Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Illegal to wear a holster?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I had left my weapon in the car butwas refused admission into the Roanoke City courthouse unless I removed my empty holster from my belt. I was told that it was illegal and I would be arrested if I tried to come in with it.Is this really illegal or were the cops BS'ing me?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    firecat wrote:
    I had left my weapon in the car butwas refused admission into the Roanoke City courthouse unless I removed my empty holster from my belt. I was told that it was illegal and I would be arrested if I tried to come in with it.Is this really illegal or were the cops BS'ing me?
    VA Code for Court Houses

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+18.2-283.1

    § 18.2-283.1. Carrying weapon into courthouse. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess in or transport into any courthouse in this Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, conservation police officer, conservator of the peace, magistrate, court officer, or judge while in the conduct of such person's official duties.
    Holsters aren't defined under 18.2-308 either http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308 as weapons.



  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    What you experienced is NOT unusual. As a rule, Deputy Sheriff's are dumber than mud fences.

    Court services Deputies are stupid by Deputy Sheriff standards. That's why they're in court services.

    If you had asked him for a cite, he'd just turn red and repeat what he just said. What can you say......just treat them like children and humor them.

    I had one tell me my motorcycle helmet was a dangerous weapon once.:what:

    One other thing...In most court houses, the chief judge can and does issue a judicial order banning things like cell phones and pagers, They can really ban anything that doesn't conflict with state law. I seriously doubt holsters are included.





  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Regular Member CRF250rider1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Herndon, VA & Martinsville, VA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    Peter nap- So is a pencil but who is counting

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.

    Damn, don't tell me your an ex Deputy....gettin so I can't pick on anyone anymore. I might as well become a Mormon.:P

  7. #7
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.

    Damn, don't tell me your an ex Deputy....gettin so I can't pick on anyone anymore. I might as well become a Mormon.:P
    Yep, sorry to say, I was. I was different though, because I know exactly what you mean about most. They used to make me crazy.


    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.

    Damn, don't tell me your an ex Deputy....gettin so I can't pick on anyone anymore. I might as well become a Mormon.:P
    Yep, sorry to say, I was. I was different though, because I know exactly what you mean about most. They used to make me crazy.

    I guess I'd better get my foot out of my mouth before I go to the Charles City BOS meeting!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Burke/Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    998

    Post imported post

    ProShooter wrote:
    We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.
    Does anyone else think that state law should require courthouses to have a place for citizens to check their firearms, so that we don't have to leave them unattended?

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Islamabad, Pakistan
    Posts
    621

    Post imported post

    I went in to the Stafford county courthouse about a month or so ago. I had been conceal carrying at the time, so I locked my pistol in the car. Went through the security checkpoint operated by Stafford's finest. Deputy sees the additional leather on the belt. I gett a "Whoa, open your jacket." So I hold open my jacket and the deputy sees the empty holster. He says,"Thanks for not bringing the gun in." I tell him, "Yeah, no problem. I don't like being locked up." Went on with my business with no problems. Just the way it should be! OH! And I didn't have to take my shoes off for a change either! :celebrate

    ETA: Yes, there should be lockers available to the public to secure those types of items prior to passing through the security point.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    firecat wrote:
    I had left my weapon in the car butwas refused admission into the Roanoke City courthouse unless I removed my empty holster from my belt. I was told that it was illegal and I would be arrested if I tried to come in with it.Is this really illegal or were the cops BS'ing me?
    Never heard that one...

    Must be a local rule but I am not sure what they are going to charge you with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •