• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Freaked out the greeter at Wal-mart

swillden

imported post

Pretty much a non-event, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I went to Wal-mart this morning (in Riverdale) to check the lost and found. My daughter bought my wife a b-day present there last night, then left it in the shopping cart in the parking lot. I didn't think it was likely that I'd find it, but worth a shot.

I was OCing my XD9SC and as I walked past the greeter, after we'd exchanged "good morning"s I hear her say in a quiet voice "I hope you have a permit for that." At least I think that's what she said. I just smiled back at her and continued on to the customer service desk. They didn't bat an eye and checked their records to see if anyone had turned in my daughter's lost merchandise. No luck.

On my way back toward the door I had entered, I noticed that the greeter wasn't in her normal place near the shopping carts, but instead had come into the store where she could look down the aisle in front of the registers, where customer service is. As I walked up to her, she said "I hope you're a police officer".

I smiled and said "No, I'm not".

"Is that really allowed, then?", she said, pointing to my gun.

"Absolutely. Perfectly legal in the state of Utah."

"I mean, because, uh, I could get fired or something." She was clearly nervous. I don't think she was scared of me, more that she'd get in trouble.

"Right, I happen to know that Wal-mart policy is that employees can't carry weapons. For customers, though, company policy is to follow state law, and in Utah it's perfectly legal."

"Uh, okay. Because... scary", and she gave a little shudder. Maybe she was scared of me.

"Don't worry, it's not a problem at all", and I walked away.

In hindsight, I should have stuck around to chat. I wasn't in a hurry, and there were no other customers coming through for her to deal with. I should have asked her what was scary and taken the opportunity to point out that there's no reason to be afraid of people openly carrying, because people with bad intentions hide their guns.

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swillden wrote:
In hindsight, I should have stuck around to chat. I wasn't in a hurry, and there were no other customers coming through for her to deal with. I should have asked her what was scary and taken the opportunity to point out that there's no reason to be afraid of people openly carrying, because people with bad intentions hide their guns.
:shock:I beg your pardon? I carry my handgun concealedand I guarantee you I do not have bad intentions regarding its use.

:D

Decoligny

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
swillden wrote:
:shock:I beg your pardon? I carry my handgun concealedand I guarantee you I do not have bad intentions regarding its use.

:D
He didn't say people who hide their guns have bad intentions.

swillden

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
swillden wrote:
Suuurrrrrre you don't.

Converse

:p