Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun - Does anyone like AK's?

Post imported post

I just bought an M70 Underfolder (Yugoslavian) and it will be coming in the mail this week. Does anyone else like these? I never had one before, but I figured it was time to add it to the collection. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Post imported post

You may or may not end up liking the stock, the underfolders don't give you a very good cheek position, but it will be an easy fix if you don't. I personally love T6 stocks on AK's.

I don't know if it's your first AK, but if it is, you'll love the unfailing reliability, and the power to weight ratio. They're also very easy to bump.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I carried an M70 during the war in Croatia and also in Iraq. You can't beat the Jugoslav produced AK.

I do, however, prefer the M-16 and its variants over the AK. (And I know this statement will cause a $shitstorm here), but I've carried both in combat and prefer the M-16 family for its light weight accuracy and hit potential. Plus, I can carry twice as many rounds at the same weight.

Just my personal preference.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Even though I don't like them, I will be picking up one later this year due to "bannability"

Fun to shoot, but I have a nack for new guns instead of older ones

Post imported post

When I read the thread title, I thought, "Well, 5 billion people can't be wrong..."

But then I read it. I hate the underfolder stock. But I'm 6'4", so it has a lot to do with that fact. I like my Saiga AK much better (specifically the one in 12-gauge, but I'll take the one in 7.62x39), even though it doesn't look as badass.

Like HS said, though, may as well get one while you still can. Same with those drum mags...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

You'll always be able to get any "assault" rifle you want even if they ARE banned.

If you have one gun, even a .22LR, it can get you another gun (if you get my drift) even a full-auto version if you wish, whether it be from "the authorities" if they become too "oppressive" or, from criminals who are carrying them. Plus, whatever they're driving (for example, an armored Hummer would be nice).

So I don't worry at all about what guns are or might be banned, and I let other people beg/borrow/steal/buy the expensive, "trendy" or Class III guns...then, if they come to my neighborhood for whatever "oppressive" or criminal activity, I can pick out the guy with what I want and just take his (without his permission of course since he would be "unavailable for comment").

Curbside Service...it really doesn't get any better than that, does it?

Live off the enemy, whoever they might be.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    I carried an M70 during the war in Croatia and also in Iraq. You can't beat the Jugoslav produced AK.

I do, however, prefer the M-16 and its variants over the AK. (And I know this statement will cause a $shitstorm here), but I've carried both in combat and prefer the M-16 family for its light weight accuracy and hit potential. Plus, I can carry twice as many rounds at the same weight.

Just my personal preference.
    I like the m-16/m4 family too. I absolutely loved the m-16a1 I used in the National Guard and now have a Bushmaster carbine.

I've have trigger time with the AK and I like those as well and have thought about getting one but I already have 10 guns and I dont figure I need any more. The only thing about the AK I dont really care for is thatlooooong magazine. It seems to get in the way a lot.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    The only thing about the AK I dont really care for is thatlooooong magazine. It seems to get in the way a lot.
    I think you'd probably like the 20 round AK magazines.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I'm a big fan of AKs, especially the Saiga variety. My brother has a Saiga 12 which is spectacular (you guys should see the looks we get when shooting skeet with that thing). I'm looking to pick up a 7.62x39 or 5.56 NATO this summer.

Also, if you feel like being a wannabe gangster and you don't care what people think of you, you can get a Saiga .410, turn it sideways and fire with one hand :P.

Post imported post

this is my first AK. I love my AR (M&P15), but I wanted the other side of the fight represented in my closet. I read about the Yugos and decided that they would be the best AK under 1000, which is why they appeal to me. I can always buy a Sig or an M14, but the allure of the Kalashnikov design is that it is made to be inexpensive and reliable. Based on the literature out there, my M70 will represent that. I now own two of my all time favorite battle rifles. Don't tread on me!:celebrate

Post imported post

Every serious gun owner should have at least one version of the AK design just to be familiar with it. I bought my first AK at a gun show in San Jose, CA - more than 20 years ago. Since they are cheap and available it's a good time to fill this slot if you still lack one.

Post imported post

I simply love mine. There's somthing so raw about shooting an AK. It may not be the most valuable in my collection but I think it's my favorite.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I have the same one, M70AB2. I really like it, and I think its one of the better buys in an AK.

Post imported post

Love my AK with side folding polymer stock. Much more comfortable to me than the metal underfolders.....didn't like the feel of them at all.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Basic Guy wrote:
    Every serious gun owner should have at least one version of the AK design just to be familiar with it. I bought my first AK at a gun show in San Jose, CA - more than 20 years ago. Since they are cheap and available it's a good time to fill this slot if you still lack one.
    +1 and you never know if you might find one in your hands when the SHTF.

Post imported post

I love my AK. I have a Polish underfolder. I've customized it to meet my needs as a HD/SHTF rifle. Someday I'll get an AR15 for the range, but the AK will still be my go to gun for SHTF or HD.

I love excuses to post this picture of my rifle

ETA: A word of advice... That smoke promag that I have in the rifle in the picture is great for the range or for pictures, but make sure to stock up on metal european mags for defense, because the promags aren't reliable enough to be trusting your life to. Also, I liked the look of the UTG forward vertical grip, but once I put it on the rifle I realized that it is very wide. I'll be replacing it soon with something thinner. Other than that, I highly recommend the rest of the accessories. I don't think any of them will work on the Yugo, though .

Post imported post

That's a nice looking rifle. I am trying to keep my AK as original as possible (within the confines of the law). If I buy a cheaper Romanian, then maybe I'll add rails and decorations.

Post imported post

I do not like them.... Give my an M4 or HK!!!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    You gonna go varmint hunting with that .22?

JK, I've shot an AR-15, it's a real nice platform, with tons and tons of options, but the reliability and power behind the projectile isn't there. Now a AR chambered in .308....that, I'd take, if the price was right......but the price/performance ratio of an AR is MUCH lower than an AK in my book.

Post imported post

I don't like my AK, I LOVE IT!!!!! Brutally accurate out to 100 yds (thats the furthest I've been able to shoot with it so far) and uber-reliable!!! I didn't get one of those fancy-shmancy Yugos :P, I have a Rommy WASR-10/63. Totally awesome rifle IMHO. I do have the AR on my aquisition list, but it's near the bottom.

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    . Now a AR chambered in .308....that, I'd take, if the price was right......but the price/performance ratio of an AR is MUCH lower than an AK in my book.
    I do have to hand it to AR10's, they have almost no recoil. And the ease of barrel swaps is nice. So is the accuracy. But the reliability isn't what I'd want.

But I do have to disagree about the performce to cost ratio. You can build a good AR for 650 bucks, or buy a decent AK for about 400. With current ammo prices, it's not a very big difference. For performance, both have their upsides, AR's have long range accuracy, extremely light recoil, and fast mag changes. AK's are utterbly reliable, idiot proof guns, which you'd really have to get creative to jam. Plus they fire a heavier bullet, which in some cases will be more effective. With all the specialty ammo available for both guns, I think it's really just a matter of personal preference, not which is superior.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

I absolutely love M4s and I think that it is the most comfortable rifle platform ever designed. I wouldn't consider it for combat though. However, if I was in your line of work, I would consider an M4 a great patrol rifle. Don't get me wrong, the rifle has it's place. It's place is on a police patrol where you will be going back to the station to clean and maintain it, and you will not run out of maintenance supplies. However, for a SHTF situation where I'm limited to what I can carry, I probably won't be able to bring enough supplies to keep that rifle up and running under heavy use for very long. That is why the AK is my rifle of choice.

An AR is the perfect rifle for an active shooter situation, or any situation where you will be firing less than 300 rounds before cleaning it. But if I have to live for a year in a collapsed infrastructure fighting off gangs and opportunists (SHTF situation), and have no/limited access to a cleaning kit, I want to have something that can reliably fire 3000 rounds or more without cleaning.

So yes, the AR is a superior rifle for short engagements that involve little actual shooting and give ample time for cleaning. But for those of us that don't have a station to go back to, the AK seems like a more realistic choice.

Edit: spelling

Post imported post

I just got my first AK about a month ago. Rommy SAR-1, with 2 #30 rounders and 2 #10 round mags. Bought some ammo at the gun show in Va Bch this weekend, 500 rds of wolf.

I haven't shot it yet......the wood was WAY too ugly....had to do something about that! Just re-finished it, and it looks just great! Wish I had a pic here at work to post.

Got a guy here who is a retired Army armory type....showed him my "pretty AK"..........and he rolled his eyes!!! WTF?

He told me these things are SUPPOSED to be UGLY!

Oh, well. Guess I'll have to get me an AR-10 in plain black to atone for my sin..............

Enjoy your's, and get yourself a "Mag LULA" if you don't already have one. Save the thumbs.

Post imported post

I had a SAR-1, but sold it because of the trigger slap (didn't know back then I could get a new trigger assembly...)

Anyhoo, I did like mine w/ the exception of the trigger slap of course.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    any particular reason, or just personal?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast