• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun - Does anyone like AK's?

Michigander

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
. Now a AR chambered in .308....that, I'd take, if the price was right......but the price/performance ratio of an AR is MUCH lower than an AK in my book.

I do have to hand it to AR10's, they have almost no recoil. And the ease of barrel swaps is nice. So is the accuracy. But the reliability isn't what I'd want.

But I do have to disagree about the performce to cost ratio. You can build a good AR for 650 bucks, or buy a decent AK for about 400. With current ammo prices, it's not a very big difference. For performance, both have their upsides, AR's have long range accuracy, extremely light recoil, and fast mag changes. AK's are utterbly reliable, idiot proof guns, which you'd really have to get creative to jam. Plus they fire a heavier bullet, which in some cases will be more effective. With all the specialty ammo available for both guns, I think it's really just a matter of personal preference, not which is superior.

expvideo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I do not like them.... Give my an M4 or HK!!!

I absolutely love M4s and I think that it is the most comfortable rifle platform ever designed. I wouldn't consider it for combat though. However, if I was in your line of work, I would consider an M4 a great patrol rifle. Don't get me wrong, the rifle has it's place. It's place is on a police patrol where you will be going back to the station to clean and maintain it, and you will not run out of maintenance supplies. However, for a SHTF situation where I'm limited to what I can carry, I probably won't be able to bring enough supplies to keep that rifle up and running under heavy use for very long. That is why the AK is my rifle of choice.

An AR is the perfect rifle for an active shooter situation, or any situation where you will be firing less than 300 rounds before cleaning it. But if I have to live for a year in a collapsed infrastructure fighting off gangs and opportunists (SHTF situation), and have no/limited access to a cleaning kit, I want to have something that can reliably fire 3000 rounds or more without cleaning.

So yes, the AR is a superior rifle for short engagements that involve little actual shooting and give ample time for cleaning. But for those of us that don't have a station to go back to, the AK seems like a more realistic choice.

Edit: spelling

OBXMIKE

imported post

I just got my first AK about a month ago. Rommy SAR-1, with 2 #30 rounders and 2 #10 round mags. Bought some ammo at the gun show in Va Bch this weekend, 500 rds of wolf.

I haven't shot it yet......the wood was WAY too ugly....had to do something about that! Just re-finished it, and it looks just great! Wish I had a pic here at work to post.

Got a guy here who is a retired Army armory type....showed him my "pretty AK"..........and he rolled his eyes!!! WTF?

He told me these things are SUPPOSED to be UGLY! :banghead:

Oh, well. Guess I'll have to get me an AR-10 in plain black to atone for my sin..............

Enjoy your's, and get yourself a "Mag LULA" if you don't already have one. Save the thumbs.

MetalChris

imported post

I had a SAR-1, but sold it because of the trigger slap (didn't know back then I could get a new trigger assembly...) :cuss:

Anyhoo, I did like mine w/ the exception of the trigger slap of course.

LEO 229

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
I do not like them.... Give my an M4 or HK!!!

any particular reason, or just personal?
Do not like how they look. ;)

Plus.... it was the preferred weapon of my enemy when I served in the military. :uhoh:

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Michigander wrote:
You may or may not end up liking the stock, the underfolders don't give you a very good cheek position, but it will be an easy fix if you don't. I personally love T6 stocks on AK's.

I don't know if it's your first AK, but if it is, you'll love the unfailing reliability, and the power to weight ratio. They're also very easy to bump.:cool:
I can get off 10 to 15 rounds at a time with my Romanian SAR 1 with occasional longer bursts if I use my drum magazine, but my M4gery is the bump king. I can empty an entire 30-round mag in about 3-4 seconds.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I picked up my M70 yesterday! I am very excitedabout this firearm. It has a great fit and finish (as compared to many of the descriptions I've read on the appropriate forums. It is much better than the one I held when I compared the Romanian and M70 at the store. My biggest issue right now is finding the right hand wood guards for a Yugoslavian (very different from the Romanians that are a dime a dozen). Range report coming this week...

ScottyT

imported post

I shot my first AK this last weekend and I loved it! It was my buddy's M70 (the fixed stock model). I put 20 rounds downrange and had a great time doing so. I did about 7 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger and was surprised at how well I was able to control it.

I hope I can afford one before AWB rears its ugly head again!

