• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal to wear a holster?

firecat

imported post

I had left my weapon in the car butwas refused admission into the Roanoke City courthouse unless I removed my empty holster from my belt. I was told that it was illegal and I would be arrested if I tried to come in with it.Is this really illegal or were the cops BS'ing me?

hsmith

imported post

firecat wrote:
I had left my weapon in the car butwas refused admission into the Roanoke City courthouse unless I removed my empty holster from my belt. I was told that it was illegal and I would be arrested if I tried to come in with it.Is this really illegal or were the cops BS'ing me?
VA Code for Court Houses

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-283.1

§ 18.2-283.1. Carrying weapon into courthouse. It shall be unlawful for any person to possess in or transport into any courthouse in this Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, conservation police officer, conservator of the peace, magistrate, court officer, or judge while in the conduct of such person's official duties.
Holsters aren't defined under 18.2-308 either http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308 as weapons.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

What you experienced is NOT unusual. As a rule, Deputy Sheriff's are dumber than mud fences.

Court services Deputies are stupid by Deputy Sheriff standards. That's why they're in court services.

If you had asked him for a cite, he'd just turn red and repeat what he just said. What can you say......just treat them like children and humor them.

I had one tell me my motorcycle helmet was a dangerous weapon once.:what:

One other thing...In most court houses, the chief judge can and does issue a judicial order banning things like cell phones and pagers, They can really ban anything that doesn't conflict with state law. I seriously doubt holsters are included.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
We used to turn folks away with holsters for their safety. That way no one would assume inside the courthouse that they had a gun at some point and no one outside would know that they had an empty holster and now had a gun locked in their unattended car.

Damn, don't tell me your an ex Deputy....gettin so I can't pick on anyone anymore. I might as well become a Mormon.:p

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Damn, don't tell me your an ex Deputy....gettin so I can't pick on anyone anymore. I might as well become a Mormon.:p

Yep, sorry to say, I was. I was different though, because I know exactly what you mean about most. They used to make me crazy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
peter nap wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Yep, sorry to say, I was. I was different though, because I know exactly what you mean about most. They used to make me crazy.

I guess I'd better get my foot out of my mouth before I go to the Charles City BOS meeting!

VApatriot

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Does anyone else think that state law should require courthouses to have a place for citizens to check their firearms, so that we don't have to leave them unattended?

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I went in to the Stafford county courthouse about a month or so ago. I had been conceal carrying at the time, so I locked my pistol in the car. Went through the security checkpoint operated by Stafford's finest. Deputy sees the additional leather on the belt. I gett a "Whoa, open your jacket." So I hold open my jacket and the deputy sees the empty holster. He says,"Thanks for not bringing the gun in." I tell him, "Yeah, no problem. I don't like being locked up." Went on with my business with no problems. Just the way it should be! OH! And I didn't have to take my shoes off for a change either! :celebrate

ETA: Yes, there should be lockers available to the public to secure those types of items prior to passing through the security point.

LEO 229

imported post

firecat wrote:
Never heard that one...

Must be a local rule but I am not sure what they are going to charge you with.