• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CO - Bad guy popped a few miles from me

Evil Ernie

imported post

Usually it's pretty quiet here, but the Bad Man rears his head in the quietest of places.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=90345

DOUGLAS COUNTY – Investigators say they are not recommending that any charges be filed against a homeowner who shot an intruder.
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office responded to the 11000 block of Highway 83 at 7 a.m. on Sunday after someone broke into a home.

Deputies say the homeowner, 65-year-old William Fresch, shot and killed the intruder. Fresch was taken into custody and the body of a man was found inside the home.

Investigators say they have identified the man as 42-year-old Joseph D. Boone of Parker. The coroner's office will also determine the official cause of death.

9NEWS spoke with Fresch Monday night, he said Boone cut the bolts on the front gate, drove his car onto the property and broke into the window facing away from the highway.

"I heard some voices outside, I didn't know who it was, couldn't see," said Fresch in a phone interview. "I made up my mind not to reach for my rifle that was close by."

Fresch said he waited till the man came closer, until he was standing facing him.

"He said, 'Jesus Christ, I didn't know anybody was living there,'" Fresch said.

Fresch told 9NEWS he then reached for mini 14 caliber rifle, loaded it, then the man lunged at him and pushed him down on to a rocking chair.

According to Fresch, he did offer to let the man walk away, saying he would take the magazine out of his rife, but said Boone didn't believe Fresch wouldn't shoot him in the back.

The fight continued onto a cot, where Fresch said he had a hidden 38 caliber special. He then shot Boone in the head.

After talking to Fresch, investigators say they believe he acted within Colorado law while he was protecting himself inside his home.

Colorado's so-called Make My Day law allows for homeowners to use deadly force to defend themselves inside their home.

Deputies say the situation is still an ongoing investigation.

Gotta love stupid reporters: "
Fresch told 9NEWS he then reached for mini 14 caliber rifle..."

And then there's this little gem: "The coroner's office will also determine the official cause of death. " Uh, well....I'll give'em three guesses and the first two don't count...

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
They aren't reporters anymore. They are just media personnel.
Ain't that the truth. And then there are the reporters who insist on standing outside on the beach during a hurricane. Hurricanes have strong winds, that's why they're hurricanes. You're not brave, you're STUPID! Next story?

Most news, in fact most media in general, is designed to make people feel safe from the dangerous world outside, compel them give up their rights in the name of safety, and to entertain. On topic, when's the last time you watched a TV drama that portreyed anyone except a cop who has a gun as a dangerous criminal? I'd say the very last TV drama you watched. And of course, upon noticing the legally carried weapon, the cop illegally seizes said firearm with no protest. Conditioning.

imperialism2024

imported post

So... the homeowner is about to confront a burglar... and decides to wait until after the confrontation begins to load his rifle? I mean, I'm all for safety and everything but c'mon.

Doesn't seem like there's much to dispute here though. Home invasion, attempt to retreat, giving the BG an option to retreat, physical attack by the BG. Yup, good shoot.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Well being that the "media person" is a blithering idiot, I'm sure that "custody" is getting him out of the house and into a cruiser so they can secure the scene and get his story. This was totally a clean shoot.

1st freedom

imported post

"Colorado's so-called Make My Day law allows for homeowners to use deadly force to defend themselves inside their home."

It's called "Castle Doctrine", using the correct termmight cause people to realize that it is a"common sense" (I know, these two terms are not synonymous)gun law that states youhave the right todefend yourself in any place you have a legal right to be

Referring to it as the " Make My Day Law" comes across as irresponsible and "gun slinger" like.

I hate the Frickin MEDIA... :banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead::cuss:

Evil Ernie

imported post

Homeowner was cleared, and two others arrested in cahoots with dead perp.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=90470

DOUGLAS COUNTY – Deputies arrested two people this week after a homeowner was cleared for shooting and killing an intruder inside his home.
The Douglas County Sheriff's office says on Sunday homeowner William Fresch shot and killed intruder Joseph Boone inside his home on South Highway 83. Deputies determined Fresch was protecting himself and was justified in the shooting.

However, through further investigation, detectives learned there was a second person on the property when the shooting occurred.

Deputies say 36-year-old Cheri Penn drove off in Boone's car after the shooting. They say she fled to Colorado Springs where she met with 53-year-old Robert Garner to discuss what had just transpired.

Penn was taken into custody on Monday for questioning about the incident and was held on a no bond warrant for a parole violation. Late on Tuesday, deputies booked Penn on charges of first-degree burglary, conspiracy and tampering with physical evidence.

Deputies say they apprehended Garner on Tuesday and booked him on charges of being an accessory to a crime, tampering with physical evidence and obstructing governmental operations. He posted a $3,000 bond and was released.

Penn remains in custody.

Detectives continue to investigate.

I guess Colorado can't charge the accessories with murder as in other states, too bad.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

If the robber stopped, and said "Jesus Christ, I didn't know anybody was living here!" and then proceeded to attack the person living there, they don't deserve to live anyway. such stupidity is what poisons the gene pool.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

what is a 38 caliber special?

Good shoot though. I think the GG was being more than generous with the BG up until he had to shoot him...

MetalChris

imported post

Wow, if that doesn't show the liberal/anti-gun/anti-American bias of the RMN, then nothing does. What the hell does something that happened 12 years ago have to do with the mans rights, and who doesn't have conflicts with their neighbors every now and then? Typical liberal drivel. :banghead:

imperialism2024

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
Wow, if that doesn't show the liberal/anti-gun/anti-American bias of the RMN, then nothing does. What the hell does something that happened 12 years ago have to do with the mans rights, and who doesn't have conflicts with their neighbors every now and then? Typical liberal drivel. :banghead:
Not necessarily liberal...

Look around on other pro-gun boards and read peoples' opinions regarding criminality and past transgressions of the law. The belief that people lose certain rights because of past "criminal" activity is far from a liberal issue... in fact, I'd say that view is pretty conservative. The liberal perspective would be that people can reform, and that the past is no guarantee of future acts, IMO.

swillden

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
The belief that people lose certain rights because of past "criminal" activity is far from a liberal issue... in fact, I'd say that view is pretty conservative. The liberal perspective would be that people can reform, and that the past is no guarantee of future acts, IMO.
+1

With the modification that I've found plenty, both liberal and conservative, who are quite willing to take an argument from the other side when it suits them. In this case, it looks like a liberal reporter who knows the guy must be bad news because he had a gun to defend himself with, and goes digging for something, anything, to prove it. The fact that the something found is going to have a stronger impact on law-and-order conservatives isn't detrimental to the argument, it's a bonus.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My take is that the guy sounds like a jerk. However, that has nothing to do with his right to use lethal force to defend himself and his home.