• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fl. private party transfer of pistol regulations?

cato2

imported post

A friend is going to Fl to visit her son. She wants to give him a pistol she bought in Ca. I know fed regulations require her to use an FFL between residents of different states and that there is no "family" exception.

She may be accepting work in Fl and becoming a Fl resident.Ifthat happens, what are the laws for private party transfer of pistols in Fl between residents if any?

Thanks in advance.

Hotshot718

imported post

Not sure regarding out of state transfers, but if she becomes a FL resident she can just do what my mom did:
"Here's your Christmas gift, kid!"

I opened the box and found a Glock 17. Easily the coolest Christmas ever! Gifting of guns is just like a private sale here, I think. Just give it to 'em. No paperwork or nothing. My wife got a .38 Kel-Tec on our wedding day from my mom in pretty much the same fashion with a little "Welcome to the family, now let's go shooting!" Hope it helps!

Hotshot718

imported post

Damn straight. every single one of my firearms have been gifts. the most treasured is the Olympic Arms AR-15 my grandpa gave me for high school graduation. He insisted he and i be the first to shoot it together. a lot of fond memories of me and the old man reloading ammo (he had a nice setup for that which my oldest uncle got after the funeral) for that thing and shooting it all the next day.

bamboy727

imported post

There is no paperwork required to transfer a firearm privately, whether as a gift or as a sale, so long as both parties are Florida residents and are legally allowed to own a gun. In a private transfer, the legal age for a handgun is even lowered to 18 instead of 21.

Keep in mind, however, that it is a federal crime to knowingly transfer a firearm to anyone who cannot legally own one, even if it is just for a second. To be safe, it is a really good idea any time you are selling a firearm to another individual, you should make out a simple Bill of Sale in which youhave the transferee sign that they can legally purchase that firearm pursuant to federal and state law. It doesn't have to be complicated:

"I _________ am not legally, under state and federal law, banned from possessing a firearm"

This would take you two seconds to write out and have them sign andit wouldprotect youif it was later determined that that person was not allowed to own firearms.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

bamboy727 wrote:
There is no paperwork required to transfer a firearm privately, whether as a gift or as a sale, so long as both parties are Florida residents and are legally allowed to own a gun. In a private transfer, the legal age for a handgun is even lowered to 18 instead of 21.

Keep in mind, however, that it is a federal crime to knowingly transfer a firearm to anyone who cannot legally own one, even if it is just for a second. To be safe, it is a really good idea any time you are selling a firearm to another individual, you should make out a simple Bill of Sale in which youhave the transferee sign that they can legally purchase that firearm pursuant to federal and state law. It doesn't have to be complicated:

"I _________ am not legally, under state and federal law, banned from possessing a firearm"

This would take you two seconds to write out and have them sign andit wouldprotect youif it was later determined that that person was not allowed to own firearms.
I see no reason to do this - a self-serving statement does nothing for you if you are prosecuted for unlawful transfor - it may not even be admissable as evidence. Private means private!

juking

imported post

Mike wrote:
bamboy727 wrote:

I see no reason to do this - a self-serving statement does nothing for you if you are prosecuted for unlawful transfor - it may not even be admissable as evidence. Private means private!
Thanks so much for giving me the answers that I was looking for. Does the same apply to ammo? I plan to sell myshotgun and .45 w/(cases,ammo,accessories,etc.)in the coming months. Can anyone tell me the 'safest' way to advertise? I have approx.three months to sell them (I'm moving over seas), and I just wouldn't want any surpriseslater after I'm long gone.Forgive me, as I probably worry too much anyway..but is there a number that you can call to verify that the buyer is o.k., like they do in gun stores when you buy them? I heard somewhere that you can do this. Thanks again!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LeagueOf1607 wrote:
A friend is going to Fl to visit her son. She wants to give him a pistol she bought in Ca. I know fed regulations require her to use an FFL between residents of different states and that there is no "family" exception.

She may be accepting work in Fl and becoming a Fl resident.Ifthat happens, what are the laws for private party transfer of pistols in Fl between residents if any?

Thanks in advance.

Perason A hands it to Person B.

All done.

Hotshot718

imported post

Private ammo sales are a non-issue. At Christmas time I get gifted at least a box every year from my family. As far as advertising, i haven't the slightest. hell, take 'em to a local gunshow and hang a sign around your neck! Saw a guy in orlando once with an AR-15 with a sign on a stick in the barrel that said "Make me an offer". You can also ask for a concealed weapons permit from the buyer. Then at least you know they've had at least one background check done, and hopefully haven't done anything in the interim. Whatcha sellin' and how much ya want? PM me if you don't want to post it.