Michigander

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Best to think a tad more positively than that. We have a SCOTUS case which will probably be a victory for our side. As of right now, the very best thing you could do is buy as much 5.45x39 ammo as you can afford, then get an AK74 when you can. It's really the only good deal left in milsurp rifle ammo. It's a capable little cartridge in a capable little rifle, but milsurp deals never last long.

compmanio365

imported post

Better to get 7.62 than 5.45 in my opinion, and getting an AKM over an AK-74.......7.62 production will never cease, as there are just too many rifles out there, the AKM being a large quantity of them, that shoot that round, it's been shown again and again to be a very effective caliber, and the cost of ammo/cost of maintenance/cost of repairs on rifle/ammo is very low when compared to many other solutions out there today. You don't have to wait for mil-surp deals to come along, or stock up because ammo is going to run dry anytime soon.

And frankly, I'm not so positive on the AWB coming back, and worse than before......anybody who has a chance of getting into office this time seems to support the idea, and the Heller vs DC case, maybe I'm not reading it right, but the arguments being made on the Heller side seemed to be pretty weak to me........I'm really thinking we are doomed at this point to another AWB and lots of restrictions over the next 4 years at least.......maybe I'm just being a doomsayer, but I don't think so......

Michigander

imported post

Regardless of caliber choice, the very best thing to buy is ammo.

The main hope for the DC case is that it can be used as case law to take on other gun laws. If it enables better use of the words shall not be infringed, we'll have a lot of ability to fight upcoming attacks from anti gun politicians.

imperialism2024

imported post

Michigander wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Best to think a tad more positively than that. We have a SCOTUS case which will probably be a victory for our side. As of right now, the very best thing you could do is buy as much 5.45x39 ammo as you can afford, then get an AK74 when you can. It's really the only good deal left in milsurp rifle ammo. It's a capable little cartridge in a capable little rifle, but milsurp deals never last long.
Holy crap! Only a little over $100 per K!

I think I might have to start adding some AK-74's to the arsena... er... collection. Soon that will be less than half of what 7.62x39 costs. The four AK-47's in the closet might get jealous, though.

curtm1911

imported post

I own an NHM-90, yes, it's Chinese, and you could call it a pre/post ban firearm. I got it for my fortieth birthday, more than a few ago. It has an ambithumbhole stock, I like that a lot, being a lefty and all. Totally reliable and loads of fun to shoot. My girlfriend was a little leery of shooting it at first, but after the first mag, she had just one word; "MORE!!!!" I shoot it more than my M1A, just for the fun of it. I love both rifles, but the fun of the AK variant is hard to beat. BTW, it is nice to know how to use the "Enemies" tools effectively as you never know what you might find yourself using when TSHTF. It is also more accurate than people give them credit for, just like any other firearm, practice, practice and more practice and you will get pretty good with them.

Attachments

• M1A NHM 90  1.JPG
    M1A NHM 90 1.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 238

WhiteFeather

imported post

I enjoy my AK very much. In a very short amount of time I can have 60 rounds on hand to take care of whatever may be the problem. I find that most accuracy problems can be solved with a nice hollow sight or as in my case a good red dot. Can I shoot sub moa groups at 50 meters? Not really but it groups good enough for what it was intended for. They are heavier than AR's but when you add the 5lbs bucket of solvent you need to keep an AR neck and neck with an AK it evens out.

With all that being said I do not think the AK is the ultimate battle rifle. Personally my vote has and always will go to the M1A1 or M14 varient. So long as it can fire in semi auto I do believe it was the greatest rifle invented. But again that is only my opinion and it represents only a short amount of time and training I have done with these type rifles.

IMG_00302.jpg

The scope has been replaced by a Truglo 2X30 and it has greatly imporved accuracy and functionality. The laser is more for show than anything, it provides a reference at 10 yards of where a bullet may hit withing a 6 inch circle.

I like AK's but then I don't there are many rifles I dislike.

massltca

imported post

I love AK47's, just need to save up and buy one one of these days. Personally it would be my first choice for extended survival situations. Or if I could bring two rifles an M14 for long range work. I like AR15's but I think the caliber leaves alot to be desired for defensive work and they require more maintainence than a Kalishnikov pattern rifle.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
I just bought an M70 Underfolder (Yugoslavian) and it will be coming in the mail this week. Does anyone else like these? I never had one before, but I figured it was time to add it to the collection. Anyone have any experience with this model?
I like the WASR-10.