• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lightning and OC

danbus

imported post

It's been raining here in Hampton Roads from time to time and I was wondering what the effects of a lighting strike would do to an OC (or CC) firearm.

Would the heat from the lighting be enough to cause an accidental discharge?

Liko81

Founder's Club Member
imported post

danbus wrote:
It's been raining here in Hampton Roads from time to time and I was wondering what the effects of a lighting strike would do to an OC (or CC) firearm.

:shock::uhoh:Um, I think if you were struck by lightning, your gun going off is the least of your worries.

To answer the question, yes, the discharge current going through your gun can arc through a cartridge and set off the primer or the powder. However, your head is your tallest part, and once it gets to your body, unless your gun is touching bare skin or soaking wet clothing, your body is the path of least resistance. Your gun is a side trip, and as such will see substantially less current than you will.

Decoligny

imported post

danbus wrote:

Temperature of Surface of Sun =~ 9,900 degrees F
Temperature of Lightning = ~ 54,000 degrees F

Lightning is more than 5 times hotter than the surface of the sun.

I think the heat from the lightning would be enough to effectively melt the entire firearm, not to mention what the electricity going through your body would do. And if it is on your side when hit by lightning, I think an accidental discharge would be the least of your worries.

I know that when lightning hit the ground about 15 feet from my moving car, I almost had an accidental discharge (bladder).:shock:

FogRider

imported post

Decoligny wrote:
I know that when lightning hit the ground about 15 feet from my moving car, I almost had an accidental discharge (bladder).:shock:
Last year in Colorado lightning actually hit a moving motorcycle. Blew a good sized chunk out of the concrete too.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'll second that notion that your gun AD'ing is the least of your worries. If more than one round goes off at the same time, the BATFE might go after you for "illegal transfer of a machine gun" and send you off to federal prison for a few years.

:?

Now, I wonder what the effect of a gun is in conducting the lightning strike. That is, will a 4.5lb chunk of metal make me a target that I otherwise would not be? Ya know, like golf shoes supposedly do? Hah, maybe that's what all the anti-OC people mean when they talk about OC's making people targets...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
I'll second that notion that your gun AD'ing is the least of your worries. If more than one round goes off at the same time, the BATFE might go after you for "illegal transfer of a machine gun" and send you off to federal prison for a few years.

:?

Now, I wonder what the effect of a gun is in conducting the lightning strike. That is, will a 4.5lb chunk of metal make me a target that I otherwise would not be? Ya know, like golf shoes supposedly do? Hah, maybe that's what all the anti-OC people mean when they talk about OC's making people targets...

Golf shoes don't make that much of a difference.Being the tallest thingin an open field is the problem. :D

Anyway I gotta nominate the originalpostfor one of the most random questions ever asked on this forum lol.

ScottyT

imported post

Ask Mythbusters! They have access to a place that can produce lightning, it's really cool. I'll bet they would love to strap a fully loaded gun onto their dummy and zap it a few times!

Euromutt

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Now, I wonder what the effect of a gun is in conducting the lightning strike. That is, will a 4.5lb chunk of metal make me a target that I otherwise would not be?
4.5 lbs? :shock: What in God's name do you carry, a Smith & Wesson X frame?

imperialism2024

imported post

Euromutt wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Now, I wonder what the effect of a gun is in conducting the lightning strike. That is, will a 4.5lb chunk of metal make me a target that I otherwise would not be?
4.5 lbs? :shock: What in God's name do you carry, a Smith & Wesson X frame?
Eh, I guess it's closer to 4 lbs. Ruger Redhawk with 7.5" barrel, plus 6 rounds of .44 magnum, plus a few speedloaders... I'll have to weigh it sometime.

LEO 229

imported post

Liko81 wrote:
:shock::uhoh:Um, I think if you were struck by lightning, your gun going off is the least of your worries.

....snipped
Going to agree.... I would not be too worried about the discharge from the gun but rather the discharge of my life force from the zap!! :lol:

But I recall a study being done and you need a spark and not heat from electricity to get the round to go off.

They did a study on a .22 being used as a fuse in a urban legend show. It failed to explode.

xd.40

imported post

Decoligny wrote:

I know the feeling - last year lightening struck a tree about 15 feet in front of my truck. The coolest scary thing out there!

xd.40

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Liko81 wrote:

....snipped
Going to agree.... I would not be too worried about the discharge from the gun but rather the discharge of my life force from the zap!! :lol:

But I recall a study being done and you need a spark and not heat from electricity to get the round to go off.

They did a study on a .22 being used as a fuse in a urban legend show. It failed to explode.
I do remember seeing this. I wonder though, with the sheer heat, if that would ignite it though. 54,000 (F) degrees is enough to melt just about anything... I guess it would be good to put that on the show...

Brian D.

imported post

Caution: This post contains humorous, slightly off-topic material.

To avoid the lightning strike in the first place, recall the advice given by golfing great Lee Trevino, whohad been the victim of a lightning strike previous to his answer to reporter's question on the subject. He was asked what he would do if he was stuck out on the course with no shelter to run to, with a thunderstorm imminent. He said something to the effect of: "Well, I'd just hold up a 1-iron. Even God can't hit a 1-iron."

So, maybe those should become part of our carry gear in foul weather. :lol:

nova

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I remember seeing that exact thing on Mythbusters. They showed it actually firing each and every time in their white pickup they used. Weird! :?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

In the fall, lightning hit less that a block from my friends and I in a glass bus stop. Yea I jumped pretty darn high!!!! As soon as I saw the flash of light the pulse ran through me. There was no delay from light to sound. That is when it is scary!!!:what: