• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun - Does anyone like AK's?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I just bought an M70 Underfolder (Yugoslavian) and it will be coming in the mail this week. Does anyone else like these? I never had one before, but I figured it was time to add it to the collection. Anyone have any experience with this model?

Michigander

imported post

You may or may not end up liking the stock, the underfolders don't give you a very good cheek position, but it will be an easy fix if you don't. I personally love T6 stocks on AK's.

I don't know if it's your first AK, but if it is, you'll love the unfailing reliability, and the power to weight ratio. They're also very easy to bump.:cool:

ODA 226

imported post

I carried an M70 during the war in Croatia and also in Iraq. You can't beat the Jugoslav produced AK.

I do, however, prefer the M-16 and its variants over the AK. (And I know this statement will cause a $shitstorm here), but I've carried both in combat and prefer the M-16 family for its light weight accuracy and hit potential. Plus, I can carry twice as many rounds at the same weight.

Just my personal preference.

hsmith

imported post

Even though I don't like them, I will be picking up one later this year due to "bannability"

Fun to shoot, but I have a nack for new guns instead of older ones

imperialism2024

imported post

When I read the thread title, I thought, "Well, 5 billion people can't be wrong..."

But then I read it. I hate the underfolder stock. But I'm 6'4", so it has a lot to do with that fact. I like my Saiga AK much better (specifically the one in 12-gauge, but I'll take the one in 7.62x39), even though it doesn't look as badass.

Like HS said, though, may as well get one while you still can. Same with those drum mags... :cool:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

You'll always be able to get any "assault" rifle you want even if they ARE banned.

If you have one gun, even a .22LR, it can get you another gun (if you get my drift) even a full-auto version if you wish, whether it be from "the authorities" if they become too "oppressive" or, from criminals who are carrying them. Plus, whatever they're driving (for example, an armored Hummer would be nice).

So I don't worry at all about what guns are or might be banned, and I let other people beg/borrow/steal/buy the expensive, "trendy" or Class III guns...then, if they come to my neighborhood for whatever "oppressive" or criminal activity, I can pick out the guy with what I want and just take his (without his permission of course since he would be "unavailable for comment").

Curbside Service...it really doesn't get any better than that, does it?

Live off the enemy, whoever they might be.

-- John D.

Huck

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
I carried an M70 during the war in Croatia and also in Iraq. You can't beat the Jugoslav produced AK.

I do, however, prefer the M-16 and its variants over the AK. (And I know this statement will cause a $shitstorm here), but I've carried both in combat and prefer the M-16 family for its light weight accuracy and hit potential. Plus, I can carry twice as many rounds at the same weight.

Just my personal preference.

I like the m-16/m4 family too. I absolutely loved the m-16a1 I used in the National Guard and now have a Bushmaster carbine.

I've have trigger time with the AK and I like those as well and have thought about getting one but I already have 10 guns and I dont figure I need any more. The only thing about the AK I dont really care for is thatlooooong magazine. It seems to get in the way a lot.

glockrocker

imported post

I'm a big fan of AKs, especially the Saiga variety. My brother has a Saiga 12 which is spectacular (you guys should see the looks we get when shooting skeet with that thing). I'm looking to pick up a 7.62x39 or 5.56 NATO this summer.

Also, if you feel like being a wannabe gangster and you don't care what people think of you, you can get a Saiga .410, turn it sideways and fire with one hand :p.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

this is my first AK. I love my AR (M&P15), but I wanted the other side of the fight represented in my closet. I read about the Yugos and decided that they would be the best AK under 1000, which is why they appeal to me. I can always buy a Sig or an M14, but the allure of the Kalashnikov design is that it is made to be inexpensive and reliable. Based on the literature out there, my M70 will represent that. I now own two of my all time favorite battle rifles. Don't tread on me!:celebrate

Basic Guy

imported post

Every serious gun owner should have at least one version of the AK design just to be familiar with it. I bought my first AK at a gun show in San Jose, CA - more than 20 years ago. Since they are cheap and available it's a good time to fill this slot if you still lack one.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have the same one, M70AB2. I really like it, and I think its one of the better buys in an AK.

attachment.php

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Basic Guy wrote:
Every serious gun owner should have at least one version of the AK design just to be familiar with it. I bought my first AK at a gun show in San Jose, CA - more than 20 years ago. Since they are cheap and available it's a good time to fill this slot if you still lack one.
+1 and you never know if you might find one in your hands when the SHTF.

expvideo

imported post

I love my AK. I have a Polish underfolder. I've customized it to meet my needs as a HD/SHTF rifle. Someday I'll get an AR15 for the range, but the AK will still be my go to gun for SHTF or HD.

HPIM0723.jpg

I love excuses to post this picture of my rifle :cool:

ETA: A word of advice... That smoke promag that I have in the rifle in the picture is great for the range or for pictures, but make sure to stock up on metal european mags for defense, because the promags aren't reliable enough to be trusting your life to. Also, I liked the look of the UTG forward vertical grip, but once I put it on the rifle I realized that it is very wide. I'll be replacing it soon with something thinner. Other than that, I highly recommend the rest of the accessories. I don't think any of them will work on the Yugo, though :(.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

That's a nice looking rifle. I am trying to keep my AK as original as possible (within the confines of the law). If I buy a cheaper Romanian, then maybe I'll add rails and decorations.

compmanio365

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I do not like them.... Give my an M4 or HK!!!

You gonna go varmint hunting with that .22? :lol:

JK, I've shot an AR-15, it's a real nice platform, with tons and tons of options, but the reliability and power behind the projectile isn't there. Now a AR chambered in .308....that, I'd take, if the price was right......but the price/performance ratio of an AR is MUCH lower than an AK in my book.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I don't like my AK, I LOVE IT!!!!! Brutally accurate out to 100 yds (thats the furthest I've been able to shoot with it so far) and uber-reliable!!! I didn't get one of those fancy-shmancy Yugos :p, I have a Rommy WASR-10/63. Totally awesome rifle IMHO. I do have the AR on my aquisition list, but it's near the bottom.