Gun outside of the range, and it is always on my person concealed as even though the permit says to carry from what I have read and heard if it causes anyone alarm I can risk my permit so that is a no no
I would never let anyone touch my gun outside of the range or private property either (in the state of CT)..unless they had a permit....i think the whole open carry thing should be settled soon...the legality issue....some people do it..mostly in the rural corners of the state.....

buketdude

imported post

back to the point though..i have been pulled over while being a passenger in a vehicle and the cop asked if there were any weapons or drugs in the vehicle...i told him i had a permit and was carrying a handgun....he looked at the permit (did not run it)...gave it back..

bradco

imported post

Yes they tend to ask that question, you got a Cop that is okay with our rights which is good.If ever I am pulled over and have to answer that question I hope I am treated with the same respect when I answer.

bradco

imported post

Just checked MTA site and found this,

1097.11 Firearms or other weapons

No person, except for those licensed to do so and in immediate possession of such license, shall bring into or carry in a terminal, station or train firearms or other weapons.

Sorry put in wrong question, please disregard

Decoligny

imported post

bradco wrote:

I think it would depend on exactly where in the vehicle the gun was concealed. Let's say you stuck it under the driver's seat, and it slid back to the rear section within reach of the rear passenger, who doesn't have a CCW. The passenger behind the driver wouldbe in constructive possession of the concealed firearm. Let's take that one step further. If the gun is in the glove compartment, it is most easilyreached by the front seat passenger. It could be argued that it is in constructive possession because the passenger could open the glove compartment and use the gun.

If AZ has put out a warning, then it would be in the best interest of AZ CCW holders to maintain absolute physical control of their gun while in the car with passengers.

constructive possession n. when a person does not have actual possession, but has the power to control an asset, he/she has constructive possession. Having the key to a safe deposit box, for example, gives one constructive possession.