• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Fort Dix next month.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I will be visiting Fort Dix next month, and wanted to be sure that wearing an empty holster in New Jersey will be OK. Also, I would like opinions on carrying an air soft pistol, which is clear and looks obviously fake. Would this be lawful in New Jersey? I feel kinda dumb asking about an air soft pistol, but I feel naked without my sidearm, and want to make a political statement while I am there.

PT111

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I will be visiting Fort Dix next month, and wanted to be sure that wearing an empty holster in New Jersey will be OK. Also, I would like opinions on carrying an air soft pistol, which is clear and looks obviously fake. Would this be lawful in New Jersey? I feel kinda dumb asking about an air soft pistol, but I feel naked without my sidearm, and want to make a political statement while I am there.
Be sure to carry some bail money along with that airsoft and the number of a good lawyer. I have no idea the legtality of it but I am sure you willfind outbefore you leave NJ.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I believe airsoft guns are a no-no. Check NJ statutes, but I don't think they would be your friend if you showed up with an AS gun. The empty holster probably wouldn't go over too big either.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Well, this could rule out carrying an Airsoft.

2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes.
(2)
e. Imitation firearms. Any person who has in his possession an imitation firearm under circumstances that would lead an observer to reasonably believe that it is possessed for an unlawful purpose is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

DT4E31

imported post

I dont believe anyone in NJ would understand what your empty holster is trying to make as a statement. It would probably just generate negative attention. Perhaps a T shirt supporting the 2nd Amend and open carry would be easier understood in joisey.:)

Decoligny

imported post

If you do wear an empty holster in Jersey, be careful not to get pulled over with it on. This could give the LEO probable cause to believe that you have a weapon in the vehicle, and give them justification to do a complete search of the passenger compartment. Not saying they would find anything, but it would be a pain in the @** to have stand there in cuffs while they take the time togo through everything.

thnycav

imported post

Add to that the fun of getting on to Ft Dix. Even if you could oc in NJ you would not be able to take a weapon on to Ft Dix. That is federal property. It is the same down here in VA. I work with the Provost Marshal office at Ft Eustis which includes Ft Story. When you get on a federal installation you automatically give your consent and are subject to have you and your vehicle searched.

cato

imported post

thnycav wrote:
Add to that the fun of getting on to Ft Dix. Even if you could oc in NJ you would not be able to take a weapon on to Ft Dix. That is federal property. It is the same down here in VA. I work with the Provost Marshal office at Ft Eustis which includes Ft Story. When you get on a federal installation you automatically give your consent and are subject to have you and your vehicle searched.
I'm not familiar with federal code but I believe only federal buildings are restricted and not necessarily all federal property (the land around a building). Other then a base commander expelling one from the property or a detention for investigation for some other crime, like sabotage etc..., what would the federal charge be for open carrying a loaded firearm on a federalinstallation in compliance with the host state'slaws (assuming OC was not prohibited by state law)?

scarletwahoo

imported post

Airsoft guns are illegal in NJ, so that is a no no. If you notice, they sell them in walmarts in PA, but not in NJ. Back when I was in high school in NJ, a few of my friends had airsoft guns, but had to drive to PA to get them.

"Firearm or firearms" means ... It shall also include, without limitation, any
firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature"

full text here, http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

thejax

imported post

PT111 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Be sure to carry some bail money along with that airsoft and the number of a good lawyer. I have no idea the legtality of it but I am sure you willfind outbefore you leave NJ.
PT111, you gotta knock it off. That is hilarious. I just about fell off my chair. Haha.

What PT111 is saying is very true by the way. I would look into that pre-paid legal or have an attorney already retained.

First, BB and pellet guns are illegal in NJ. So have fun with that. You will be charged with a firearms charge as in NJ it is considered a firearm.

Second, the holster is a very bad idea. Is wearing a holster illegal in NJ? No, ofcourse not. But it will give suspicion on that you MAY be carrying.

I live in PA. I have a few permits from various states and I carry, ofcourse. I grew up in NJ and years ago, I used to have a NJ CWP, for educational purposes only, when I did some police training.

Now I get pretty pissed off that I cannot carry in NJ. I usually take the train to work as trying to drive back across the river at 5pm is a real hassle. I usually disarm myself and leave my firearm at home. Once in awhile, I do drive to work. When I do, I secure my weapon and ammo in separate lock boxes in the trunk and then come to NJ for work.

Now I know ALLLLL about Fort Dix. My employer frequently sends me there. Every single time, its a hassle. No matter what entrance it is. Sometimes I happen to be wearing my holster as its semi-permantely attached to my utility belt. Depends on what day. When I get up to the gate, the ask me for ID. Then they ask if I am carrying a weapon. I tell them ofcourse not, I am not allowed to carry in NJ or on a Military Base.

Well somehow, some way, they know about all me previous and current permits and now its pull over there and here comes 20 questions. Sometimes its the same guy from Fort Dix PD.

So I mean I try not to wear my empty holster and sometimes I have to go to the base on a moments notice. But its not really the holster honestly, its the fact that they know abou tmy permits. How? I have no idea. But all and all, be careful.

WheelGun

imported post

I recently had the opportunity to do some training at Fort Dix. Technically, if I get someone above me on the chain of command to include in my orders that privately owned weapons are acceptable on base, (which, on most bases, accomodations are regularly made for private weapons) than that should do it for transportation within the state.

I turned down the opportunity without hesitation. I don't want to travel through New Jersey, in full U.S. military uniform, with military orders on my person and a handgun in the trunk.

I know too much about New Jersey to risk it.

thnycav

imported post

thejax wrote:
So I mean I try not to wear my empty holster and sometimes I have to go to the base on a moments notice. But its not really the holster honestly, its the fact that they know abou tmy permits. How? I have no idea. But all and all, be careful.
They probably ran you through NCIS. It will get all that information.