• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question Regarding OC Age in VA

blackoak88

imported post

I know that you need to be 21 to purchase a handgun, but some of the stuff I have been seeing here says you only need to be 18 to OC. Which is it?

blackoak88

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
21 to buy a handgun but only 18 to carry openly...odd yes, but welcome to Va
So how does that work? Does that mean that I, at 19, could openly carry a friend's handgun even though I cannot own my own handgun? Or is there something that I'm still missing?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

blackoak88 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
21 to buy a handgun but only 18 to carry openly...odd yes, but welcome to Va
So how does that work? Does that mean that I, at 19, could openly carry a friend's handgun even though I cannot own my own handgun? Or is there something that I'm still missing?
Actually, you only have to be 21 to buy one from a dealer. You CAN own one. Additionally, you could receive one as a gift...

blackoak88

imported post

Just so I make sure I have this straight (because I don't wanna get in any trouble), I can OC a handgun at 19 as long as it was purchased privately or it was a gift. Now, if I choose to do so with one of these options for getting said handgun, how do I go about proving it was a private purchase or a gift, etc to an officer or someone else if they question it and bring up the 21 issue?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions. OC is very new to me.

W.E.G.

imported post

blackoak88 wrote:
how do I go about proving it was a private purchase or a gift, etc to an officer or someone else if they question it and bring up the 21 issue?

Where does it say you can be required to prove something that is completely irrelevant to the facts?

Prove a negative to establish an imaginary set of facts?
The law does not work that way.

If you are carrying, you are simply carrying.

If you are receiving transfer from a FFL, that's a completely different set of facts not relevant to the present inquiry.

eyesopened

imported post

Virginia has no gun registration, so no need to prove that you bought it from a private sale or gift. As long as your 18+, you're allowed to have that handgun until you prove to the court system otherwise.

LEO 229

imported post

blackoak88 wrote:
Just so I make sure I have this straight (because I don't wanna get in any trouble), I can OC a handgun at 19 as long as it was purchased privately or it was a gift. Now, if I choose to do so with one of these options for getting said handgun, how do I go about proving it was a private purchase or a gift, etc to an officer or someone else if they question it and bring up the 21 issue?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions. OC is very new to me.
It makes no difference where or how you bought it....

FFL Dealers cannot sell to people under 21 by federal law.

But you canpurchase privatelyand carry oneif you are 18 or older by state law.

It all comes down to your ability to actually get one.... brand new from a gun dealer or like new from a private purchase.

But for me, I would be sure to get a sales agreement unless you know and trust the guy you got it from. Nothing worse than buying a gun that was stolen and having LEO 229 run your serial number one day to find it was reported stolen.:lol:

Having the sales agreement and a person to point a finger at could save you from having your day in court. ;)

CRF250rider1000

imported post

On that note, is there any way that if you did get the note, could you possibly take it to the police station and have them run the serial so that you know it is clear? That way you don't have to carry the note all the time and won't have any issues down the line.

blackoak88

imported post

Thanks so much for all the help! Really appreicate it! You should all check out my thread about Students for Concealed Carry on Campus having an event in Fredericksburg w/ the NRA tomorrow!

LEO 229

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
On that note, is there any way that if you did get the note, could you possibly take it to the police station and have them run the serial so that you know it is clear? That way you don't have to carry the note all the time and won't have any issues down the line.

Not normally.....

You can always stop by when the stationis not busy and ask. Either they will do it or decline.

They probably will not do it over the phone.... if it comes back stolen they would want to question you and get the gun. ;)

If you took it to the station unloaded and locked they may feel a little better about helping you out. You safely pass them the gun and your sales slip and they could run it.

I have checked the SN for a guy once. I understand people wanting to be sure they did not buy stolen property. The agency is not going to want to get in the habit of running the SN on every piece of household property so this is not something they have to do.